Enhancement requests: Scenario Editor

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Enhancement requests: Scenario Editor

Post by El_Condoro »

I thought I would start this thread to see what improvements could be made to the Editor.
  • 1. Enable reinforcements - unit, turn, hex location to be set in the editor (Done - use action trigger)
    2. Change the G key (Generate terrain) so that it does not wipe out tiles that have been set
    3. Allow the checking of unit stats from within the editor (e.g. what is the HA of a particular tank? prestige cost? etc.)
    4. Enable victory conditions to be accessible at any time during a turn (not just at the beginning of a turn) - this is not actually an editor issue.
    5. Enable the viewing of detailed information about the scenario (link to a RTF form or a PDF?) at any point in a turn
    6. Give more space on the scenario briefing (currently it is 2 short lines). This would include date and combatants involved. startturn.htm
    7. Add a campaign editor. It can be done currently by editing the campaigns.pzdat file but there is a lot of room for error and it's fiddly. Mark Garrett's Editor has this function.
    8. Enhancement: the ability for a pop-up dialog box to display when a criteria (date, hex, unit) is met. e.g. President Roosevelt has died (1945 scenario); 17th SS Pz Div in Nurnberg, fear of the National Redoubt etc. (I'm working on an end-war scenario which is why I've thought of these examples). This would be intended to add 'atmosphere' to scenarios.
What things do you want or not want in the editor?
Last edited by El_Condoro on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

Besides total units.. on view statistics, a breakdown as to how many of each type of class, tank AT AA AD INF MTN ect....
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

9. Ability for designer to designate where new units may be placed, like a PG2 supply hex. Currently it's in and around any flag that has been held for 2 turns but that can allow spawning of units at the front when they are intended to come from the reserves in the rear of the line.

[Edit]: There is a kind of workaround for this but it's not ideal. Set the underlying terrain to entrenchment; put a city overlay on top; add the flag or primary objective. The flag can be taken, it looks like a city, but it won't be used to produce units. The downside is that units will entrench at a faster rate than a normal city. The underlying terrain could be anything, really. Of course, if you use G (generate tiles) you lose the overlay!
Last edited by El_Condoro on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
EuroBoss
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by EuroBoss »

10 destructible terrain for example bridges/railway lines

11 option of placing land and sea mines

12 option of purchasing naval units
savic13
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by savic13 »

13 Limit number of purchasing some units (like maus - limit to Max unit on map for maus to 2 will improve MP and some other scenarios) ..... El_Condoro your maps is awesome, I can imagine how will look if someone bring your options on scenario editor.
EuroBoss

Post by EuroBoss »

savic13 wrote:13 Limit number of purchasing some units (like maus - limit to Max unit on map for maus to 2 will improve MP and some other scenarios) ..... El_Condoro your maps is awesome, I can imagine how will look if someone bring your options on scenario editor.
There shouldn't be a broad cap but instead let the creator/s define thier own limts specific to the scenario/map being made.

14 Fix the AI using resources like purchasing air and naval transports when available.
massi
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by massi »

15 the opportunity to insert new custom terrain hexes
savic13

Post by savic13 »

There shouldn't be a broad cap but instead let the creator/s define thier own limts specific to the scenario/map being made.
Yesss...... speak about editor in we can chose this options.
HBalck
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Location: Augsburg / Bavaria / Germany...but I am from Eastern Germany !

Post by HBalck »

