Time of Fury beta version Barbarossa solo AAR

After action reports for Time of Fury

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Time of Fury Design

Anraz
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Anraz »

Supply is distributed by railroads. Have a look here viewtopic.php?t=21888 !
gwgardner
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Re: Wow

Post by gwgardner »

Agent_Smith wrote:Great AAR GW.,
Is the A.I. more aggressive or playing differently to the TOW equivalent?
Is rail supply now in effect or only benefiting strat moves?
(and thanks for showcasing my, and all the other modder's efforts here)
Agent S
Indeed, RRs are now critical to supply distribution. Check out the section of this AAR on the first page, where I describe the interaction of RRs, convoys, ports, and (virtual) roads in the distribution of supply, re the situation in North Africa.

I'm just 6 turns into Barbarossa scenario. The British AI in NA is quite aggressive and smart, it seems. It could have brought a unit into Tobruk, but didn't. In the east it's too early this time around, but in my first stab at Barbarossa in Time of Fury, the Russian AI creamed me in the winter of '41.

In my playtesting of the Clash of Titans and Gotterdamerung scenarios, the Soviet AI is not only aggressive but downright dangerous. In that latter scenario, the British and US AIs can get bogged down in Italy (but then so they did for a while historically). On the other hand, if the German player doesn't work hard at holding the line Italy, the Allied AI will break out. DDay is carried out with varying results for the AI. I've seen it both successful in France and I've seen it get stuffed, based upon the situation at sea with the success of the convoy raiding. There are so many variables at play that the programming of the AI is difficult for DDay, but it is defintely there.

I have not yet tried the German AI in any of the big scenarios. Still to come.

There's so much in this game, but it all just plays so easy, intuitively, and interesting. I can't praise it enough.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

July 24

The campaign continues as Army group south has closed the ring around the strong Soviet defense force around Kishinev. I still don't have the strength to do a head-on assault, so cutting off the supply to those units is imperative.

The encirclement is not secure. If the Soviets wish to, they'll be able to break out to the east.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

AGN Is moving forward into Lithuania, while a detachment of 4 divisions attempts to mop up resistance in Latvia. The coastal city of Vinspils can easily be used by the Soviets to supply their forces in Latvia, so I must take that city quickly. The Baltic Fleet has been ordered north to attempt shore bombardment prior to any land attack on the city's defenders. Shore bombardment softens up the defenses, lowering their combat effectiveness.

Only one bombardment against a specific target is allowed in a turn. I'm sending forward a force of cruisers and battleships, attempting to get by the Soviet naval presence.

After selecting the bombardment option, the available targets are shown on the map.

Unfortunately, the Soviets were successful in intercepting most of my bombardment force, and only one battleship is able to open fire on Ventspils, doing rather minimal damage, and thus not lowering the effectiveness of the defender much.

Notwithstanding 6-1 combat odds, the defender in Ventspils was able to hold out. My assaulting forces have spent their momentum and will have to regroup to make another attempt later. [I forgot to make a screenshot of the after-combat results, but this one shows the reduction in effectiveness caused by the shore bombardment.]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

It should be noted that there is a high probability in this scenario that the Soviet Army will experience severe shock to morale and effectiveness at the beginning of Barbarossa. This period of lowered capability lasts a varying period of time, if at all. The 0-2 combat units that are seen during this period are actually stronger units, and will return to their full effectiveness when the shock of the invasion wears off. What has been a relatively easy slog early on for the Wermacht, at least in some areas, will become less easy eventually, as the Soviets get back on their feet.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Aug 1 '41

For AGN and AGC progress has been good, but for both Army Groups infantry needs to be brought up before the armor can continue much farther. [player note: in my first stab at this scenario, this was the point that I blew it, because I totally failed to protect the flanks of my armor. The Soviets sent in their own armor to cut me off. Out of supply, out of bullets.]

AGS has had slower progress. How I allowed myself to commit like 10 infantry divisions and 2 mech divisions to containing the Pripets I don't know!!! If I fail to take the Ukraine it's going to be due to this Pripets fiasco.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

There are signs that Berlin is more and more discontent with the West Front commender (me!). Having sent a total of 8 divisions to Brittany to surround and eliminate the French resistance group, I have so far succeeded only in chasing it through the countryside. I will have to redirect my air assets in the region, from the vital anti-shipping role, to this nuisance, before the rail lines to Brittany are cut.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The Royal Navy is constantly on the prowl. The British and the US are maintaining convoys to the Soviets, and thus their presence in Norwegian waters is probably not a sign that they are intending to invade there, but merely to protect their shipping.

I maintain an air presence in Norway to prey upon the vaunted British fleet.

[player's note: behind the scenes info here - the naval AI is smart enough to determine when the enemy has a superior level of anti-shipping air assets in a region, and will redirect its movements accordingly.]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

And in North Africa at the beginning of August, the Axis desert force is in a race for its very life. The British are in relentless pursuit, ever threatening to cut off an escape route. I fear they have succeeded as far as the Italian 20th Armored is concerned. That unit is going to end up besieged in Barka, no doubt. It remains to be seen if Rommel can extract the AfrikaKorps. Recall two weeks ago when he was ordered to retreat, and he spent the next few days mauling an Aussie brigade on his flank. Those few days are coming back to haunt him. He would have been 90 miles farther west by now if he had simply disengaged as ordered.

At least I have been able to rebase my air force without loss.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Compounding the misery, and my own dismay:

Seems I didn't learn my lesson in France. Once again: IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THE RESISTANCE, IT WILL BITE YOU! So I ignored the report that a Greek partisan unit had appeared in the Peloponessus. Now I'm going to have to entrain security forces from Croatia or Bulgaria to come down and take care of this rebel insurgence. The presence of those ancient enemies is really going to make the Greeks feel like cooperating.

