Official FOG:R Errata now available

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Official FOG:R Errata now available

Post by rbodleyscott »

As a temporary measure (until the field of glory web-site has been reorganised to include a FOGR section) these can be found at:

http://slitherine.com/fog_r
Last edited by rbodleyscott on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
tgreene
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

FoGR errata

Post by tgreene »

Are there any permanent measures being contemplated to address this? Will a revised Wars Of Religion army list book incorporating the errata be released? If so will those who purchased the flawed WOR books be offered a rebate or even an opportunity to trade in their flawed books for correct ones?

Best,

Tim Greene
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: FoGR errata

Post by rbodleyscott »

tgreene wrote:Are there any permanent measures being contemplated to address this? Will a revised Wars Of Religion army list book incorporating the errata be released? If so will those who purchased the flawed WOR books be offered a rebate or even an opportunity to trade in their flawed books for correct ones?
I fear not. (I don't think it is normal publishing practice to replace books because they have some typos.)

Apologies if you do not find this satisfactory.
tgreene

Post by tgreene »

No 30YW French Allies list among other ommissions is considerably more than a few typos. I paid good money for the book and didn't get full value. The product I bought is not complete or correct.

Funny how you guys get all pissy about people xeroxing or reproducing your materials and expect us to respect your intellectual property rights which I, for one, do but have no respect for our right to value for money. Guess it doesn't work both ways does it.

TG
Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy »

Calm down, I for one have no problem in printing off a few pages and taping the ally list into my book. If that is the worst thing you have to worry about today, you have had an ok day.
tgreene

Post by tgreene »

You know what? Back in the days when army lists were published in black and white with maybe a monochrome cover and black and white line drawings I wouldn't have had any problem with that either. But for some reason I am hesitant to take whiteout and a pen to a high end product published on quality paper with color illustrations. Fields of Glory books have been marketed to us as more than just rules and army lists. They have been marketed to us as reference works, painting guides, and coffe-table quality publications with high quality artwork. That is why we are expected to pay such high prices for them compared to what army lists used to cost back in the day. Cutting and pasting errata and addendums into them kind of defeats the whole purpose of owning them in the first place. Might as well get copies of the lists we need from friends or fellow wargamers. Oh, I forgot, we are not supposed to do that because it would violate the intellectual property rights of the authors. Silly me.

TG
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I do understand your reluctance to write in your nice book. In my view a better solution is to print out the errata and leave the printout loose in the back of your book - then check it against any apparent anomalies in any list you are using.

We are working extra hard to reduce the number of errata in the later books, but no doubt some will creep in however hard we try to avoid it. The economic model simply does not allow us to replace all the books. If we had to do so, essentially it would not be economically viable to publish them at all. Despite the cost to the end user, the profit margin is not that great. It certainly does not provide any sort of realistic compensation for the time spent writing them. We are doing this in our spare time as a labour of love, not to make a living, and certainly not to make a fast buck.
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

If Richard and Nik are making any money out of FoG:R they certainly are not spending it on clothes... :)
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Won't ask...trying not to visualize it!!! :shock:
nickdives
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by nickdives »

I printed out the errata, I demand compesation for the ink and paper used, an invoice will be sent seperately!!!
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

Actually I just got my trusty pencil and wrote the minima & maxima in the book for the French allies.

Can I sue for the amount of lead used ? You owe me at least 3 cents !!
tgreene

Post by tgreene »

I agree that it wouldn't be fair to have to replace each and every army list book for free either. But what about giving people who bought the books the option to purchase a new copy, when a second printing run is done and the errors are corrected, at wholesale if they send back the first book they bought ?

TG
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

tgreene wrote:I agree that it wouldn't be fair to have to replace each and every army list book for free either. But what about giving people who bought the books the option to purchase a new copy, when a second printing run is done and the errors are corrected, at wholesale if they send back the first book they bought ?
It's an interesting idea. I myself have no say in such matters - which would be decided by Osprey/Slitherine. You might like to contact them directly as I doubt if they regularly read everything on this board. However, I have no idea when a corrected reprint is planned (if at all).

Try PMing jdm.
david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 »

timmy1 wrote:If Richard and Nik are making any money out of FoG:R they certainly are not spending it on clothes... :)
Your a hard man Tim...................Richard looked very smart when I saw him at Derby and Nic was drinking out of a nice bottle did'nt notice his clothes mind you.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

rbodleyscott wrote:I do understand your reluctance to write in your nice book. In my view a better solution is to print out the errata and leave the printout loose in the back of your book - then check it against any apparent anomalies in any list you are using.

We are working extra hard to reduce the number of errata in the later books, but no doubt some will creep in however hard we try to avoid it. The economic model simply does not allow us to replace all the books. If we had to do so, essentially it would not be economically viable to publish them at all. Despite the cost to the end user, the profit margin is not that great. It certainly does not provide any sort of realistic compensation for the time spent writing them. We are doing this in our spare time as a labour of love, not to make a living, and certainly not to make a fast buck.

The way I see it, at least you are willing to write the errata! Many wouldn't bother. We tried for years, eons ago, to get Avalon Hill to publish errata about a game called The Longest Day, but they seemed to not want to admit to errors. :cry: A page printed and tucked in to the back works fine. If it has official type logos or such, everyone knows it's the real thing. Now...version 2 of FoG AM...I'm hoping that doesn't require a whole new buy but a download as well...but will see! But it is appreciated that you look for/listen to us about the errors and acknowledge them.

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”