AK: Ras el Mdauuar

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

LostAgain
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: AK: Ras el Mdauuar

Post by LostAgain »

I play at FM level. As in the first level some units would not upgrade, but here I did some experimenting and discovered that there are MORE units that cannot be upgraded to their self propelled levels. As before, the Panzerjager Abt.39 unit would not upgrade to Panzerjager, and the Fla Bataillon 606 would not upgrade to 8.8 cm FlaK, but I also noted that I.Abt./Artillerie Rgt. 75 would not upgrade to Sturmpanzer I!

I would also like to question why the SdKfz 7 and SdKfz 251/1 are the same price as the capabilities of the SdKfz 251/1 are so superior to the SdKfz 7 that it is incomprehensible to me why anyone would bother purchasing the SdKfz 7 at all?

I hate to say it but I'm disappointed in AK so far, although I am pleased with the new units so far and as previously noted I love the graphics. After the eastern campaign the play seems slow and uninspired. It's like starting a campaign in '39 again, but it's '41 so I guess I assumed you guys would pull out the magic again and turbo charge the start to AK. If I'm spoiled you guys have no one to blame but yourselves. The way you described it on the site left me assuming it would somehow keep up the intensity levels I'd become used to, and consequently I'm underwhelmed...
DownriverRick
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by DownriverRick »

Finished this one on my second attempt on Colonel. Got a DV on that try after losing the scenario the first time around. Before going in the second time, I disbanded the towed AT unit, upgraded the Italian infantry to Bersaglieri, added a couple of Pionieres and a 15cm sFH18 and concentrated the setup near the north objective and the south objective, with a small force in the center. With an infantry heavy core, it wasn't that difficult getting thru the forts and breaking out.

To me, the scenario was challenging and didn't eat up too much of my core (lost the PzII and a PzIII SE unit). It was a big change of pace from the first scenario.
Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc »

2. Ras el Mdauuar (at least that's how the savegame calls it. What a name!)
Field Marshal, all options checked
Start: 732 Prestige
Bonus: SE Bf110D (I didn't reload! Just reminds me how much I dislike this system ;)
Bought: Panzer IVE, 15.5 Arty, Panzer IIIH
Upgraded: Disbanded Italian Tanks, upgraded IT Infantry, disbanded Panzer II, etc...
Prestige at turn 1: 51
Losses: zero
End Prestige: 586
Result: Marginal Victory 14/14
Comments: Interesting, can't deploy my planes, woot! I still think the game needs some more desert tiles, the singular one used looks rather dull. I quite liked this scenario, but my staff was playing Sudoku and didn't tell me that I missed to capture the objective in the lower right corner. Oh well, nevertheless the two-pronged rather than three-pronged attack was executed nicely and I kept my troops safe. Very nice scenario, would have needed 2-3 more turns to crack the final bunker, I screwed that up by waiting and realizing there is a bunker left too late.

NOTE TO OTHER PLAYERS: The anti-tank thingies can upgrade to PanzerJäger IB, but you must disable the "transport" of this unit before you are allowed to do so aaaaand it costs too much, so it isn't worth it.
tmgiles1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by tmgiles1 »

Lt level, DV Turn 14, 2nd attempt

I upgraded the Grenadiers to Pioneers and did a straight pincer attack on the north and south. I was able to break through on both fronts by turn 6 and the Matildas were taken care of fairly easily by the 50mm, my Pz.Jag. and an M-13. After capturing Ras el Mduuar, everyone went straight for Giaida and I barely captured it on turn 14. Desert supply was somewhat of an issue, but it was workable.

I don’t mind the change in scale at all; I thought it was fun and challenging. The flow was great, just took some patience. I think it could definitely use an extra turn although playing through it twice was fun so I guess that’s a close call. Personally, I like the intensity level so far, I liked ’39 too. The Russian campaigns were great, but these feel more manageable. The new graphics and music are awesome. Also, the pop ups are cool, I thought the changing objectives in the first scenario added to the dynamic well, but they could be more official sounding IMO.
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Add one or two more turns.
Add a German airfield (I got a Bf100C as present from HQ...), add British AA units for balance.
Lower the strength of British forts to 10, replace a few of them with dug-in troops (more fun than bunker-busting).
Adjust fort values to give the German artillery a fair chance to at least disrupt/supress the forts.
Add tip in the briefing; purchase as many Pioniers as you can afford...

