Text errors

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Text errors

Post by Kerensky »

This thread is purely for listing text errors. Grammar and spelling in the briefings, cities with wrong names, items of this nature.

If you could place all such future reports into this single thread, it would be greatly appreciated!
In the meantime, I'll try and find all the current reports and put them here.
Last edited by Kerensky on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Poznan
I also caught a typo on hex (12,14). The city is not called Legenica but Legnica.

Lodz
Konin City issue

Danzig briefing:
1. Near the beginning of the second paragraph, the word "it" should be inserted as follows: "...advance into Poland, it is vital..."
2. In the next sentence, remove the comma between the words "rail crossings."

Piatek Brief:
One typo in the Piatek briefing. In the first paragraph, remove the word "up" from the sentence: "...enormous pocket up of Polish..."
OmegaMan1
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by OmegaMan1 »

Two typos in the Kampinoska Forest briefing:

1. In the first paragraph, change "...Polish forces have been SPOTTING..." to SPOTTED.

2. In the second paragraph, change "...and IT'S many..." to "ITS."
OmegaMan1
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by OmegaMan1 »

In the Poznan scenario, was the Polish Wroclaw city incorrect (see the first post in my thread)? Or am I confusing the town with something else?
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

albert canal
There seems to be a bug in the briefing for this mission: "Your objective is to follow secure all crossings..." the "follow" looks out of place here to me - but then again, I am no native English speaker, so I might be perfectly wrong
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

All text issues above this post have been fixed.
Wroclaw is... still wroclaw. I'm still pondering this one.
Last edited by Kerensky on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Hague briefing Auxillaru should be auxiliary

May 1940 scenario, in briefing it says "follow secure" I think you mean secure.
Your objective is to follow secure all crossings.
"follow" should be removed, unless its already taken care of.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Yup, I got both of those fixed. :)
OmegaMan1
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by OmegaMan1 »

In the Warsaw North scenario briefing:

1. In the 3rd paragraph, first line, replace the semicolon with a comma in the following sentence: "... North, West, and South;"
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

dshaw62197 wrote:In the Warsaw North scenario briefing:

1. In the 3rd paragraph, first line, replace the semicolon with a comma in the following sentence: "... North, West, and South;"
Done
AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX »

Lodz Briefing:

First sentence should have a period after 'Herr General', not a comma: "Welcome back from your Danzig excursion, Herr General. I trust you and your men are prepared?" You might even add: "I trust you and your men are prepared for your next misssion?

Last sentence, last paragraph could be reworded: "The armored recon force is currently under fire, however, and time is of the essence!" 'However' and 'and' together is a kind of odd. It might be better to put 'however' in front of the sentence: "However, the armored recon force is currently under fire and time is of the essence!".

Danzig Corridor North Briefing:

Last sentance, last paragraph also could be reworded: "The past several days of combat has significantly worn down the Polish ground forces, however, so you expect fairly minimal resistance around your objectives." Again, I think it would be better with 'however' in the front of the sentence (plus 'should' should be added after 'you'): "However, the past several days of combat has significantly worn down the Polish ground forces, so you should expect fairly minimal resistance around your objectives."
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
AgentX

Post by AgentX »

Piatek Briefing:

First sentence, third paragragh. No comma necessary needed before and: "Surveillance reports have confirmed that the enemy will be attacking in waves and you must hold as many objectives are you are able."

Kampinoska Forrest Briefing:

Second sentence, second paragraph. No comma necessary needed before and: "Your objective is to seize several key cities within the forest and to eliminate as many Troop Trains as your forces are able to find."

*Note: this may be a common problem and will need to look over more Briefings to see. Commas aren't necessary in front of and unless its a list: "blank, blank, blank, and blank". Even then, some think a comma isn't necessary and are dropping it (like the old rule of 2 spaces after a period). Joining two sentences with and doesn't require a comma, though.

Yep, found another comma mistake: Modlin Briefing.

Second sentence, second paragraph: "Failing this, you should attempt to secure as many objectives as possible, and then it may be possible to either force the Fortress to surrender or leave it to be neutralized and ignored."
Actually in this case, then should be separated by commas in addition to the comma before and being dropped: "Failing this, you should attempt to secure as many objectives as possible and, then, it may be possible to either force the Fortress to surrender or leave it to be neutralized and ignored."

And, Warsaw Briefing:

Last sentence, first paragraph: same thing with so (separate with commas plus drop comma before and). "Even with the entrance of our Soviet allies into this war, the Polish government has refused to capitulate and, so, it rests on your shoulders to force them to their knees!"

First sentence, second paragraph: use a comma instead of a semicolon after South. "Although Warsaw has been cut off from the North, West, and South, there are still several avenues from the East where Polish reinforcements are still trickling into the Capital."

Second sentence, third paragraph: comma before and needs to be dropped: "These units are currently only lightly guarded by Polish Sentries and are ripe for the taking."

