American Civil War: Cold Harbor, 1864 Scenario

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Kriegen
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

American Civil War: Cold Harbor, 1864 Scenario

Post by Kriegen »

I'm reposting my finished debut scenario attempt and placing the required attachments to play Cold Harbor, 1864, in the beginning of this thread (in order to avoid confusion as to which files need to be downloaded). VPaulus' CSA & Union Infantry designs have been incorporated along with mine (utilizing Paint.net) for the Cannon and Cavalry units. I tried to add the proper CSA & Union Flags in slots 30 & 31 under UI/Flags (also included them as nations in nations.pzdat, as well as under UI/Purchase/Flags) but couldn't get the editor to recognize them. I've placed the flag icons in the zips in case anyone knows how to accomplish this placement. I imagine there is a file where these sides need to be assigned country codes.

NOTES:

These are the files in the 3 zipped attachments required for playing the scenario:

The Cold Harbor, 1864.pzscn file path is MY DOCUMENTS\MY GAMES\PANZER CORPS\SCENARIO\Cold Harbor, 1864.pzscn

The Cold Harbor, 1864.pzloc file path is PROGRAM FILES\SLITHERINE\PANZER CORPS\DATA\Cold Harbor, 1864.pzloc

The equipment.pzeqp file path is PROGRAM FILES\SLITHERINE\PANZER CORPS\DATA\equipment.pzeqp
(If you don't want your existing equipment.pzeqp to be overwritten, just copy the units designated 2000-2015
from the attached equipment file to your existing equipment file. This gives the units their Union & CSA labels.)

The Cold Harbor, 1864.png file (scenario image) path is PROGRAM FILES\SLITHERINE\PANZER CORPS\UI\SCENARIOS\Cold Harbor, 1864.png.

The units' pngs (8 pngs) are to be copied to UNITS under GRAPHICS (file path is PROGRAM FILES\SLITHERINE\PANZER CORPS\GRAPHICS\UNITS\)

The efx.pzdat (sound fx) file path is PROGRAM FILES\SLITHERINE\PANZER CORPS\GRAPHICS\efx.pzdat (Again, make a copy of your existing efx.pzdat copy beforehand)

There are only 3 types of units (Cav, Inf, & Can) for each side, the Union being represented by Hungary, and CSA by Romania, Each side starts with ALL the units they will have for the entire scenario, so use your prestige wisely.
And I added the briefings with the Victory Conditions because I'm still trying to understand how the campaign file works.

It's my debut scenario and I hope it's enjoyable. It isn't meant to be perfect (details), the idea is to lend a historical feel and still be fun to play. And if I ever figure out how to put campaigns together, then that's the ultimate objective. Your feedback is most welcome.
Attachments
Union.zip
(144.04 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
CSA.zip
(135.12 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
CB, 1864.zip
(207.63 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Last edited by Kriegen on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: American Civil War: Cold Harbor, 1864 Scenario

Post by nikivdd »

Kriegen wrote:I just finished my debut scenario attempt, but the forum filter won't allow me to attach the 4 needed files for someone to play it; it only accepts the scenario image png. How does one upload these files?
Zip the files, up it to sendspace, mediafire, gamefront,... and share the dl link here.
Thanks for the effort.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Kriegen wrote:Ok, I've zipped the Cold Harbor (4 files) folder as an attachment here. Now I need to figure out sendspace, mediafire,
& gamefront..., I'm guessing these are online sites?? Anyway I'll check. Thanks.
The attachment you posted seems to work. If i may suggest, put it in the first window of your thread.
Also, out of experience, write how to install and start the scenario.

I always put my work on gamefront, making an account is easy btw. Once uploaded you receive the necessary url to post on the forum.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

I'll add it to the sticky Single Scenarios.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

This could be Union Infantry:

I know the angle is not the best.
Anyway, if more people want to contribute, maybe you'd only need 6 icon units.
Kriegen

Post by Kriegen »

That looks great. How do I apply that? Do I sub your Inf. icon png for the PzC Romanian/Hungarian Inf. icon pngs.
And how do you design stuff like that? Is there a program specifically meant to create such mods? Thanks.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

