First Impressions????

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

gortwillsaveus
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

First Impressions????

Post by gortwillsaveus »

So, I came SO close to buying this while at work, so I could play tonight,......however,..

I had recently purchased Battle Academy, Panzer Corps, Unity of Command, and unfortunately, Gary Grigsby's War in the East.
With the $19.99 price for download,..there's almost no thinking about it,....but I need to know,..what's everyone's first impressions???
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: First Impressions????

Post by Xerkis »

First – middle – and every other impression there is.
Awesome!

There is some much to it. And just when you think you have it all – there is more to it.

* Building your own teams (I can literally spend hours and hours on that alone)
* Try out different tactics on the exact same maps against the exact same enemy teams – endless.
* But then they throw at you all the pre-loaded teams to use and maps and multi player (if that’s your thing).
* The “True” Line Of Site – once you relies what is going on with that, is amazing.
* Individual soldier control, squad oriented tactics with deadly weapons and a “you better know how to use cover” to help you troops make it.
* Multiple types of game play.
* Different levels of difficulty.

I could go on if I need too.
:D
Lannes
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lannes »

Thanks Xerkis
Christophe

Bolt Action forum : http://bolt-actionww2rules.fr-bb.com/
CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Commander: The Great War beta tester
gortwillsaveus

Post by gortwillsaveus »

You sold me,....thanks for the first impression! I guess that Home Theater PC I wanted to build will have to wait. DARN!
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

My first impression goes like this.

"Looks' like Combat Mission visually, and controls wise. Not a fault, just saying.

Then I realized 'ok without the tutorial I am screwed'. as the controls require some learning.

So I looked for the manual. Hmm not impressed with the web browser based manual.

My first request, guys, lets get that digital manual ready ASAP and I prefer an orthodox pdf file. some of us dolts need to read the manual first :) And I'd rather it was open on my tablet beside me.

Oddly a suspiciously nice piece of timing my mother bought for me for my birthday this rather nice looking book reading/laptop use platform (folds up really nicely) that just arrived in the mail today too. Meant to give a person a comfortable table arrangement while sitting on a sofa or lazyboy chair. Compacts down to almost nothing when folded up. Will be very handy to get into my game me thinks :)
nomet
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by nomet »

DSWargamer wrote:My first impression goes like this.

"Looks' like Combat Mission visually, and controls wise. Not a fault, just saying.

Then I realized 'ok without the tutorial I am screwed'. as the controls require some learning.

So I looked for the manual. Hmm not impressed with the web browser based manual.

My first request, guys, lets get that digital manual ready ASAP and I prefer an orthodox pdf file. some of us dolts need to read the manual first :) And I'd rather it was open on my tablet beside me.

Oddly a suspiciously nice piece of timing my mother bought for me for my birthday this rather nice looking book reading/laptop use platform (folds up really nicely) that just arrived in the mail today too. Meant to give a person a comfortable table arrangement while sitting on a sofa or lazyboy chair. Compacts down to almost nothing when folded up. Will be very handy to get into my game me thinks :)

1. the pdf was not included?

2. did you try the tutorial videos? :)
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

nomet wrote:
DSWargamer wrote:My first impression goes like this.

1. the pdf was not included?

2. did you try the tutorial videos? :)
So DSWargamer, your first impression isn’t about the game itself – it’s about how to learn how to play the game. Interesting – something to work on (for Zeal) – but the tutorial videos are quite helpful indeed.

Granted – the controls are at first a bit “what was that to do that again” – or at least the “hot keys” are, but they become second nature in time. If you use the mouse to do all the controlling it is much more explanatory (with the tooltips and icons).

And Nomet, sorry I do not see the pdf anyplace.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Just talked to Robin and they think they have a pdf we never knew about so we're going to try and locate it and if they can find it post it for you!.
Lannes

Post by Lannes »

Me too do not see the pdf anyplace.
Christophe

CEAW Grand Strategy fan
alex0809
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by alex0809 »

I really enjoy my first rounds in this game. I actually find the tutorial provided really good, don't see why it wasn't enough, I mean it is even inside the game's menu.
Gameplay itself is great and "different", building own divisions is awesome and easy, and the AI is not too bad either (at least that was my first impression). I have to say though that I would have liked the game to be a bit more single player centered, I will of course play multiplayer and I'm sure it's a lot of fun but I still hope you will produce a real campaign one time.
Lannes

Post by Lannes »

Great game I like very much.

For me it's a proper computer ASL, a real treat.

A strange thing sometimes odd enemy soldiers come near my soldiers right next ? A bit like kamikazes.