This scenario will currently probably kill the campaign for new players purchasing AK without much PzC experience.
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

Erik I think having NO air power and lots of static defenses you can bypass rather than fight is the point of the scenario an what it tries to teach to players, IMO.
produit
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by produit »

FM, DV 13. Nice scenario. Bought a Pioneer unit. It was really important. Going against such static defenses was a change from all scenarios I played till now. Lot of planning, slow advance (but not too slow because you have to finish before turn 14).

A point: with exp blocked at 99 (it seems) and a lot of losses, elite reinforcement is a no go... Is it intended ?
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

To attack along the whole frontline is simple suicide.
Bravo! Bravo for realizing this!

Here is the background of this scenario.
There should be some attack on Tobruk defensive perimeter but Tobruk itself should not be an objective, not even close to it.
Scenario setting should contribute to variety. Its change of pace depicts historical events very closely. Tobruk was under siege for months not without a reason.
Because there is no usual flow, tactical skill should be unusual.
This scenario can allow itself luxury to be tough one because even if you lose it campaign will not be over. What concerns me is the loss of core units.
Based on that and suggestion that player should be warned to buy Pioniers obviously players core should be supported with additional auxiliary units to do initial punch.
Availability date for SE planes can be removed to some other date so you don't get bad jokes any more. Maybe that one neglected victory hex should be pinpointed more, and duration of scenario prolonged.
Now obviously not every setting will be by everyones liking but the main question remains: should players be ALLOWED to learn something new?
deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter »

uran21 wrote:
To attack along the whole frontline is simple suicide.
Bravo! Bravo for realizing this!

Here is the background of this scenario.
There should be some attack on Tobruk defensive perimeter but Tobruk itself should not be an objective, not even close to it.
Scenario setting should contribute to variety. Its change of pace depicts historical events very closely. Tobruk was under siege for months not without a reason.
Because there is no usual flow, tactical skill should be unusual.
This scenario can allow itself luxury to be tough one because even if you lose it campaign will not be over. What concerns me is the loss of core units.
Based on that and suggestion that player should be warned to buy Pioniers obviously players core should be supported with additional auxiliary units to do initial punch.
Availability date for SE planes can be removed to some other date so you don't get bad jokes any more. Maybe that one neglected victory hex should be pinpointed more, and duration of scenario prolonged.
Now obviously not every setting will be by everyones liking but the main question remains: should players be ALLOWED to learn something new?
The difficulty of most of the scenarios would be fine if the German player started with 2-3 star units. The main issue is the lack of experience of the German player's units.

During GC39-42 testing and even certain GC43-44 scenarios I always said "buff the AI's units," but if I'm saying this scenario is difficult, that probably means it's hard for most players too. I like hard scenarios if they are hard in an interesting way, but the fact is that no one enjoys fighting only forts. Removing forts and adding some infantry/AT guns/artillery would do much to make this fun. You can even put those (along with a few forts) in the central location and strong forts to the north and south, so it is obvious that the player should concentrate his units for a breakthrough.
produit

Post by produit »

deducter wrote:
I like hard scenarios if they are hard in an interesting way, but the fact is that no one enjoys fighting only forts.
I am perhaps an exception, but I liked to attacked those fort. Moreover, as they cannot move, there was no risk of counter-attack, and thus, it was quite easy to keep my core force alive. The only point is that attacking forts takes time, and you don't have a lot of it...
HeinzG

Post by HeinzG »

Playing at FM level, this was no easy walk. But historically it istn meant to be that way, ;-)

Disbanded ALL Italian units, I upgraded to pioneers and bougth some arty and panzers.

It is hard not to lose too much men in the initial punch, however piercing the forts is the way to suceed.

Finishing this scenarion with a MV, I was disappointed because of my lack of time. There were those two Mathilda II's that gave my armored forces something to concern and stopped my force from taking the VH int the lower east corner.

I liked the flame Pz II, but it might deserve an fortkiller attribute.