The best way is to create an entry in the equipment file and in the efx file, and create your scenarios with those new entries.
There's a guide made by Nico that teaches you how to add new units:
viewtopic.php?p=291176
For that I also suggest that you use GME not only for running your mods but also when creating the scenarios in the editor.
There's a guide in how to install GME:
viewtopic.php?p=250799
About the creation of the icon itself, there are two ways. First and the best for the game is to use a 3D modeller program, like Hexagon, Daz, Cinema 4D, Poser, 3DS Max, Maya, etc. These are programs which are hard to master, at least for me.
There is a guide to teach you how to do it:
viewtopic.php?p=291583
Please note that this usually expensive software, however Hexagon and Daz are free until the end of March.
The other method uses a bitmap painting programs, like Photoshop, Gimp, paint.net, etc. Usually we use as source an image, for example, a kit model or a figure. But note that not all the images will work well. If you look into PzC units they are in a special angle, so if you want them to look as the original you've to find images around that angle. In thta case I've just used three images of three plastic figures and compose and resize them to resemble like the infantry icon of PzC.
Here is a tutorial:
viewtopic.php?p=253048
Of course you'll still need might to have to tweak some of the animations, and because it's a different era, the sounds of WW2 doesn't make sense in ACW scenario. However that's another matter, and for now you've already a lot to think about.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Here's an example of my method:
Johnny Reb in it's plastic existence

After painted and resized. I'm very slow, so this took me some time, because I paint each part individually (rifle, shirt, trousers,etc):

Now I'll just have to add more two figures and after tweak them all, you'll have a confederate infantry icon.
Kriegen

Post by Kriegen »

That is a lot of work. I'm impressed. And you are correct, I have a lot of study & work to do yet. It amazes me how much scope there is in designing such units and creating diverse mods with the exceptional PzC editor. Appreciate the assistance.
As soon as I am able to update the units (step-by-step), beginning with the Union infantry, I'll upload the revised CB, 1864 zip.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

I've mad a variant of the Union with flag:

And two Confederate, one with the flag:

Kriegen

Post by Kriegen »

That's an interesting idea. Now the flag bearing units can reflect the more elite infantry, etc. Nice work.
I'll try to apply these as soon as I can. Thanks.
airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

Nice icons Mr VPaulus,,great work
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

A png file is an image. To edit an image you can use gimp, which is free.
http://www.gimp.org/
or paint.net:
http://www.getpaint.net/
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Kriegen wrote:1.) I used the 36-Image Converter to crop an online ACW cannon photo, then superimposed it onto the 4 profiles of a PzC cannon png (using edit; Windows Paint), renamed it, but when I click under units (in the editor) and place it on the map the unit appears in a white background frame which obscures the terrain hex. Am I using the wrong program to modify the png?
Yes you're not using the right program for png. You need a program that his able to work with layers, because you'll need a transparency layer, in order to superimpose only the icon over the land tile.
The programs I mentioned in the upper post can deal with it. Gimp is more sophisticated I think. Personally I use Photoshop Elements.
Kriegen

Post by Kriegen »

Thanks. I'll try Gimp and see if I can succeed with that program. BTW, how does one load the pzscn file into the GME?
That seems to require a .mep file extension?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Follow this instructions, in how to use GME and Panzer Corps:
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=27158
HBalck
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Location: Augsburg / Bavaria / Germany...but I am from Eastern Germany !

Post by HBalck »

Why do you not use this very nice clothing and weapon packets for your figures for the poser Michael 4 model ?
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/us-c ... pack/78114

or for the free Michael 3 model:
http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=2394
http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=2628

others:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/54017/related/ ... S-Uniforms
http://www.sharecg.com/v/54132/browse/1 ... CS-uniform
http://www.sharecg.com/v/56419/related/ ... tastique-1
http://www.sharecg.com/v/56444/related/ ... tastique-2

BTW - you need only 10-15 hours to work with poser 7 or Poser Pro 2010 to learn some first details to use phantastic more figures !

H.Balck
Last edited by HBalck on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kriegen

Post by Kriegen »

I did install GME, perhaps I didn't set the path properly, etc. I'll fidget with it. As for "Poser" creations, they appear rather sophisticated, not to mention expensive in some cases. Anyway, I managed to work the unit layer with Paint.net, now it's all about time, effort, and creativity. Appreciate all the help. Thanks.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Well, it's like you said, you're giving the first steps in computer drawing.
You'll learn how to use the programs as you're working. When you feel more at easy you'll see that you'll try different approaches.
Keep up. :)
Kriegen

Post by Kriegen »

These are the pngs. See revised post (1st part of this thread) for necessary scenario attachments.
Attachments
CSA_Cannon.png
CSA_Cannon.png (37.54 KiB) Viewed 7987 times
CSA Infantry.png
CSA Infantry.png (36.43 KiB) Viewed 7987 times
CSA Elite Inf.png
CSA Elite Inf.png (38.96 KiB) Viewed 7987 times

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”