At this point I don't even have accurate info on what the resistance group has near Patras. All I know is that they have taken the town and surrounding countryside, and have set up a provisional government.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Aug 16 '41

Summertime, and the livin' is easy on the Eastern Front. Or is it ...?

2nd Panzer Army has lead recon elements just 200 miles from Moscow. Trouble is, the rest of Army Group Center is far away still. My pause for regrouping never really happened, as my commanders wanted to take advantage of the easy going.

However, air recon shows that the enemy is building up substantial forces to the north near Kalinn, and to the south around Kaluga. I have nothing on either of those flanks. No telling also what the enemy has near Moscow, as my air bases are still too far away for recon.

One might think, well, so far nothing has been able to stand up against your panzers. If however, the enemy sent fast mech units of its own to cut my supply from west, those powerful panzers are no longer so powerful.

What to do?

Keep probing forward? Withdraw? Sit still and wait for my infantry support on the flanks?

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Army Group North has defeated a defensive line of 3 Soviet divisions to cross beyond Narva, on the way to Leningrad, but still is stalled outside Pskov, south of Lake Piepus. AGN's 4th Panzer is leading the way, and is less immediately concerned with its flanks, but does not know what is awaiting it at Leningrad.

The Finns are closing in on Leningrad from the north, but are moving slowly, and there is some indication that their heart is not in the fight, beyond their old borders.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Army Group South is still bogged down at Kishinev. The Soviet Tank Army there will not budge, and is able to restore part of its strength each turn. Kiev looks wide open now, from the south, but its defenders to the west at Zhitomir are steadfast. Within the week, I'm sending the 1st Panzer directly north to hopefully just walk into Kiev, and take a good portion of the Soviet air force with it.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Sadly, the Italians cornered in Barka are soon to surrender. The AfrikaKorps has been pursued continuously, with no resting spot in sight, as its reinforcements from the west are achingly slow moving down the coastal road.

It may be time to bloody the nose of the British, however.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Sept 1

AGN is poised to take Leningrad. Unless the Soviets have some forces up their sleeve, their defense there is too weak to stop 4th Panzer Army. Pskov fell on Sept 1.

All is not rosy however, as the first of the Soviet's reorganized tank corps has appeared on the flank of AGN near Talinn. This is a powerful unit, and if similar forces start to appear elsewhere, the offensive could be in trouble. My own lines are so thin everywhere that any serious Soviet offensive would hurt.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Overall situation. I figure to have 4 more weeks of good weather, followed by the onset of the Fall rains and mud, which will give way to ice and snow.

Four weeks to accomplish the taking of Leningrad and Moscow. I think the panzers are invincible, unless the Soviets have more of those 9-3s in the wings. However, their infantry is toughening up. No more of the low-morale, shocked and dismayed frontier troops. Just lots of 1-2s and now 2-2s starting to show up. Those can often not even be knocked out in one blow even by the panzers.

So the Panzers will truly have a tough time doing all the work themselves. I desperately need to get the infantry up. not only to guard the broad flanks of the army groups, but to guard the flanks of the Panzer armies themselves, closer in.

The Red Air Force is also starting to hit back. I've taken out thousands of their planes, but they're building them again, and starting to focus in on my advanced units.

Down south, 1st Panzer is heading into the vast expanses of the Ukraine. Current goal Dnepropetrovsk.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Sept 16

4th Panzer has entered Leningrad, and taken the very heart of the city [there is an MSS (main supply source) in one of the Leningrad hexes]. The supporting infantry has not moved up fast enough to make the hold on the city completely secure. I'm worried about the presence of a strong soviet tank army south of the city, which could cut north and divide the 4th Panzer. However, that risk is certainly worth taking.

[player's note: remember that the Soviet Barbarossa shock event is a variable number of turns after the initial invasion. It appears that in this instance of the game, the Soviets are still suffering from those lingering effects. Another time around, it may not be this easy to drive into Leningrad.]

Once Leningrad is indeed secure, 4th Panzer will be detached from Army Group North. It is still undetermined where they will be needed most.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The drive on Moscow is now ready to kickoff. I felt it was necessary to secure rail lines into the city from both north and south, so that my assaulting units would have better supply out of Tula and Kalinin rail hubs. That took two weeks. I have a few weeks of good weather, hopefully, to take the city.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Take a look at this! Seeing that the 4th Panzer had left a huge gap in its lines, when it advanced into Leningrad, the Soviet AI did a paradrop in order to control that gap. That's just cool.

Also, looking at the event choices by the Soviets, Wastelands top-level analysts have determined why the defense of Leningrad wasn't stronger - the Soviet AI decided in an event to NOT invest in fortifications around Leningrad, but to instead invest in offensive capability.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Oct 1

The weather holds steady, scattered rain, so the campaign around Moscow continues full steam.

I got careless and failed to bring up infantry to control the Kalinin rail hub/supply source, and the Soviets dashed in quickly to retake it. Meanwhile closer to Moscow 3rd Panzer feels the pinch of supplies that were lost in Kalinin, but continues its assault on the northern approaches to the capitol city. 2nd Panzer does the same from the south, with better supply. Both armies are coming into contact with much stronger Soviet infantry, although it appears that the Soviet upgrade effort will be too little too late.

True to his reputation as a leader from the front, General Guderian has already planted a forward HQ in the southern suburbs of Moscow. He rode along with 24th Panzer Korps as it smashed through into the city. 7th Panzer Divison has been ordered to close the gap that opened up with the speed of the 24th driving north. We don't want a repeat of the desperate Soviet attempt to cut off the lead panzers, as they did in Leningrad.

Return to “Time of Fury AAR's”