Thogh nut after all, much battered core, but hey, I'm lucky, none lost :)
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

After 3 miserable failed attempts I adopted a gamey approach that I hate but it worked a treat - I disbanded almost my entire core and bought 6x pioneres, 6x art and a few tanks.
Colonel, 11/14 DV
Losses: 1x PzIV, 1x pionere
Killed both Matildas by surrounding them and pounding with artillery to suppress before applying the coup de grace.

I think this scenario needs reworking if it encourages players to a. disband all Italian units, b. buy one type of (ahistorical) unit, c. apply the same tactic time after time (2 pioneres approach fort, 2 artillery fire, the pioneres finish off the fort, a tank moves through optionally). Got an SE Me110 (?) so on to the next scenario...
fginfo

Post by fginfo »

Tried this at Colonel. After reading some comments, I would slightly disagree. Started it 3 times after the 2nd-3rd turn before catching a glimpse of a viable strategy. The fourth try gave a decisive victory on the last turn. Though it is true that the fort bashing can be dull, take note, it is not necessary to chew them all. I believe the point here is to be frugal in attacking them and generally avoid them. Once passed, there is open terrain and resistance as well. Though it is true that the twin mathildas were difficult, was lucky to have sufficient firepower to corner them and wear them down. All in all, an interesting challenge with change of pace within the same scenario, hex to hex in the beginning, then race to secure objectives in for the finale.

F.
FGinfo
Xitax
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Xitax »

I was able to beat this scenario the first time. The key is realizing that you just need to punch a hole in the line of strongpoints and do the minimum amount of engagement with the forts. It seemed obvious to me what was going on when I saw the forts.

I divided my forces and punched two holes in the north and south then converged on the center hexes. The last two NZ infantry in the middle of the map proved a challenge as they more likely than not got 'rugged defense'. DV on turn 14.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

REM Beta2
Colonel

Received a SE PzIIIF, upgraded both grenadiers to pioniers, upgraded the italian infantry to bersaglieri, PzIIIG to H, upgraded 2 M13/40 to M14/41, sold the 3.7AT gun, upgraded the 10,5cm to 15cm, bough a StuGIIIB.
Could have placed two more units on the field but kept the AA unit and italian fighter in the reserve pool. Couldn't deploy planes anyway and decided not to fill any vacant slots at this time.
At first glance it looks easier at the beginning, more aux units than in the previous beta. I cut through the ring of fortresses on two points and took the objectives nearby, REM was taken on turn 8, Giaida on turn 10.
Made one Mathilda II bite the dust :).
Overall, the first version was more challenging.

Losses: lost all aux AB40 (used them as bait) and one aux pionier
DV 10/15, 1526PP
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

Playing at default (Colonel ) level.

I am unable to deploy any aircraft.

I suspect hex 15 18 a gold hex might be intended to be an airfield, but it is not showing up as one.
No airfield = no aircraft deployment, it would appear?

Balla. :?
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

As in the briefing said: "the Luftwaffe has its own logistical problems and cannot provide the air support we need". So my reinforcements to the MC.200-Fighter was waste, too.
I don't know the first version of this scenario but this one is ambitious. My first attempt was a disaster so I started again and sold the italian tanks to buy german units. After this, the scenario was a lot easier to win.
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

Ah right, thanks. :oops:

That would explain it.

I did read the brief, but the significance of that passed me by. :roll:

Balla. 8)
Ballacraine

Post by Ballacraine »

It is a small point, but when I destroy strongpoint at 15 18 it remains a gold hex but reverts to desert.

Most gold hexes still have some value to the opposition, so it is understandable that they would attempt to retake it.

A desert square would be of little value to them, so I doubt they would waste resources trying to retake the location.

Is there another hex type the strongpoint could ber replaced with that would give the aI a legitemate reason to try to retake the hex?

Balla. :?
Balois
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Balois »

I got through this on the first try at the COL level but had the help of reading the previous posts. Finished in 14 turns. I did not find the forts too difficult to deal with but the stug III tip in a previous post helped my cause. I found it an interesting scenario and contrary to some earlier posts I thought it was challenging and fun to play. I wonder if with the previous posts perhaps the forts had been reduced in size to make it easier, in the update to the beta?

Ngebhard

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”