16 supply points for new units only on one map edge with rail or street entrance (like PG2 !)
17 unit replacements only one point in one round possible - simulate a more time intensive replacement (more historical for my big map mod ! and more funny!)
18 more hex typs like Brush - Vineyard - Orchard - Marsh - Beach - Village - Industrial - Bocages
19 more hex typs for North Africa Addon like Wadi - Hammada - cactus field - Palm Trees - Dune
20 more difficult street typs 1. your normal Motorways - 2. Highways (to simulate interstate/freeways) 3. Paths - for some smaller ways.......all with differnet movement parameters for all unit typs !
21 more different bridge typs for all differnet street typs like fords - woodem bridges - stone bridges - railway steel bridges - steel bridges......all with differnet movement parameters for all unit typs !
22 more different water typs like little streams - straight out canals
23 buildable obstacles (possible for building units - german Baupioniere) like Wood barricade for normally pioneers - Barbed wire - dragon tooths (Drachenzähne) - beton walls.......usable for Normandy scenarios or Stalin line etc.
24 Headquarter units for divisional - corps - army - front headquarters permit subordinated all units - supply all units only with this units possible - every Headquater unit have a limit (can be bought however in addition) of Gasoline and ammo and a troop replacement limit
25 Generals for every of this headquaters with historical names and pictures (I have 90 % names and pictures for all battles in WW2), troop signata and special Abilities (are added in the campaign !) Generals must to be exchangeably !
26 subdivide the name announcement - Tropp trees for this system with an own Announcement for every unit (Batallion) - Regiment - (Brigade) - Division - Corps - (Group) - Army - Front (Example 1st german tank division 1940: I. / 1. / 1. / 1. / XIX. / K .......If you click on the number you can see 1st tank Batallion / 1st tank regiment / 1st tank brigade / 1st tank division / 19th Army corps Guderian / tank group Kleist
27 ingame animations like General briefings or special events in english, german, french and russian languages. (BTW - I can undertand all 4)
28 Your units looks fantastic - but A little dream: full animated units in 8 (better 16 directions) with 20-30 frames for all actions like move1 - move2 - waiting1 - waiting2 - fire1 - fire2 - destroy1 - destroy2 - resulted (I know thats 1000 hours of hard work !)

I like also all other points !

H.Balck
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

El_Condoro wrote:9. Ability for designer to designate where new units may be placed, like a PG2 supply hex. Currently it's in and around any flag that has been held for 2 turns but that can allow spawning of units at the front when they are intended to come from the reserves in the rear of the line.
I think this part is along way off.
For now, if they can give us the parameter to set how long a city waits to become active for replacements. Currently it is one turn, so a unit from the rear can move two turns to get to the newly captured city. Since most maps are small changing this setting to two or three will give the player who places a unit in the rear to move farther.

Example; wait two turns. On third turn they can place. If you place in rear on first turn, then you can move two turns to be at the same location as the recently captured city. For tanks that's 10 hexes. If you extend the wait period to three turns then the player placing a unit in the rear can move their tanks 15 hexes.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

HBalck wrote:16 supply points for new units only on one map edge with rail or street entrance (like PG2 !)

24 Headquarter units for divisional - corps - army - front headquarters permit subordinated all units - supply all units only with this units possible - every Headquater unit have a limit (can be bought however in addition) of Gasoline and ammo and a troop replacement limit

25 Generals for every of this headquaters with historical names and pictures (I have 90 % names and pictures for all battles in WW2), troop signata and special Abilities (are added in the campaign !) Generals must to be exchangeably !

H.Balck
They are not going to change the supply system. Game is meant to be simple. This has been stated at least twice in the forum by developers.

16) we already have the ability to generate sources of prestige. I have them in 3 of my MP maps now. Just think of prestige as supply.
HBalck

Post by HBalck »

29 Many many more units - more transport units _ Missing are over 100 - Where is the KV-2 (BTW my favorit tank from PG - many soviet battalions had full equipment KV-2) and many more uniforms for soviets , germans and others. Some PC units looks like american uniforms set with different colours. Sorry, but the soviet / german uniforms looks a litle different like yours.
EuroBoss

Post by EuroBoss »

I have not messed with this part of the editor yet.Is it possible to award more core slots later in map like turn 21 for example?
HBalck

Post by HBalck »

30 more than 2 human players - maximal 8 for very large maps 4 vs 4 - also possible some of the own fraction units command by AI

and most important !!!

