Server message - multiple turn downloads

Tech support for PC & Mac. Please post your OS and version number when reporting bugs.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

petirouge
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Server message - multiple turn downloads

Post by petirouge »

Hi Kilroy,
The system was checking also the download of already finished games, which is wrong. That's why you probably get that error. You don't have to worry about, the system has been fixed now.
Anyway, the system doesn't ban anyone automatically, it just reports not expected activity on the server.
Fedem
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Fedem »

Fedem wrote:Hi Ian,

One small question. Will the two players be informed if someone makes a re-download?

Tks
Bump
macsen
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by macsen »

Ok, now I seem to be getting these messages. It seems to happen when I try and log on and nothing happens, ie it keeps trying but nothing comes up. When this happens I cancel log on and try again, sometimes several times, sometimes I even have to restart FOG to get it to log on. I don't think this is a problem my end as I have a new compter and excellent internet. I can only presume it is a problem at the slitherine end.

Cheers

macsen
ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by ericdoman1 »

Hi Macsen

Just tried lots of things and I haven't received any messages from Slitherine.

I can log on ok

When I click on multiplayer and cancel before if connects

I have

"Sorry, could not connect"
"Reason:User Cancelled (code-2"

When the login/password window appears I have hit cancel

I have also logged in via the above window and cancelled

I have viewed a game and cancelled. Basically I have done everything there is to do and have actually been doing this throughout the day and no message from Slitherine.

When I did receive a message I used the task manager in a game that had already been agreed upon as a draw and then I received a message. That was day before yesterday.

So you may have a problem with your computer or ahve you been using the task manager to restart FOG.

Generally if there is a problem with a connection. A message will appear on your screen and you can copy this message, paste it and pass it onto the Tech support team.

Cheers

Eric
macsen

Post by macsen »

It's curious as I used the task mangaer yesterday and got a message (another program i was installing while playing FOG froze my computer) today though I had done nothing but attempt to login, which didn't seem to be working so I cancelled. Maybe it had done a partial download of turns but hadn't bought up the game screen for some reason. This may be an internet in general problem with the slitherine servers being in the UK and me in Canada.

Cheers

Gareth
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Our servers are actually in Colorado.

Once you get the warning you have to play for a while for it to clear out of your history.
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Fedem wrote:

One small question. Will the two players be informed if someone makes a re-download?

Tks
Sorry to insist but; Yes or No?

Tks
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Fedem wrote:
Fedem wrote:

Tks
Sorry to insist but; Yes or No?

Tks
The current posts from Slitherine indicate that only the person who they believe downloaded a turn multiple times will get the warning. If they receive enough warnings they will be contacted by someone from Slitherine and need to explain the issue to Slitherine's satisfaction or else be banned from using the multi-player server. (Not sure if that would be just FoG PC or other games that use the server as well.) This seems pretty clear in Iain's posts.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

:evil: Well, if that is the case I think it's not enough. That doesn't stop the "picky" cheater who cheats from time to time or in a particular moment of a game.

If both players do not get notified I will ony play with people who I trust and probably spend less time with this game.

No need to say I will not buy more modules.

Probably not going to be missed but what the hell :)
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

I now have all of the additions and will buy the remainder.

As a pc game, surely it must be one of the most expensive ones out there in terms of us buying these additions.

Based on that shouldn't there be more effort in offering additional services.

In other words I agree with Fedem and would like there to be an announcement on the Slitherine website of players who receive the MESSAGE. Possibly not for the first 2 or 3 ocassions but if some players are doing this regularly I think we should all know about it. This service would surely then stop players completely from breaking the rules.
Sharkall
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Sharkall »

Hello !
I also got this message, once yesterday, and another time just 25 minutes ago.
I changed my PC about 10 days ago, and have a clean windows install. Hence, I had absolutely no problem playing, absolutely no crash, freeze, or internet failure.
Could there be something related to getting out of games frequently (via the close/open), or always hitting the cancel button instead of waiting when getting out of MP screen ? Or any thing other than forcefully closing the game process.

I agree with Eric, regular cheats being made publicly available would be the most efficient way to stop the issue. I'm not that set on as Fedem, so will continue playing even if I don't get to know if someone takes advantage of it or not. I can still look at it as though the person's planning and tactical skills are 10%-20% better or so ... and probably doing this for 10/20 games would be extremely time consuming :mrgreen:
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

To my knowledge the only way you will receive a message now is by using the task manager. Iain has seemed to clarify that, although maybe there ares till a few errors in the system.

Marius, I have treid everything (except using task manager) for well over 24 hours prob 48 hours now, closing this, cancelling that etc, EVERYTHING and I have not received one message.