Last sentence, last paragraph: and should probably added after 'these guns' and 'to' dropped (plus with added before 'additional'). "Should you choose to occupy these Eastern cities and completely cut off Warsaw, High Command will automatically provide you with additional gun crews to operate these guns and use them against their former owners!"
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

AgentX wrote:Joining two sentences with and doesn't require a comma, though.
Heh.... are you suuuure about that? That's certainly not what I was taught. lol

http://depts.washington.edu/engl/askbet ... ucture.php
How to join sentences

You have two choices when joining sentences—or two independent clauses.

You can use a comma and an appropriate conjunction (e.g., and, but, or, nor, so, for, yet).

Or you can use a semicolon.

Suppose you want to join the following sentences:

1. Using this authentic batch-style method, our chips are cooked in expeller-expressed oil.
2. This oil, unlike most oil, is high in antioxidant substances.

Joining sentences 1 and 2 together using the strategies outlined above, produces two possible options:

3a. Using this authentic batch-style method, our chips are cooked in expeller-expressed oil, and this oil, unlike most oil, is high in antioxidant substances.
3b. Using this authentic batch-style method, our chips are cooked in expeller-expressed oil; this oil, unlike most oil, is high in antioxidant substances.

In Example 3a, the writer uses the conjunction "and" with a comma and in 3b, a semicolon. Each has a slightly different rhetorical effect. With "and," the relationship between the oil and the antioxidant substances is explicit. In other words, the ideas have been combined in a way that makes it clear to the reader what the relationship is between the first and the second clauses.

The semicolon, on the other hand, is no less appropriate, but the reader has to judge from the context what the relationship is between the ideas expressed in each clause since a semicolon can suggest several things, from combination and contrast to simply giving additional information. For example:

He prefers sports cars; I prefer sedans.

Here a semicolon joins two sentences that express contrast between two people's preferences. This relationship between clauses could be made even more explicit, however:

He prefers sports cars, but I prefer sedans.

Conjunctions and semicolons are both options for joining sentences, but each produces a different rhetorical effect. Conjunctions make the relationship between sentences explicit, while semicolons require the reader to determine the relationship from context.
AgentX

Post by AgentX »

Spoils of War Briefing:

Last sentence, second paragraph: "In some areas, your German forces have advanced well into regions decreed to be Soviet controlled, and in many, many more places, our Russian troops have occupied areas we had expected you to control." Comma should go after and to separate 'in many, many more places': "In some areas, your German forces have advanced well into regions decreed to be Soviet controlled, and, in many, many more places, our Russian troops have occupied areas we had expected you to control."

First senctence, third paragraph: the should be added before 'negotiating table': "Rather than bicker over these plots of land at the negotiating table, I have been authorized to engage you and your forces in proxy battle for these contested regions. "

Last sentence should probably have quotes added to the last part (plus add the): "To the victor goes the spoils!"
Last edited by AgentX on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
AgentX

Post by AgentX »

OK, I stand corrected on the comma before and, but only for complete sentences. Here's the rule: only use a comma before the conjunction if you place the conjunction between two independent clauses (two complete sentences). Some of my examples are correct and some are wrong.

Kampinoska Forrest is correct because they are not independent. "Your objective is to seize several key cities within the forest and to eliminate as many Troop Trains as your forces are able to find." "to eliminate as many Troop Trains as your forces are able to find" is not independent.

Warsaw. Second sentence, third paragraph is also correct: "These units are currently only lightly guarded by Polish Sentries and are ripe for the taking." "are ripe for the taking" is not independent.

The other couple of examples I gave were wrong and can be ignored. However, I also brought up some other errors that I hope you consider (not all of my corrections were concerning combined sentences :) ).
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

AgentX wrote:Spoils of War Briefing:

Last sentence, second paragraph: "In some areas, your German forces have advanced well into regions decreed to be Soviet controlled, and in many, many more places, our Russian troops have occupied areas we had expected you to control." Comma should go after and to separate 'in many, many more places': "In some areas, your German forces have advanced well into regions decreed to be Soviet controlled, and, in many, many more places, our Russian troops have occupied areas we had expected you to control."

First senctence, third paragraph: the should be added before 'negotiating table': "Rather than bicker over these plots of land at the negotiating table, I have been authorized to engage you and your forces in proxy battle for these contested regions. "

Last sentence should probably have quotes added to the last part (plus add the): "To the victor goes the spoils!"
He's got a Russian accent.
AgentX

Post by AgentX »

Kerensky wrote:He's got a Russian accent.
Huh? And on the other Briefings, the guy has a German accent. I don't understand the point and how it affects grammar. I thought you wanted errors reported and that's what I was doing. Should I stop? :?
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

A very, very thick Russian accent. lol :)
AgentX

Post by AgentX »

Kerensky wrote:A very, very thick Russian accent. lol :)
Well, crap. If you were making a joke about it the first time, why didn't you include the :) and lol the first time? It seemed like you were mocking me. Sorry for the strong reply. :oops:
Last edited by AgentX on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

No that was not my intention at all, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”