Guide to create a map

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Guide to create a map

Post by nikivdd »

Easy (?) guide to create a map by Nikivdd. For our great mod community!

First of all, start the editor. Then from the file menu chose "new".
Specify width and height as the screenshot shows. And then press ok if you are satisfied with the values.
These are the values i entered. 50 hexes wide, 50 hexes heigh

Then i would like to use an image of a map that will serve as a guide for the scenario i wish to create.
This is how it is done:
Chose file from the menu, then add image pad. Browse your computer and chose the image you want to use for your project. The image will appear in your "work area" of the program.
Important: if you have more or less a square image then height and width should be more or less the same, a rectangle will require values more distinct.

This is the best way to check if your values were well chosen. Use zoom from the menu and put it on 25%. It will give you a pretty good indication if the image is not offsize. Then put it back to 100%.

Let's start working on our map.
Chose from the menu edit and then click on terrain features.

Those you need to create rivers (I and II), railroad tracks (III) and roads (IV)

Start with creating roads, then rivers or vice versa. Create railroads (if applicable for your scenario) afterwards.
The grey lines are going to be the roads.

The thick blue line (encircled in red) is unpassable river, the thin blue line (encircled in green) is passable river. Make sure that the last river hex ends where you are going to place a lake or sea tile!

And here are the railroads. Encircled in red are the grey lines with black edges, that means that a road and a railroad occupy this hex. A black line, encircled in green, means that only a railroad will occupy the hex.

Now is really a good time to save your project for the first time. Click on menu, then save or save as. Choose a name and save it to your harddisk. The name i give for this example is Gothic_line. Note that it is immediately saved as a *.pzscn file!

When you save a map in this state you will always receive this warning. But whenever you save your "map unfinished" project, you will get this message. Just click yes (ja).
Important: when you are done with creating your map (generated) and scenario (all parameters done) and you do still get this message, you will have to check and solve the source of this warning.

After you have saved your map for the first time, the savepath and scenarioname will automatically appear in the upper left corner. I find this handy.

Time to chose edit and then terrain. Start assigning different kinds of terrain to those hexes! Don't forget airfield ;).

Terrain laid.

There is a part that i haven't done yet, for the simple reason there is an area that cannot be part of battlefield. There is a part of Switzerland on the map, and all those hexes should be assigned neutral terrain.
First i'll explain how to do that:

You go again in the edit menu and select "Special Hexes"

Here is the complete set of Special Hexes:
1) Neutral terrain selector : to declare hexes neutral, or in other words, unaccessable for any unit on the map
2) Primary hex selector: to assign primary objectives
3) AXIS Ground and air deployment selector : to assign those hexes where the axis side is allowed to deploy ground and airforces at the deployment phase
4) ALLIED Ground and air deployment selector: to assign those hexes where the allied side is allowed to deploy ground and airforces at the deployment phase
5) Gold star selector: when you assign a specific hex with the gold star, the unit will get a special commendation in its log for the capture of such a hex
6) Secondary hex selector: to assign secondary objectives

I'm going to use the first tool on a region of the map.

That is the result. Notice that "neutral" hexes are darker than the free-for-all ones. Keep in mind that this is not a type of terrain, mountains, hills, forest and so on still need to be assigned.

Now it is time to name cities,ports, rivers and whatever is deemed necessary.
Cities:

Chose edit and then select "Strings"

Right mouse click on the port hex or city hex which you want to name...

This port hex i'm going to call Venice. Then press enter.

Voila! Notice that the neighbouring cities received their names too.

For cities/ports it is this process over and over again. Usually a city has only one hex but incase more city hexes were assigned for the same city, you still have to do it once. There is a fast method to give the rest the same name.
I'll demonstrate this with a river. In my map here there is one long river called Po. Instead of repeating the same process over and over again (time consuming), let's do the trick.

The first time it is done the same way as naming a city or port hex.

Hey! Wait a minute! A river hex was named Po and it is not yet in the list???
Solve this by clicking on edit and select strings again, the list gets then refreshed.

Now it is in the list.

I clicked on Po in the list and then left click on all the hexes i want to give this name...i saved a lot of time!

Hexes assigned, names given, let's have a look at the (almost) whole picture:

Image zoomed out to 25%

One very important action must be taken before the map is generated - you might regret it if you don't.

Click tools on the menu and then chose "Validate Scenario".
This tool will tell you if you forgot to assign terrain.

Oops. I forgot a tile on hex (2,6). Let's remedy that. The rest can just be ignored.

After another "Validate Scenario" no more errors were found.

Now the map can be generated and saved once again.

Chose tools and then select "Generate Tiles"

The generated map.

Search for disrepancies (or in other words generated fuck-ups) in roads and rivers.
I didn't find any in roads but in rivers...

:shock:

Let's fix that. Press spacebar and you'll see once again the pre-generated map. Chose edit and then terrain features and select the passable river.

