1.03 Feedback

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

dgold
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

V 1.03 feedback

Post by dgold »

Played a couple of games (V 1.03) lately as the Allies vs the AI on medium difficulty:

I continually bombed the Axis unit in Cherbourg until it left, so I just walked in and took a free port in 1941. The AI should not give up ports - it should keep rebuilding damaged units and/or keep fighters within range.

The Axis AI should garrison French and Benelux ports and keep a reserve around Paris. This reserve should start small in 1941 and then be increased by a set amount each year as the Allied threat of invasion increases.

The Axis AI seems to spend too much money on research and upgrading and not enough on basic units. When the AI invades Russia in 1941, it never has enough units to advance and protect the flanks. I can surround and cut off any armoured spearhead with hordes of Russian infantry corps.
Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder »

playing as the Axis, the AI Allies just pound the unit in Cherbourg until it is useless... i had to rotate units out, but then there is no entrenchment.. perhaps naval bombardment and air support is over done and too effective for a strategic level game like this? Can air and naval power eliminate or render ineffective a large force holding an entire city? Not in Stalingrad or Berlin or even Cherbourg.. boots on the ground had to do be sent in... Should there be a point of diminishing returns where a unit can't be so damaged or it's readiness brought to zero? especially if the unit is in a city and entrenched?
stalins_organ
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by stalins_organ »

You have to have the ability to clear a hex entirely by naval and iar or else the Axis just sits garrisons along the coastline of Europe and the Allies can never invade since there's there's no paratroops and no disembark-to-combat.
Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder »

stalins_organ wrote:You have to have the ability to clear a hex entirely by naval and iar or else the Axis just sits garrisons along the coastline of Europe and the Allies can never invade since there's there's no paratroops and no disembark-to-combat.

had not thought of that... i guess with garrison troops this strategy would be affordable to occupy every coastal hex.. but my point was about being able to not wipe out units in cities not in coastal hexes right?
stalins_organ

Post by stalins_organ »

You mentioned Cherbourg....last I saw it was on the coast!! 8)

however if the system allows you to kill units in ocastal cities then why not inland ones too? Having 2 combat systems for the sme thing seems like an even worse situation!!
Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder »

stalins_organ wrote:You mentioned Cherbourg....last I saw it was on the coast!! 8)

however if the system allows you to kill units in ocastal cities then why not inland ones too? Having 2 combat systems for the sme thing seems like an even worse situation!!
my point must not be clear... if a uniit is in a city, that should afford it some additional protection regardless of location. When I say coastal hex, I am implying a hex next to the coast that is not a city hex. That is not anything like 2 combat systems. It is a minor change so that units in cities cannot be blasted to uselessness without a ground fight. Not too many large or strategic cities in WWII was emptied by air and naval power alone as far as I know... if Cherbourg can be taken without a fight that does not seem like a good thing to me.
neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by neilhammond »

Guderian wrote:Neil, are there any areas that you have identified that the AI could do better that would make it more difficult at the small AI advantage? Build different units, etc? What was the easiest theater of battle when you play win easily? just curious... thx!
As the allies: At the easy + moderate level I feel the Axis AI doesn't really garrison/protect France enough so it's easy, once the Russian front has opened, to get into France early on. And even when you've landed the AI doesn't seem to react strongly to try and push you out.

As the axis: I think the allied build up is too quick at the moderate level (but poss too slow at the small level?).

My axis strategy (for the 1940 game) was take France/Belg/Holl/Norway, then shuffle across and focus everything in a drive to Moscow/Perm. I also send the Italians + 2 Ge units to take N.Africa and then around into S. Russia - not sure of the strategic value but it gets the oil in.

At the slight AI level I found it worth taking the UK as that essentially kept the US/UK out of play. At the mod level I found it very difficult to take the UK and have enough left alive to then take on the russians.

But I should add, GREAT GAME!

Neil
Happycat
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Happycat »

Two things:

1. I strongly concur with Stauffenberg, that this game would be even better with paratroops and marines

2. Playing against AI (me Axis, full difficulty advantage for AI, fog, oil, end '45, no random), I see that the AI now at least tries to do something in North Africa. However, it is even worse than doing nothing---in my current game the Allied AI advanced the British units only one at a time towards the Italian lines. Like shooting fish in a barrel...Image
Chance favours the prepared mind.

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”