Unit Stats Panel

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Unit Stats Panel

Post by uran21 »

How much unit stats panel is important for you?

Would you like optional setting to have it turned on by default?

Would you trade minimap for displaying unit statistics?
Obsolete
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Obsolete »

I always keep this on.

I had asked before though for a hot-key for this one. That way people can free up more real-estate if they wish, but also have it handy at the touch of a key.
Experience Ratio = (def exp level + 2)/(att exp level + 2)
Entrenchment Ratio = (def entr rate + 1) /(att entr rate + 1)
Jmcmenamin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Unit Stats Panel

Post by Jmcmenamin »

uran21 wrote:How much unit stats panel is important for you?

I find it very useful.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Please don't remove the mini-map. However, for people who run on smaller resolutions, I can see how if you allowed the use of a DOCKABLE GUI, that would be really nice. People could customize their own GUI for Corps.
Acererak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Acererak »

I am finding myself checking stats by the alt+click in the unit every time. The I panel is a bit confusing to me, since never quite sure which unit is in which column. If anything, I would vote for changing the mouse buttons : left click for unit selecting and all orders and right clik on unit for stats panel.

I do use the minimap for checking objectives, which in turn give a quick overall picture of the battlefield, besides being a quick way to navigate it, so I vote for stay.
apanzerfan
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by apanzerfan »

The current minimap is quite messy, imo
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

apanzerfan wrote:The current minimap is quite messy, imo
Any suggestions what we can do to make it less messy?
tnourie
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by tnourie »

I use the Unit Stats frequently, and would work better for me in place of the minimap. Perhaps the Strategic map can be three tier so we don't lose useability of that feature? Mini\Strategic\Back to Operational?
Thanks,
Tim Nourie
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

You know, I wonder about just removing the back-panel from the unit stats, so you could free up real-estate but still get the same information.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

No use for mini map.

Perhaps if the scenarios were 2 3 or 4 times larger maps.

Now, it is a slight scroll. Just zoom out and you can see objectives easily.
OmegaMan1
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by OmegaMan1 »

I use the strat map more than the minimap. I think for the minimap to be more useful it would have to be bigger, but then that makes having the strat map redundant. Maybe have the option to switch views between a unit stat panel and the minimap so you can leave it up to the player's discretion.
pupski

Post by pupski »

I use the info panel all the time. I've played around 12-15 maps now but still cannot remember the stats of each unit, probably also to do with y memory :-)
But besides that I find it important to compare units and to be aware of what which units powers are. It's also when first playing really useful to get to know the units. It would be nice if it was open at the start of the game because it's not all that clear that it opens with the little (tiny) i button. Of course you'll remember that after one or two uses.

No the panel itself works kinda hard for me. I find myself scanning for the information up and don the list all the time and I think it takes me longer then necessary to find the right information. At the moment its just a long list with numbers icons adjoined with an other long list of numbers and icons . First I have to translate the icons to what they mean. At this stage of finding info they could be a little more pronounced. Then after finding the right icon I have to translate in my head which units I'm comparing, scan the map again for the cursor position, and then check if I compare it to the right enemy unit. It takes longer then I would like and it is not getting any faster. I play this on a 26"screen with 1920x1200 resolution by the way.

If I was designing the panel I would try to make the icons a little clearer/stronger/more pronounced. I would add a unit picture with its name on top of the lists at both sides. I would cluster the info into groups like defense, then a line (or break), the a next set of info, then a line again etc so I know at least at which part of the list I have to look approximately.

And I would like an option to get a horizontal unit info bar at the bottom of the screen, I digest horizontal info much easier, maybe because I'm used reading from left to right and not up and down. As a last remark I think that the color grey is not optimal, I would prefer a darker color, or an optional darker color. I notice that most programs I work with got darker borders in the last few years and it increases productivity, don't ask me exact how that works.

About the mini map: for me it's just there. I don't assign it any task but a glance at it every now and then for orientation and think it should be there or some where. I would be just as happy if it was floating somewhere. For scanning the map it is to small so I use the strategic map to find the enemy and the victory cities/hexes.

Now we have these little unit boxes at the side that give some info about the units and I never use them. Every time I look at them I think, what are they doing there, why do they give the info that they do but not some useful info. They could give different or more complete unit info because now, in my humble opinion they are useless. Couldn't they replace the info panel or show info about the strength, optional or with a choice that ask what info you like to see there. Or even better a toggle so you can toggle the side info between two or three settings, yes that would be nice, with a hot-key of course.

That sums it up for me except that the unit icons on the main screen are very nice and useful. Has a shot been taken yet, did the unit move,do we have fuel, beautiful, it works very well. Now if a little icon for transport type is added it's just perfect :-)
WineCape
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by WineCape »

Info panel = the number 1 for me.