Current situation.

Corrected. Then generate the tiles again and press spacebar. (it is possible it needs to be repeated, it is trial and error)

Looks much better.

Important: for some reasons, the ports are not always generated, you will have either to adjust your pregenerated map (so that a port icon will appear) or use the tile "ports" overlay to fix it.

Now it is time to improve the map esthetically. One has more time and patience with this proces than the other, i usually keep this at a minimum (no time).
Everything from tiles "Background" to tiles "Stations" can help you with that process. These are the so-called overlays.
I do use the rail and road bridge and a river overlays (for the river to flow nicely into a lake or sea). You can find the road bridges under tiles "roads", rail bridges under "Rails" and river overlays under "Rivers".
Important: if you need to regenerate the map for whatever reason from this point forth, all overlays (except for river estuaries) will be removed!

As you can see...

Looks better...

One last thing i do is assign flags to the cities-ports-airfields but can also be do while making the scenario.

Click edit, then select flags.

Flags placed!

From this point on i start building my scenario (scenario parameters/nations/victory conditions/victory hexes and so on) and place the units but this is not part of creating a map, but creating a scenario ;).

If something needs to be added, let me know!

Qapla'!
Last edited by nikivdd on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Guide to create a map

Post by VPaulus »

Thanks, Nico.
Again one more useful guide.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

VPaulus wrote:Thanks, Nico.
It is a pleasure as usual.

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

:lol:
airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

nikivdd wrote:
VPaulus wrote:Thanks, Nico.
It is a pleasure as usual.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Yes, thank you from me as well. This is a useful tool because the other instructions are very brief. I wish I had the chance to see this when I was starting out. Would have saved me lots of time and frustrations.
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Same here. And I still learn new things here. For example I was totally unaware that I could go back to the map in the "pre-generated" state via spacebar until it got mentioned in AM's thread.

This will be a very helpful guide.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Second part added. May it help everybody :)
AugustinMalar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by AugustinMalar »

How do you correct or delete a name that is in the strings list ?
I misspelled a name and wrote another one twice.
Thx
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

AugustinMalar wrote:How do you correct or delete a name that is in the strings list ?
I misspelled a name and wrote another one twice.
Thx
You don't have to worry about a faulty name in the string list. Just as usual, give the hex another name with menu edit/strings/right click on the hex and write the correct name, then ok/enter.

If you really want to remove the faulty name from the list: edit the *.pzloc file with notepad or smth similary and delete it from the list, then save. What impact it might have, i don't know because i never tried it. So better backup the file first.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I think you can get rid of an unwanted string or change him in the editor when you go to "Map Strings" (below scn params), there's a delete as well as an edit option.

One thing I about "special hexes": I also thought grey/green are for axis/allied deployment, but seems it is not so. I have to use grey for the USMC too, otherwise I don't get to deploy anything (playing the allied side). Maybe in single-player grey is always used for the human player...
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

bebro wrote:I think you can get rid of an unwanted string or change him in the editor when you go to "Map Strings" (below scn params), there's a delete as well as an edit option.

One thing I about "special hexes": I also thought grey/green are for axis/allied deployment, but seems it is not so. I have to use grey for the USMC too, otherwise I don't get to deploy anything (playing the allied side). Maybe in single-player grey is always used for the human player...
The player's country whether it is germany, russia or usa is always axis and thus grey deployment icons.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Any chance of getting this file in a Zip folder so that I can make a document out of it on my hard drive?
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
Rowan56
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rowan56 »

Thanks, very informative.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

I just followed the instructions and as if by magic, all the problems I had with roads and rivers not behaving like roads and rivers have now been solved.

Next mission: learn how to add captured and special reinforcement units.
faos333
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by faos333 »

Question: is it possible to change the tiles dimensions of a finished map?
I am experimenting in map creation.
I am using an already made map from Slitherine and I want to add width and height.
I think is the tools / crop resize map.

If anybody can give an answer, much appreciated.
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
Akkula
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Akkula »

Hello faos33,
Correct, you have to use the crop/resize tool.
Positive values will ADD tiles to the map, negatives values will REMOVE tiles from the map (alongside with the units on them, if any).
Best regards,
Akkula.
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.95): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
faos333

Post by faos333 »

Akkula wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:56 pm ....
thank you :D
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
Maths
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Maths »

Akkula wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:56 pm Hello faos33,
Correct, you have to use the crop/resize tool.
Positive values will ADD tiles to the map, negatives values will REMOVE tiles from the map (alongside with the units on them, if any).
Best regards,
Akkula.
And be aware that depending on how many rows or columns of hexes you add or remove there might be an offset (the editor warns you about that) between the pad image and the terrain drawn before map reisizing. No big deal but still...
faos333

Post by faos333 »

thank you guys, I am considering punting all together in one PDF all these posts from Nico and others on map creation, has anybody done that?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”