Private forum for design team.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, nikgaukroger, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Spanish Colonial list - Cavalry

Post by rbodleyscott »

A pile more queries re this

1) Should lancers be available right up till 1698? If so, should numbers diminish later?

2) Should there be an end date to the LH mounted arquebusiers?

3) Should there be some Carbine, Melee Pistol Horse after 1600?

4) Presumably the other post-1600 Horse should be Impact Pistol rather than Shooting Pistol?

5) Should there be Determined Horse after a certain date? If so, should there be an end date for the Pistol, Pistol Horse?
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Spanish Colonial list - Cavalry

Post by nikgaukroger »

rbodleyscott wrote:A pile more queries re this

1) Should lancers be available right up till 1698? If so, should numbers diminish later?
Well the lance was certainly still seen as a viable weapon in the 1650s, and the military in the colonies was even more conservative in many was than that in Spain, so I don't see why not. Numbers are restrained post 1580 with a list note IIRC - although with the recent changes to the list it may well be possible to express it more elegantly now.

2) Should there be an end date to the LH mounted arquebusiers?
Possibly, however, as the main role of the horse became patrolling they could still be possible perhaps. I have no issue with some sort of arbitrary end date if you feel the need.

3) Should there be some Carbine, Melee Pistol Horse after 1600?
The info I found was that pistols replaced the arquebus on horseback around the turn of the century, hence the absolute change.

4) Presumably the other post-1600 Horse should be Impact Pistol rather than Shooting Pistol?
No. As mentioned above the horse were more patrol-men than anything, partly because warfare was more border raids than anything and formed charges and melee less important. I don't see them really having the training to be formed Impact Pistol cavalry. Even without a melee pistol they will be + PoA at Impact if the enemy do not have pikes, etc. against their historical enemies - and for John it means the Buccaneers will not just be ridden down.

5) Should there be Determined Horse after a certain date? If so, should there be an end date for the Pistol, Pistol Horse?
I didn't want them to be Determined Horse as I think it will make them more useful and important a part of the army than they were. Also the backward (militarily) idea.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Fair enough, I just wanted to check that it had been thought through. My apologies for doubting.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

rbodleyscott wrote:Fair enough, I just wanted to check that it had been thought through. My apologies for doubting.
No worries, always worth asking - I rather surprised myself how much I had thought about it :lol:
Nik Gaukroger

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Some additional possibilities to consider:

1) Consider reducing maximum of Superior lancers to 12 - on the grounds that larger forces would be scraping the barrel.

2) Consider reducing maximum of Carbine, Pistol cavalry to 12 - on the grounds that larger forces would include some lancers

3) Consider reducing maximum of Pistol, Pistol cavalry to 16 - on the grounds that larger forces would include some lancers (Perhaps less tenable)
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

rbodleyscott wrote:Some additional possibilities to consider:

1) Consider reducing maximum of Superior lancers to 12 - on the grounds that larger forces would be scraping the barrel.
Reasonable.

2) Consider reducing maximum of Carbine, Pistol cavalry to 12 - on the grounds that larger forces would include some lancers
Also reasonable.

3) Consider reducing maximum of Pistol, Pistol cavalry to 16 - on the grounds that larger forces would include some lancers (Perhaps less tenable)
Wouldn't bother with this.
Nik Gaukroger

Return to “FoGR Lists”