"Would you like optional setting to have it turned on by default?" That would very nice, especially for relative NEW players.

I certainly would trade the mini-map for displaying unit stats. The mini-map is for me rather useless, as that space could be better used with ... stats :-)

So, if it is an "either..or" scenario, I would add my support for rather Unit Stats then mini-map.
heinrich
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by heinrich »

1. Very important, unit stats are essential for the gameplay

2. yes

3. YES

Because the scenarios are not oversized, a common strategic map would do the job, too. imho.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I've thought of another improvement for these stats. I like the fact they are side-by-side for easy comparison, but visually they could do a touch better. If our stats are BETTER, show our numbers in a dark blue or green, if worse show them in a red. And if equal use a white or something for both.

Have the enemy column also run through the same colour algorithm. One doesn't even have to read the numbers with this system to get a pretty good all-round-case comparison.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I like the idea of colour coding. I think green & red might be more visible on the grey background. Blue tends to blend in with grey.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Well, the thing is it may be best to just remove the background altogether? Or replace it with an alpha-pane, so someone can decorate a nice border around it or something.
skarczew

Post by skarczew »

pupski wrote:I use the info panel all the time. I've played around 12-15 maps now but still cannot remember the stats of each unit, probably also to do with y memory :-)
But besides that I find it important to compare units and to be aware of what which units powers are. It's also when first playing really useful to get to know the units. It would be nice if it was open at the start of the game because it's not all that clear that it opens with the little (tiny) i button. Of course you'll remember that after one or two uses.

No the panel itself works kinda hard for me. I find myself scanning for the information up and don the list all the time and I think it takes me longer then necessary to find the right information. At the moment its just a long list with numbers icons adjoined with an other long list of numbers and icons . First I have to translate the icons to what they mean. At this stage of finding info they could be a little more pronounced. Then after finding the right icon I have to translate in my head which units I'm comparing, scan the map again for the cursor position, and then check if I compare it to the right enemy unit. It takes longer then I would like and it is not getting any faster. I play this on a 26"screen with 1920x1200 resolution by the way.

If I was designing the panel I would try to make the icons a little clearer/stronger/more pronounced. I would add a unit picture with its name on top of the lists at both sides. I would cluster the info into groups like defense, then a line (or break), the a next set of info, then a line again etc so I know at least at which part of the list I have to look approximately.

And I would like an option to get a horizontal unit info bar at the bottom of the screen, I digest horizontal info much easier, maybe because I'm used reading from left to right and not up and down. As a last remark I think that the color grey is not optimal, I would prefer a darker color, or an optional darker color. I notice that most programs I work with got darker borders in the last few years and it increases productivity, don't ask me exact how that works.

About the mini map: for me it's just there. I don't assign it any task but a glance at it every now and then for orientation and think it should be there or some where. I would be just as happy if it was floating somewhere. For scanning the map it is to small so I use the strategic map to find the enemy and the victory cities/hexes.

Now we have these little unit boxes at the side that give some info about the units and I never use them. Every time I look at them I think, what are they doing there, why do they give the info that they do but not some useful info. They could give different or more complete unit info because now, in my humble opinion they are useless. Couldn't they replace the info panel or show info about the strength, optional or with a choice that ask what info you like to see there. Or even better a toggle so you can toggle the side info between two or three settings, yes that would be nice, with a hot-key of course.

That sums it up for me except that the unit icons on the main screen are very nice and useful. Has a shot been taken yet, did the unit move,do we have fuel, beautiful, it works very well. Now if a little icon for transport type is added it's just perfect :-)
You took it out of my mouth :!: Devs, please look closer at it , especially the bold text.
omegabet
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by omegabet »

@pupski
I've played around 12-15 maps now but still cannot remember the stats of each unit, probably also to do with y memory Smile
Your brain can handle only 7 +/- chunks*, this stats have 12 elements. Reducing this elements or putting them into groups would improve your brain memory.

*chunks = think of them as your brain RAM in "short term memory".
Panzer3L
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Panzer3L »

Very important.U have got to know quickly and very clearly(big fonts)what your are up against.
Especially if u wanna bring new players into the game who don't know the stats units had from the PG serie's
or are noobs to WW2 gaming.

uran21 wrote: Would you trade minimap for displaying unit statistics?
Yes absolutley.
There's the strategic map for checking objectives and also the large zoom function which gives on smaller maps (40x40 and smaller)
also a good and quick overview.

I have realy a hard time understanding why someone would choose a minimap over statsinformation unless he's the efile
creator and can tell most of the stats from top of his head.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”