For the future I would like :
- more country : english, russian, french etc...
- more front : France, Russia, Desert
- and tanks, halftracks vehicules.
Christophe

CEAW Grand Strategy fan
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Lannes wrote:For the future I would like :
- more country : english, russian, french etc...
- more front : France, Russia, Desert
- and tanks, halftracks vehicules.
Glad you are liking the game and I bet you will like more as you play.

Although it’s not the uniforms and weapons of other countries, you can pick names for your soldiers of other countries in the force builder to at least put some better feel to it. But hopefully (if all goes well) we will have more actual countries to use in the game too. At least we can ask Zeal to let us have them.
:wink:

The more fronts are simply a matter of more maps and here again, if all goes well we can get some of that.

Vehicles was discussed over and over again throughout game design. But with the mechanics and size of the maps plus how deadly the weapons already are in TA – it was thought best to not have them in this release. . . but who know, maybe in some other future game – because we all keep asking for them.
:D
ketonur
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by ketonur »

Jeeeez how buggy is that game...

1. Multiplayer doesn't work for me (couldn't join to server if it's any).
2. Three times, in the middle of the game my squad was moved back to the deployment zone
3. During choosing the game mode, game hang out when i moved my mouse cursor over old saves (I had to delete it from windows level)
4. Two times i couldn't ordered my troops to shoot at the enemy, however they see him (LOS tool - green line) but when i moved my cursor over enemy i couldn't do anything but walk...

Hope that devs are still workin on this game. It needs a lot of improvment. Looking forward for patch.

Greetings
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

ketonur wrote:Jeeeez how buggy is that game...

2. Three times, in the middle of the game my squad was moved back to the deployment zone
3. During choosing the game mode, game hang out when i moved my mouse cursor over old saves (I had to delete it from windows level)
4. Two times i couldn't ordered my troops to shoot at the enemy, however they see him (LOS tool - green line) but when i moved my cursor over enemy i couldn't do anything but walk...

Hope that devs are still workin on this game. It needs a lot of improvment. Looking forward for patch.

Greetings
1) The Multi Player server was down so that is nothing to do with the game itself but it is up and running now.

2) Moved back how? They will run back to the deployment zone when they have reached a very danger low level of moral and will retreat to there. Moral is the top bar under the squads icon.

3) More information on this would be much appreciated so it can be looked in to.

4) You can only do certain commands at certain times. Since you have chosen to “walk” one of your soldiers in your squad, then all of them must walk. This is what you are seeing here.

Other than possibly number 3 – I really don’t think there are any “bugs” that you have listed.
nomet

Post by nomet »

Xerkis wrote:
ketonur wrote:Jeeeez how buggy is that game...

Greetings
1) The Multi Player server was down so that is nothing to do with the game itself but it is up and running now.

2) Moved back how? They will run back to the deployment zone when they have reached a very danger low level of moral and will retreat to there. Moral is the top bar under the squads icon.

3) More information on this would be much appreciated so it can be looked in to.

4) You can only do certain commands at certain times. Since you have chosen to “walk” one of your soldiers in your squad, then all of them must walk. This is what you are seeing here.

Other than possibly number 3 – I really don’t think there are any “bugs” that you have listed.
I was about to answer but Xerkis finds words first! :)
ketonur

Post by ketonur »

I have read all manual and i think that i fully understand game mechanics (i'm combat mission veteran with over 200 multiplayer games behind me ;)).

ad. 1) I couldn't connect to hosted game just 1 hour ago, have tried 3 times.
ad. 2) I know that soldiers suppose to run away if their morale is broken. This wasn't that kind of situation... When i click on my squad with 100 morale points i just pick them and they float over ground just as during the setup phase. I could even put them in my set-up zone... Bug for sure for me.
ad. 4) It was during "firing phase" I couldn't shoot to enemy for 3 turns! (He was pinned down and lied down between a several enemy corpses. I saw red crosshair over him.) The only way to kill him was to wait for him to recover and shoot him down during "reaction fire" phase.
nomet

Post by nomet »

Yes the game is different. But when you get used to it i think you will enjoy it. Have you looked at this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gUBs0w ... KCzxB9964= it might clarify a lot of things for you! :)
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Hours in other games mean zero here in TA.
This game is something totally different and new.
:)

And if and when these things happen that anyone feels aren’t quite right – by all means please make a print screen of it, save the combat and game logs, and post them or prepare to post them. I am very confident that in the above cases (and in most of the future ones as well) it will be simple misunderstanding on how the game functions.
Lannes

Post by Lannes »

it reminds me a little jagged alliance, I said a little :wink: :wink:
Christophe

CEAW Grand Strategy fan
gortwillsaveus

Post by gortwillsaveus »

Just checked my PayPal account and I was happy to see that I had $25.00 there.
Guess what I'm buying in 2 seconds.

Thanks for the 1st impressions everyone.

Return to “Team Assault”