The Battle of Magnesia

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Boores
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

The Battle of Magnesia

Post by Boores »

Inspired on the description of the battle made by Santiago Posteguillo on his book "The betrayed of Rome" the third book of his trilogy "Africanus".

Opinions for improve the scenario,thanks :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZF6M6I9H UPDATED!!!!!

The Battle of Magnesia was fought in 190 BC near Magnesia ad Sipylum, on the plains of Lydia (modern Turkey), between the Romans, led by the consul Lucius Cornelius Scipio and his brother, the famed general Scipio Africanus, with their ally Eumenes II of Pergamum against the army of Antiochus III the Great of the Seleucid Empire. The resulting decisive Roman victory resulted in Roman domination over the internal affairs of a large part of the territory once controlled by the Seleucid Empire.

The main historical sources for this battle are Livy and Appian.

If the link is desactivated temporaly,only wait,; the link isn't down :-)
Last edited by Boores on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tyrkir
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by tyrkir »

Your link does not seem to work...Otherwise, I'd be happy to try your scenario and send you some feedback :)
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

the link is fine, I've got the scenario yesterday. it is just temporarily unavailable, megsaupload does this now and then, relocating the flies. it will be available soon, just recheck it.
Amandil
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Amandil »

Holy guacamole, that looks epic!
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Epic is the right word! OH my , 3 ranks of pacs to deal with!, Dl now.

Nice pic's by the way, what artist is that?
tyrkir

Post by tyrkir »

@ Cothyso: thanks for the tip! Will try again.

Pics are very nice indeed.
Boores
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Boores »

UPDATED

1- Romans Hastati have Pike now,like the book about i made the scenario
2- Romans have 2 elephants,in real history have over 10 and Antiochus 60 :shock:
3- Romans principes now superior instead average
4- Silanus and Publius Cornelius Scipio son, are Elite
5- The last line of Argyraspides is now a line of Pikes.
Last edited by Boores on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

I'm sorry to disappoint you, mate, but the hastati were not having pikes at Magnesia. Actually, the romans kinda never used pikes in their legions, and they've dropped the spears for quite a while at the moment the battle took place.
Boores
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Boores »

Scipius gave pikes to hastati instead their pila on Magnesia, i have read that on the book of Santiago Posteguillo. Africanus took that decision only for that battle. The pikes of the Argyraspides are too long and the pikes that hastati uses are longer than the old hasta like first hastati used. First contact with pike,second gladius hispaniensis atack
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

there's no ancient source, at least of which I know of, saying that at magnesia the hastati were using pikes.
Boores
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Boores »

The book i'm reading say that. I don´t know if is a novelistic resource or if the autor took that information on any book of the extensive bibliography that the book has, but like i´m making an scenario about the description of the battle on that book, i think that the hastati may use pike. Enjoy the secenario mate, the ancient history it´s imposible knows on truth,we can´t watch the battle :cry: ,we have to resign with the descriptions of the manipulate roman historians.
Cheers :D
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Post by cothyso »

well, the primary sources do have some role in this. but of course. if you want to do a scenario after that book, it's ok. thank you.
amenofi64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by amenofi64 »

Hy, the scenario is interesting, but i think are enough unbalanced to seleucid's advantage.
Particurarly the elephants battles groups should be reduced every to 10 elements to respect the other units reduced strenght.
Notable work in any case.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

amenofi64 wrote:Hy, the scenario is interesting, but i think are enough unbalanced to seleucid's advantage.
Particurarly the elephants battles groups should be reduced every to 10 elements to respect the other units reduced strenght.
Notable work in any case.

Ah dont ruin it for me! :D Am currently playing Boores himself with the Selucs.. I do have a lot of pacs though, but methinks if there is an unbalance it might be the 20 or so cataphracts that are opposite the less than stellar roman cavalry.
Boores
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Boores »

I think that opinions about balance are welcome but when we finish the game because Hastati have pike and Eleph are bad with pike,but good with the second line of Principe, Catraphacts are good with my cavalry but a good maniouver can destroy your catraphacts,a good maneouver with cavalry and Infantry. I've played two games with the old scenario and wasn´t too easy win the romans believe me. Play a game,and when finish discuss the balance or unbalance of the game.

Thanks, and cheers. :-)
amenofi64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by amenofi64 »

Hi, i've tryed five times the scenario by the roman army and five times i've been defeated by the seleucides...particurarly, as i've already writed, the elephant units look like indestructible.
Boores
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Boores »

My battle with Greymouser. I've played with romans and i've lost by minimal defeat. The elephs aren´t indestructible. Try to play with Hastati and triarii in first line and principes only with Phalanges. Use your two elephs to fight with seleuc cavalry on your left flank, and use the advantage of the hill position on left flank. Move some velites to the marsh zones to fight with some seleuc cavalry if those cross the defence.

Cheers. :D

Return to “Field of Glory : Scenario Design”