Companions Cup

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Companions Cup

Post by ianiow »

Turn 5 of Game 4 (open) Achmaenid (Europe) – hidde vs Macedonian (UK&Eire) - ianiow

The Macedonian chose to concentrate their forces and advance to take the hill on the left flank. The Persians spead their forces across the battlefield in a thin line hoping to envelope their slower opponents. The Persians made a halfhearted attempt to defend the hill but could not get enough troops there in time and chose put plan B into operation and head down onto the plains where they are more mobile. This could be a long one!
ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Comp Cup

Post by ericdoman1 »

Team captains and players

From what I have seen and know there are 6 games underway

jonno vs Matt (iversonjm)
Fedem vs Chris (batesmotel, where life is beautiful, unless you are blonde?)
Rex vs Todd (Best of mates)
Per Anders (cavehobbit) vs Pete (VauxhallbridgePete)
Ian (From the Isle of Wights and ghouls) vs Anders (Hiddeous to play against)
Graham (Maharg25) vs Olivier? (dvorkin)

Still waiting on 4 games. I have pmd Finir and nothing yet.

Any news captains

Any updates on games as well please.

Think what Anders and Ian have done,that is including a screenshot of game and jonno is excellent. How the hell do you do it though.

I know about prt scr and then past on paint but what next?
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

Tulius and I have started our game. It's the classic Macedonian vs. Persian match up. At 600 points, I've taken every thing the Macs have, even with an IC and two FCs! I'm heavily outnumbered (62 BGs vs. 48) and the Persians have a delightful defensive position of a long hill flanked by vineyards on each side. I've seen this map many times and never like attacking it.

On the bright side, Later Persians are a pretty terrible army with little to recommend it. Lots of non-shooty non-lancer cav, few skirmishers and generally indifferent foot types. He can see everything. I can see little, so his exact OOB is hard to determine. As the battle commences, I am advancing in echelon with my right flank refused.

More to come later.

Deeter
jonno
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jonno »

How I do my image....
PrtScr - Print screen
I then open GIMP - an open source image manipulation tool - like photoshop but free...
in GIMP: File -> Create -> From Clipboard
I use this to copy parts from the first screen i saved over the new image - to do a manual fog. This can be a little fiddly - and if you don't care about fog then i wouldn't worry. I can add the steps if anyone in interested...
I save the file as a .png good format for saving on the web

I then copy the file to my Google+ photos- i have an album called fog - open the album and upload the file
There are other ways of sharing - i use Google, as it is easy - just create an account.

You then need to share the photo with public. This can be done photo by photo - so you don't have to share everything
Click on the photo you have uploaded to view it - then right click and copy image url..

Then just paste this into your post...

Jon
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

It's all going a bit pear-shaped for the Comical Indians in their match against the Frayshuns. My lot couldn't fight their way out of a teabag really - and how you use nellies and heavy chariots effectively with a load of archers gawd only knows. :oops: Pers-Anders might be able to post a screen shot or two of this fiasco later.
JonPowles
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by JonPowles »

deeter wrote: On the bright side, Later Persians are a pretty terrible army with little to recommend it. Lots of non-shooty non-lancer cav, few skirmishers and generally indifferent foot types. He can see everything. I can see little, so his exact OOB is hard to determine. As the battle commences, I am advancing in echelon with my right flank refused.
Deeter
So obviously I won't say too much at this point. "Generally indifferent foot types" is spot on. :) I'm scurrying about on the hill reorganising my defensive position in response to Deeter's refusal of my left flank. Had a lot of indifferent MF in those vineyards, and for some reason am having difficulty persuading them to get out and back up the hill :wink:
cavehobbit
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by cavehobbit »

stockwellpete wrote:It's all going a bit pear-shaped for the Comical Indians in their match against the Frayshuns. My lot couldn't fight their way out of a teabag really - and how you use nellies and heavy chariots effectively with a load of archers gawd only knows. :oops: Pers-Anders might be able to post a screen shot or two of this fiasco later.
Here are two screens from turn 8 and 9 (my first screens from a fog game 8) hope you can see them. Please tell me if you can't.)

As you can see I've advanced on my left flank. My cavalry on the right moved forward in the beginning of the the battle, but I've sent them back to avoid getting involved in melee.

My advance toward the middle hill continues. Sent one of my cav to attack some archers.

Turn 13
Good turn for me after some really bad ones. As Pete tells bellow, my C-in-C was killed, after a careless attack. But my three remaining cavs seems to hold the line together with a MF light spear and a javelin LF on the extreme right flank. The middle hill close to the Indian camp is soon mine. But four BGs trying to loot the camp have just stood staring at the camp for several turns.

Turn 14
The end. The camp was looted at last, but I guess that does not matter much.

