Enhancement requests: Scenario Editor

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

I don't see a problem with transports.

Just place all your units first, then update the statistics then place all the transport.

You can use any transport you want doing it this way.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

The problem is that a setting made should stay set not get lost when you open the unit stats dialog box again.
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

Razz1 wrote:I don't see a problem with transports.

Just place all your units first, then update the statistics then place all the transport.

Sorry, but this thinking is what leads to user-unfriendly interfaces.

It's the same with hex overlays. Sure you can give the advice to first perfect your map and only then make touch ups by individualizing hex overlays and never "generating terrain" ever again.

But this is very unpractical and only invites mistakes. People doesn't work that way, people doesn't want to work that way.

I realize you don't see the problem, but that does not mean there is no problem. Sorry Razz, but I genuinely need to ask you to seriously consider the possibility that your outlook on UI design is unambitious if not outright unhelpful.

Best regards,
Molve
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

El_Condoro wrote:The problem is that a setting made should stay set not get lost when you open the unit stats dialog box again.
To get into technical details, I'm guessing the dropdown box defaults to no transport when it doesn't recognize the value it's been fed (say, Italian Truck). And then this value is used as if the user chose it.

Either fix this, or - probably even simpler for the programmer - simply disable the dropdown and comment out the instances of setting the value when exiting the dialog. :)
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

Molve wrote:
Razz1 wrote:I don't see a problem with transports.

Sorry, but this thinking is what leads to user-unfriendly interfaces.

It's the same with hex overlays. Sure you can give the advice to first perfect your map and only then make touch ups by individualizing hex overlays and never "generating terrain" ever again.

But this is very unpractical and only invites mistakes. People doesn't work that way, people doesn't want to work that way.

I realize you don't see the problem, but that does not mean there is no problem. Sorry Razz, but I genuinely need to ask you to seriously consider the possibility that your outlook on UI design is unambitious if not outright unhelpful.

Best regards,
Molve
I agree and understand what you are saying but that is not as important as reworking the AI.

I think the UI can be fixed in the main menu and the loading of games interface plus the multiplayer layout and functions.

Those features would be better to improve first over the editor as every player uses them with the exception of multiplayer.
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

Razz1 wrote:I agree and understand what you are saying but that is not as important as reworking the AI.
Then we are in full agreement :)
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Small request: currently when you hover over a unit it gives the unit type and its entrenchment in the bottom left corner of the editor. Could it also have the name that the designer has given too, please? That way, especially if you're working on a historical scenario where units should be named, grouped together etc., you can find them easily instead of having to Shift-click each unit to find the one you're looking for. e.g. the 44 Bde in a group of 6 UK 43 Infantry.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Request: ability to change equipment type once set for a unit. For example, you set a Firefly and want to change it to a Sherman - currently you have to create a new unit with all its stats and delete the one to be replaced. Would be really nice if you could select the new type and click (Ctrl-click) on the unit to replace its type.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

El_Condoro wrote:Request: ability to change equipment type once set for a unit. For example, you set a Firefly and want to change it to a Sherman - currently you have to create a new unit with all its stats and delete the one to be replaced. Would be really nice if you could select the new type and click (Ctrl-click) on the unit to replace its type.
+1
This would really speed up editing/updating a scenario ie as new units are available.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

/bump
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Shouldn't we make sticky for Alex, El Condoro?
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

VPaulus wrote:Shouldn't we make sticky for Alex, El Condoro?
Yep. Done. :)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Here are some things I'd like to support:
Enable reinforcements - unit, turn, hex location to be set in the editor (Done - use action trigger)
I know we can do this now, I just thought it would be nice to give some kind of randomness to this. Example: set the triggered units to arrive between turns 4,10, then have a checkbox or so to activate "randomize" - this would mean the unit can arrive at some point between those turns, but not always at exactly the same turn.

(I understand right now it is always given on the first turn the hex set for arrival is free?)

Related to that:
Enhancement: the ability for a pop-up dialog box to display when a criteria (date, hex, unit) is met.
Very much needed IMO for a number of reasons. But it would also be nice if a message box appearing could be tied to trigggers like the one described above - for example when a triggered unit arrives. Right now they come "in silence" and this is easy to overlook/forget them on certain maps.
38. The ability to set a maximum strength for a unit less than 10. e.g. a battalion in a historical game might be capped at 5 strength.
Definately needed for individual units in the editor, doing it via eqp file would mean this is tied to unit types, which is not always wanted.

Overall, I support all the requests about changing the "generate tile" function so that it doesn't wipe out manual changes.

[/quote]
Hammer4000
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Hammer4000 »

the only thing i would like is a stable editor, & updated with this map that's it.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Some more ideas (hope that's not possible already):

- triggers allowing to give/take away a specific number of air/naval transports while playing a scenario

I remember in PG etc you could get additional air TP when capuring enemy airfields (not sure about the mechanics behind it), that doesn't seem possible right now in PzC (or is it?). Still, even then a solution with triggers (time, map condition etc) in the editor for both air/naval TP would be nice

- an option to enable/disable unit classes for purchase per scenario in the editor
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: Enhancement requests: Scenario Editor

Post by El_Condoro »

This request is more about the AI than the editor.

Can air units be made to use zones to specify their attack, either against a specific hex or an area, in a future update, please? It is frustrating to set air units as attackers, intended to support a ground assault, and they hare off all over the map except where you want them to attack! :) The zone system is there already, so making a target for units would be a great improvement IMO.

As I write, I think this could be for any units, not just air.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

El_Condoro wrote:This request is more about the AI than the editor.

Can air units be made to use zones to specify their attack, either against a specific hex or an area, in a future update, please? It is frustrating to set air units as attackers, intended to support a ground assault, and they hare off all over the map except where you want them to attack! :) The zone system is there already, so making a target for units would be a great improvement IMO.

As I write, I think this could be for any units, not just air.
+1

And you should be able to enter several zones so you could lead the AI units by their nose along a path, ie between objectives.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Maybe the game's minimap could be added to the editor without much trouble? If you're creating bigger maps it would help alot IMO, esp. since many changes (for example on zoom) reset the editor window to the top left map corner...
deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter »

I think it would be cool to have a feature in the scenario editor to specify that a scenario will read a specific equipment file (.pzeqp) and gamerule file (.pzdat).

In theory this could be done currently by having many "versions" of the same unit. For instance just have 3 different Panzer IVG, one starting in 1942 and expiring in 1943, yet another starting in 1943 and expiring in 1944. Each unit might have different prestige cost for instance. But this requires adding a huge list of units to one file, making organization very difficult. It is probably easier and more logical to maintain separate equipment files for separate scenarios.

There is no way to do the same for the gamerule file though.
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

An invaluable improvement would be that the editor stops resetting all overlays,stations and all this stuff while generating tiles as this is mega annoying and causes multiple times more work than necessary.
Implementing a new function would improve mapping with the editor infinitely as it would allow
direct control over each sinlge map item in its corresponding layer/level without touching
other stuff which may have been finished but gets reset to default too causing huge frustration this way
I add an image to explain what I mean

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”