AK: Second offensive

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

AK: Second offensive

Post by VPaulus »

Please post here your comments about this scenario.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: AK: Second offensive

Post by Razz1 »

I was able to get DV on last turn on Colonel.

I wish I didn't loose my ME109 on the previous turn.

I once walked into a hex surrounded by 4 units, my 88 +3 initiative kicked ass. Now it has +1 attack too for the next scenario.

It is imperative to have AA and 88's
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by monkspider »

Second Offensive
DV on turn 18/22

Finally, my first DV of the campaign! This was the best scenario so far, and the first one that I wouldn't recommend any significant changes to.

My strategy hinged around creating a defensive line around Msus and Benghazi, managing to hold this line proved harrowing but I managed to hold out long enough for the reinforcements to arrive which managed to relieve Msus and then push toward the remaining objectives. I could have achieved a DV on turn 18 but waited until the last turn so I could capture a few more of the non-objective hexes.

The only thing I would report on this level is that there didn't seem to be enough deployment hexes available at the beginning to deploy all of the units that I was allowed to. I had to wait until the first turn to deploy my remaining units.
billmv44
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by billmv44 »

General level. Starting prestige 2088, ending 1424.

This one has some chaotic elements as you don't know where the British are (they are everywhere). I was able to clean up the enemy forces in the rear just as the reinforcements arrived. I quickly pushed back to the east and was able to clear the board. I waited until the last turn to take the airfield victory hex to build my prestige. There never seems to be enough of that! All in all this seemed to be properly balanced. No issues with game play.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester
produit
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by produit »

FM, DV 9/22

First time, I captured all VH before getting reinforcement (even airfield in Dema). As a result, I was not able to continue to play.

Thus, I took a previous save to be able to clear the map. DV the second time at turn 13.

Nice map. As I am using quite a lot of Elite reinforcement, my prestige becomes tight (925 at the end).

There are units "blocked on the side", location 34/19 and 34/20. Is it normal ?
produit

Post by produit »

billmv44 wrote:I waited until the last turn to take the airfield victory hex to build my prestige.
When I saw this remark, I remember that I had advantages to wait until the last turn. It is a bit absurd. You should gain more prestige to win early as to win on the last turn, or at minimum, the same amount. Something should be done to correct this aspect.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Not enough deployment hexes. Is this intentional?
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

Blathergut wrote:Not enough deployment hexes. Is this intentional?
Actually there are 17 of them, 14 for ground troops and 3 for planes. Maybe SE units are causing problem here?
uran21

Post by uran21 »

Reinforcements placed really outside of the map. Did your units blocked them?
produit

Post by produit »

uran21 wrote:
Reinforcements placed really outside of the map. Did your units blocked them?
I think there was 3 tanks. The one in the south did move, but the other two stay outside of the map till the end of the game. I did not block them.
It is still strange that you cannot attack them.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I only had 1 fighter (rest had been lost).
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

DV turn 11 on general level.

-no real challenge...only about 700 prestige left at the end...that has been a problem all the way along

-the only fight was along the north road, where the Brits kept pushing me back and started mangling Germans once their air had destroyed my artillery support.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

The reinforcements arrived on turn 19 of 22. That is a tad too late to start a second offensive. Otherwise a balanced and fun scenario.
uran21

Post by uran21 »

Erik wrote:The reinforcements arrived on turn 19 of 22. That is a tad too late to start a second offensive. Otherwise a balanced and fun scenario.
Reinforcements are not time triggered but depend on players performance. You need to hold El Agheila in your hands (there is neutral flag in it at beginning and British will try to capture it too) and with this town in your hands they come at turn 9.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

uran21 wrote:
Erik wrote:The reinforcements arrived on turn 19 of 22. That is a tad too late to start a second offensive. Otherwise a balanced and fun scenario.
Reinforcements are not time triggered but depend on players performance. You need to hold El Agheila in your hands (there is neutral flag in it at beginning and British will try to capture it too) and with this town in your hands they come at turn 9.
The reinforcement trigger makes sense.
Still, I think this should be mentioned specifically in the briefing, currently it only says "El Agheila, however, must be held at all costs."
Maybe something like "El Agheila, however, must be held at all costs since it is vital for the Axis reinforcements to arrive early".
uran21

Post by uran21 »

I think briefing stresses most important parts very well. Which are three points; to reach El Algheila, not to delay withdrawal and not to bother with other objectives plus the warning about British attempts for encirclement. Quite on the contrary briefing explicitly calls for fighting withdrawal there and El Algheila and its importance is mentioned more than once.
Here is the briefing:
Now that the British have relieved Tobruk we are forced to conduct the most difficult of military maneuvers, a fighting withdrawal. Gentlemen, we are to return to the line of El Agheila. There is nothing to hold on to short of there. At El Agheila, we will be near our supply terminus and able to form a defensive line. Getting there in good order is the problem. The English will do all in their power to encircle us and complete our destruction. To escape we must not delay or hold on to meaningless objectives or try to save every unit. El Agheila, however, must be held at all costs. Remember, the farther the British pursue us, the longer their supply line stretches and the weaker they become. When our reinforcements arrive and our supply situation improves, we will regain freedom of action and can consider plans for a "second offensive". Good luck!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Edit:
Why does the scenario end with an automatic Axis DV when they capture the last (primary) objective, there are still Allied flag/prestige locations to be captured.
It is gamey to have to wait conquering the last primary objective until the flag/prestige locations are under Axis control.
With the title 'Second Offensive' the Axis should be allowed to carry on until T-22 or until all objectives are captured.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

18/22 DV, Colonel.

The initial turns took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting the British to be behind my lines! Once they were dispatched it was an easier ride.

I took all the initial objectives on Turn 13 when the reinforcements arrived (or are they scripted to arrive then?). Taking the 'new' objectives was an easy task and I didn't need the reinforcements to do so.

Overall, I enjoyed this scenario but there could have been a bit more British resistance in Phase 2 - they were sitting ducks by then! :)
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

Units to deploy 2/17
5 units in reserve

I already deployed 3 air units, is this intentional to be limited like this?
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Second Offensive Beta2

No upgrades, no purchases.

I filled the only 3 hexes for planes with my fighters and i am glad i did. The ground slots were quickly filled and never enough ofcourse.
Along the coastroad I managed to keep the british at bay at Barce. The city was guarded by a pionier supported by a StuGIIIB and my italian 149mm, later an M14/41 joined the party. Except for El Agheila i managed to place one of my
italian infantry units at the VHes. Later i managed to take it back with an infantry unit, a PzIIIJ and a fighter (and possibly a luck of dice). Just east of Msus i managed to keep a lot of british units busy, only a mathilda slipped
through and went for Agedabia. When the reinforcements came, i only used the armor units. The aux infantry replaced the core infantry for those i moved towards Mechilli. It is really a pitty, and i think this was an opportunity, that some of the italian reinforcements should have been core units with a hero already. Anyway, i think i cleared my first map in this campaign at the last turn. A very entertaining mission comprising of two parts and i think we haven't seen this kind of mission before.
DV 22/22, PP 4586

Losses: none

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”