/Per-Anders
Last edited by cavehobbit on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Yes, I can see it, Pers-Anders. I wish I couldn't but I can. :lol: I have now lost half my break points - Pers Anders has lost about 20/70, so I am just about stuffed. I just hope that I don't have to be the Comical Indians in the next battle. :roll:
todd645
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by todd645 »

I had no idea that there would be such running commentary. I've missed out - so I'll make up for it.

How can I say this...

Score 1 for the US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh - that's not humble me...

The game is near completion and the comical indians (I like the name) are running for their lives. I was a bit worried at first since Rex got to pick terrain and chose a map with a big steep hill on his side for all those archers. That said, the steep hills made the Indian archers remain a bit static, so I isolated one and shot them to death. I started on the next when Rex decided to move to plan b - that is charge everything down the hill. It caught me quite off guard and he closed the BP gap. I was working my way around both flanks - one with Thracians and one with Greeks. Fortunately the Greeks were close enough to save the Skythian cavalry from elephant doom. The Greek hoplites made a wicked mess of both the chariots and elephants. The Thracians are punching through on the other flank right now. The Indians are 5 BPs from dismay. Oh - did I mention that I had a 20BP advantage to start with?

Now Rex being Rex is blaming the gods of luck.... But hey, its all in good fun. Should I post the victory map? :D

Thanks, mate for your good humor and plan B.
todd645

Post by todd645 »

The score is in...

US Team Skythians (todd645) - 39/67 ROTW Team Indians (rexhurley) - 52/47

Great game mate!
massina_nz

Re: Comp Cup

Post by massina_nz »

ericdoman1 wrote:Team captains and players

From what I have seen and know there are 6 games underway

jonno vs Matt (iversonjm)
Fedem vs Chris (batesmotel, where life is beautiful, unless you are blonde?)
Rex vs Todd (Best of mates)
Per Anders (cavehobbit) vs Pete (VauxhallbridgePete)
Ian (From the Isle of Wights and ghouls) vs Anders (Hiddeous to play against)
Graham (Maharg25) vs Olivier? (dvorkin)

Still waiting on 4 games. I have pmd Finir and nothing yet.

Any news captains

Any updates on games as well please.
Still waiting on TGM for my game to start, I assumed he was initiating our challenge. Guess I'll pm him.
ericdoman1

Scores on the doors

Post by ericdoman1 »

North America vs Rest of the World

Round 1 ROTW vs North America

Game 1 (very crowded) Thracian(ROTW) – jonno vs Classical Indian(NA) - iversonjm - started but no news
Game 2 (crowded) Thracian(NA) – TGM vs Skythian(ROTW) – Massina-NZ - ?
Game 3 (mixed) Classical Indian (ROTW) – rexhurley 52/47 vs Skythian(NA) – Todd645 39/67
Game 4 (open) Alexandrian Macedonian(NA) – Deeter vs Late Archie Persians (ROTW) - tullius - started
Game 5 (very open) Alexandrian Macedonian (ROTW) – Fedem vs Late Archie Persians (NA) - batesmotel - ?

North America 1 vs ROTW 0

Europe vs UK and Ireland

Round 1 vs UK & EIRE

Game 1 (very crowded) Classical Indian (UK&Eire) – stockwellpete 30/60 vs Thracian(Europe) - cavehobbit 20/74
Game 2 (crowded) Classical Indian(Europe) – Finir vs Skythian (UK&Eire) - Eric - ?
Game 3 (mixed) Achmaenid (UK&Eire) – maharg25 vs Macedonian(Europe) - dvorkin - started
Game 4 (open) Achmaenid (Europe) – hidde 4/50 vs Macedonian (UK&Eire) - ianiow 0/55?
Game 5 (very open) Thracian (UK&Eire)- Triarius vs Skythian (Europe) - Boores - ?

Again team captains and players some games haven't begun. I had specified that the first player was to issue challenge.

Any additional news for games that have started.

Congratulations to Todd and Team NA. Very quick game guys. It does look like the Thracians have the edge over the Indians.

Again in simple dummy terms how do you include screenshots on the Slitherine, FOG-Digital forums?

I can prt scr and then either paste in paint or on microsoft word and save in my pictures folder.

What the heck is AAR as well?

Could somebody pm me with step by step format please. Again dummy terms covering all of the points. If anybody starts by saying switch on computer GRRRR LOL.
jonno
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Scores on the doors

Post by jonno »

ericdoman1 wrote:
Game 1 (very crowded) Thracian(ROTW) – jonno vs Classical Indian(NA) - iversonjm - started but no news
Game started - i think we were the first - so the news in on page 5....

Jon
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Hi Jonno

Yes I believe you were the first.

Great concept with screenshots, Can you slow that down a little.

I thought FOW would block out the view of troops if they were behind non skirmishers.

What is the score as well. Noticed you were on 35/76, couldn't see Matt's
jonno
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by jonno »

ericdoman1 wrote:Hi Jonno

Yes I believe you were the first.

Great concept with screenshots, Can you slow that down a little.