I have aslo stopped downloading anything at the same time as playing, making sure that nothing is upgrading/updating in the background and I have even ran a virus check, a disc cleanup and a disk defragmenter. Which has certainly improved the performance of the computer. Also there are some websites out there, youtube or equivalent, where you need more broadband and I have stopped having those on at the same time.

Just be careful out there.
Sharkall

Post by Sharkall »

Well, I did not have any error or failed update/turn send or whatever. And while I had some problems three or two weeks ago, it seems hard to think I can get a notification from then. I mean, got a couple of them not even 24h spaced apart ...

That's why I am quite confused, tending to scared ... and if you say you tried everything and did not get any message, then it probably has to be another reason. It would be interesting to find out how soon after you do something, you get this e-mail. I think someone said he did it on purpose and got the message, what was the time delay ?

Also, to be noted that I managed to borrow a new comp (and also buy a new hard disk) just because I wanted to play the game without worrying about crashes and the like :)
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

That was me and I think it was 2 to 4 hours. Again that was using task amnager in a game that was agreed upon as a draw. It was Sunday gone I believe but I just checked my trash and there is nothing there. I am on btinternet.com and it deletes the trash, automatically and very quickly prob 96 hours.

I am not going to try task manger now to see what happens

BUT have tried eevrything else that at one stage was causing messages to be sent to players and have been doing so for teh alst 48 hours or more and ahve not received any message.

But nobody should be receiving any messages unless they have been using the task manger. Otherwise this link would be full. So you may have a bug or something in your computer itself
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Sharkall wrote:Hello !
I also got this message, once yesterday, and another time just 25 minutes ago.
I changed my PC about 10 days ago, and have a clean windows install. Hence, I had absolutely no problem playing, absolutely no crash, freeze, or internet failure.
Could there be something related to getting out of games frequently (via the close/open), or always hitting the cancel button instead of waiting when getting out of MP screen ? Or any thing other than forcefully closing the game process.

I agree with Eric, regular cheats being made publicly available would be the most efficient way to stop the issue. I'm not that set on as Fedem, so will continue playing even if I don't get to know if someone takes advantage of it or not. I can still look at it as though the person's planning and tactical skills are 10%-20% better or so ... and probably doing this for 10/20 games would be extremely time consuming :mrgreen:
Well by doing restarts and changing moves you can clearly improve your tactical skill. You dont need much time if you only do it on turns that matter. And that way, doing it not so often or in games or turns that you think it's worthy, the cheater becomes "invisible".

They (Slitherine) only needs to send the actual email that gets generated to both players and then you can decide what to do.
Im not asking to publish the name of the one who rstarts in here or anywere. I just want an email letting me know that my oponent made a restart.
Is that too difficult??

Tks
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

ericdoman1 wrote:That was me and I think it was 2 to 4 hours. Again that was using task amnager in a game that was agreed upon as a draw. It was Sunday gone I believe but I just checked my trash and there is nothing there. I am on btinternet.com and it deletes the trash, automatically and very quickly prob 96 hours.

I am not going to try task manger now to see what happens

BUT have tried eevrything else that at one stage was causing messages to be sent to players and have been doing so for teh alst 48 hours or more and ahve not received any message.

But nobody should be receiving any messages unless they have been using the task manger. Otherwise this link would be full. So you may have a bug or something in your computer itself
Hi Eric,

Did you tried to unplug or restart the machine on purpose?

Tks
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Marius go to page 2 and first post then follow
Sharkall

Post by Sharkall »

Oh, okay, if it happens again I'll send a mail to that link, thanks.
And if it's so fast (a few hours), then there's definitely some issue, as I haven't done anything even remotely suspicious :)

@Fedem, don't get angry at me :P I was just saying, I won't let anything stand between me and playing. You're right, of course, it's not much to ask. I think :) And it would be and elegant solution, though not as effective as doing it publicly.
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Hey Sharkall. I do not get ungry with you. Why should I? :) Sorry if it showed like that. Wasnt the intention.

The posibility of being cheated is what ungries me :)

Cheers!
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Fedem and Marius

Go to page 2 on this link and read comments made. Fedem we have gone over this before.

If you look at top right of this page. Move down a little.

You will see 60 posts. page 3 of 3.Now to the right of that you will see numbers 1, 2 and 3 in boxes. Box 3 is green/highlighted. This is page 3. NOw click on (move your cursor overthe box with 2 on it and click on it) box 2. There you will see what has been posted.

I was hungry a while ago but now I am full LOL

OK

Return to “Field of Glory : Tech Support”