31 adjustably map image in every section of the produced PC map ! Now you can only use one image map in the full Propagation map - but I need only parts of different maps in a produced big map ! Example: For an big map - like my Barbarossa Army Group Center , full Poland Fall Weiss I can not use 50 or 60 of my army maps in one image - I must use every 1:100000 map part successively.

32 Foreground weather animations like rain , snow or sand storming with some nice very quietly weather sounds. Its very easy to to with some different 50 fames png only viewing in the map size window. Also I have all the sounds generated.

33 In the same wise possible - foreground Officers and Generals head animations for ingame helps and mission briefings. Historical faces are possible for me ! Give us a very good ingame feeling and show us the nice different uniforms for all unit typs in every nation.
HBalck

Post by HBalck »

34 Not every water hex or bigger river is frozen in winter scenarios - usable to change this things in the editor. Example: The Ladoga sea is frozen, but the Moskwa or the Wolga isnt frozen and can not crossed by units.

35 Can we crossed the big rivers with bridge eng units ? I think this unit can also use for the big rivers, but better with a new ponton bridge building feature and more time to do that.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

HBalck wrote:34 Not every water hex or bigger river is frozen in winter scenarios - usable to change this things in the editor. Example: The Ladoga sea is frozen, but the Moskwa or the Wolga isnt frozen and can not crossed by units.
This one is already possible, I used this method in some of the current MP maps.

Instead of using lake tiles to make lakes, use the deep sea tile. They look identical, but deep sea will never freeze. Then simply rename your text string to 'lake'. :)

Similar idea for rivers. Don't use a river tile, use a deep sea tile. The only difference in this case, however, is that instead of using a deep sea overlay, you use a 'river' overlay on top instead. It now looks like a river, but behaves like deep sea, impassable water that does not freeze in snow.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Razz1 wrote:
El_Condoro wrote:9. Ability for designer to designate where new units may be placed, like a PG2 supply hex. Currently it's in and around any flag that has been held for 2 turns but that can allow spawning of units at the front when they are intended to come from the reserves in the rear of the line.
I think this part is along way off.
For now, if they can give us the parameter to set how long a city waits to become active for replacements. Currently it is one turn, so a unit from the rear can move two turns to get to the newly captured city. Since most maps are small changing this setting to two or three will give the player who places a unit in the rear to move farther.

Example; wait two turns. On third turn they can place. If you place in rear on first turn, then you can move two turns to be at the same location as the recently captured city. For tanks that's 10 hexes. If you extend the wait period to three turns then the player placing a unit in the rear can move their tanks 15 hexes.
Make it optional then. Currently, if you want to give a player extra prestige for taking a flag as compared to turn-based prestige you are also giving him a supply point. That may not be, and in most cases for me, is not what I want to do. I want to give a city, a flag, 50 points of prestige and an observation point (for the hexes around) but I do not want the player to be able to spawn in the 2000 or whatever prestige points he has been saving. The current system is at variance with logistical reality and works against historical scenarios. No need for rail - just wait for a couple of turns and that flag will allow you to spawn in 7 units.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

If you have that much prestige you should be loosing in MP or the scenario has too much prestige.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Razz1 wrote:If you have that much prestige you should be loosing in MP or the scenario has too much prestige.
You're right - it works against custom scens, too. For example, in Urban Warfare or Hylan you have a reasonable starting force, lots of prestige to choose your army with and a lot of unowned flags. Why build your army at the start? - then you have to move them and run them out of fuel and, once committed you might find your opponent is attacking in a different area. IMO it's better to hold your prestige, take a few flags, wait to see what your opponent is doing and then, after the 2 turns, spawn your units in where they're needed, complete with full fuel. That's fine if the scenario designer wants it that way, but it doesn't leave the *option* of encouraging the player to reinforce from a set location or to buy an army at the start of the scenario.
HBalck

Post by HBalck »

36 An Night turn modus with an darker FOW map - for my big map mod (10 turn = 1 day) I need 2/3 night turns for every day (sommer 2 / winter 4) - Also very important for normandy scenario and others ! Sight =1 / combat parameters = 50%

H.Balck

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”