I thought FOW would block out the view of troops if they were behind non skirmishers.

What is the score as well. Noticed you were on 35/76, couldn't see Matt's
Hi

Can you look at what I have done and. Let me know if you think it is worthwhile - and. How long the delay should be between sceenshots.

I didn't think of this until after I had started - so the pages aren't as good as they could be.
And my manual fog is a bit hit and miss....

If you think it is worthwhile - will will put together a Howto post

Cheers, Jon
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I think all these skills are great, jonno - and the wider they are dispersed among us all the better. It really helps to bring the forum alive with these "visual aids". A "How to" post would be excellent. :wink:

In my match with the Comical Indians and the Frayshuns - we have killed the enemy C-in-C!! :D Not sure yet how much difference it will make, but it could be important towards the end. Pers-Anders has got about 35 break points left now and I have 25 - and it his turn. He is also going to get my camp soon - but I have got most of my army together on the big slope so I am going to take a bit of digging out still - and I may also be able to reach his camp as well.

EDIT: my army has collapsed, bunch of useless lightweights! :roll:
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Jonno

I would say it is about a second delay at the mo.

I really do enjoy the game so a minute would be great for me, not sure about the rest. Try about 20 to 30 seconds?

Would there be a way of having 2 screenshots as well. The left and right of the map, the centre would probably appear twice but no prob.

What you have done/doing is fan bloody tastic so yes "How to do for dummies" would be great, needed, I WANT IT NOW LOL.
cavehobbit

Post by cavehobbit »

stockwellpete wrote:In my match with the Comical Indians and the Frayshuns - we have killed the enemy C-in-C!! :D Not sure yet how much difference it will make, but it could be important towards the end. Pers-Anders has got about 35 break points left now and I have 25 - and it his turn. He is also going to get my camp soon - but I have got most of my army together on the big slope so I am going to take a bit of digging out still - and I may also be able to reach his camp as well.

EDIT: my army has collapsed, bunch of useless lightweights! :roll:
Final result
Classical Indian (UK&Eire) – stockwellpete 70/64 vs Thracian(Europe) - cavehobbit 49/74

Thanks for a great game, Pete! Well played! All those Indian archers are good as long as they don't fight in melee. They caused a lot of damage to my LHs in the opening turns.

/Per-Anders
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

North America vs Rest of the World

Round 1 ROTW vs North America

Game 1 (very crowded) Thracian(ROTW) – jonno 35/76 vs Classical Indian(NA) ? - iversonjm
Game 2 (crowded) Thracian(NA) – TGM vs Skythian(ROTW) – Massina-NZ - ?
Game 3 (mixed) Classical Indian (ROTW) – rexhurley 52/47 vs Skythian(NA) – Todd645 39/67
Game 4 (open) Alexandrian Macedonian(NA) – Deeter vs Late Archie Persians (ROTW) - tullius - started
Game 5 (very open) Alexandrian Macedonian (ROTW) – Fedem vs Late Archie Persians (NA) - batesmotel - ?

North America 1 vs ROTW 0

Europe vs UK and Ireland

Round 1 Europe vs UK & EIRE

Game 1 (very crowded) Classical Indian (UK&Eire) – stockwellpete 70/64 vs Thracian(Europe) - cavehobbit 49/74
Game 2 (crowded) Classical Indian(Europe) – Finir vs Skythian (UK&Eire) - Eric - ?
Game 3 (mixed) Achmaenid (UK&Eire) – maharg25 vs Macedonian(Europe) - dvorkin - started
Game 4 (open) Achmaenid (Europe) – hidde 4/50 vs Macedonian (UK&Eire) - ianiow 0/55?
Game 5 (very open) Thracian (UK&Eire)- Triarius vs Skythian (Europe) - Boores - ?

Europe 1 vs UK & Eire 0
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

cavehobbit wrote: Thanks for a great game, Pete! Well played! All those Indian archers are good as long as they don't fight in melee. They caused a lot of damage to my LHs in the opening turns.

/Per-Anders
Cheers Pers-Anders. My army just collapsed in 2 turns, didn't it? I thought that I had stabilised things a bit as well. Just shows what I know, doesn't it? :roll: There must be a way to fight the Thracians with the Indians but it is beyond me. My nellies and heavy chariots need open ground, the archers and MF infantry need rough terrain - yet if they fight separately from each other then they get destroyed (particularly the nellies and chariots). And then the Thracians have Greek Allies with hoplites to block the nellies and chariots in open ground anyway - and they also have what seemed like dozens and dozens of skirmishers and MF infantry to engage the Indian archers and other foot soldiers. The archers, given that there are so many of them, can only evade combat for a certain amount of time before they are forced to melee. I like to have a solid battle-line in my army too - with some superior troops at the centre of it, if possible. But this Indian army really is a powder-puff outfit in comparison. Sorry team. :oops:

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”