AK: Brevity

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: AK: Brevity

Post by Kamerer »

Beta 2.

FM Level, DV at 12/16.

Challenging enough at first, but opponent folds after initial stands. Their columns are too quick to deploy mounted against your combat units; even when in sight/detection range of other opponent units.

Weirdness with paratroopers. I'm allowed to buy them, but not use them? I can purchase them, but never deploy them in their transports, or load them from an airbase like normal. I had thought to use a unit to grab distant victory hexes, but they sat around useless because of this. If airborne is not allowed, perhaps note that in briefing or perhaps it's a glitch.

On a parallel briefing comment: as deductor has mentioned, I also feel the game should have a button or hotkey to allow viewing the original briefing during a scenario. And with AK, it seems more necessary with revisions in progress.
Ballacraine
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Ballacraine »

Kamerer wrote:On a parallel briefing comment: as deductor has mentioned, I also feel the game should have a button or hotkey to allow viewing the original briefing during a scenario. And with AK, it seems more necessary with revisions in progress.
I agree.
That would be useful, especially if it updated to reflect the most recent message reports rather than just the original briefing.

Balla. 8)
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

BETA 2
Colonel
start 2342 prestige
bought BMW 12
AB40
FW109F
Stug
kept several forces in reserve, released two as game went on
could have one on 12/16 but waited to capture more cities
13/16
DV
Balois
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Balois »

Beta 2
COL level

As previously noted the suicide transport movement by the British allowed me to quickly dispatch 20-30% of their forces with no losses. My only loss was a fighter that I failed to return to base before it ran out of fuel and an 88 that i got carless with. The 88 easily dispatched the british armor. I had captured all objectives by turn 13 but had to just cycle the turns to get to 13 and the decisive victory.

Alsp peviously mentioned- it would be nice to see the objectives when ever needed. Also the only way I can seem to determine the scenario name is to do a save and jot down the name.

Balois
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Version 1.10 beta 2: A scenario to rally from the frist challenging task. Captured all flags after breaking the AI-attack, really a rest.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

I just got that Medal with the same unit in the next scenario BattleAXE
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by monkspider »

Brevity
BETA 2
General level
Replacement philosophy: 90%+ of the time I use elite replacements, even during battle,I usually only use normal for low experience units that don't suffer a huge experience drop with normal replacements or if my prestige is especially critical. I rarely use elite replacements on axillary units
Ending Prestige 680
DV on turn 13

This scenario was a bit easier than last time, I was able to fully achieve the DV this time around. No complaints, although it looks like the AI still has a habit of driving their units up to you in transports. My Italian 2nd Armored Division managed to single-handedly take out the two Matilda IIs, which was quite an ordeal! I was quite pleased to get my first Italian medal, the Bronze Medal of Valor. I was studying the stats of the Italian tanks, and really they are better than their reputation suggests. They actually have better stats than even the Czech Panzer 38, which I have always found to be an excellent unit.
Xitax
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Xitax »

Colonel level.

I had two tries at this one. If the AI figured out how to defend the chokepoints on the escarpment, you'd never make it.

The first time I bought a Stuka and a Bf109E, but with 4 enemy aircraft I never made any good use of them and I was only able to get as far as the escarpment with heavy losses.

Next try, I get 2 Bf109E and concentrate on taking out the Hurricanes when they show up.

AI is a bit daft about advancing transports to the point where I can take so many of them out while still on trucks.

The map is a bit bare looking. I hope you can spruce it up a bit.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Xitax wrote:The map is a bit bare looking. I hope you can spruce it up a bit.
Any specific suggestions how to do this?
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

Add an overlay of plain desert with a few rocks, 3 to 4 very small in size in the editor and then use it.
Use an overlay of a dune at the end of the mountains, hex below is still plain desert.
Add another overlay of plain desert with a few trees in the editor and then use it.
Resolute
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Resolute »

Beta 4

On my turns, the map focus is set to Bardia - is that intentional? I can't remember if that always has been the case prior to Beta 4 but it's a mild annoyance. The city hex is occupied by an aux Italian unit which I did not move through the entire scenario.
LostAgain
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by LostAgain »

In the after action briefing following a DV the briefer states "We have also gained an important lesson." While grammatically correct in my 59 years on this planet I've yet to hear anyone say it. What I HAVE heard is "We have also learned an important lesson."
Kamerer

Post by Kamerer »

Brevity – Beta 4

Level: Field Marshall
Begin Prestige: 80. End: 1,000. Net: + ~900
Result: DV at 11/16

Issues:

- In-game message at turn 7 still very awkwardly worded. Needs tweaking.
- The map is rather large with a lot of wasted space at the southern end? I’d end it at row 28 or so. Would make main area play better/larger scale on screen.
- Sollum obj. hex 22,15 yields 50 prestige when recaptured, vs. 100 for Halfaya pass. No big deal, but don’t all objective hexes yield 100?
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

General
start 2074
bought Me 109F
end 1428
DV 14/16
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

Beta RC2

Started new campaign on Colonel. Everything went fine until Brevity.

Played three times, the first two times the 'mission changed' message did not appear, and Sidi Azeiz did not change from a victory hex to a normal flag. I replayed the scenario until I got the message and the city changed normally.

I opened the scenario editor to see how the trigger worked, and I may have found the answer. Because I know the scenario very well, I advanced very quickly with very good units, and I was at the same time able to keep the AI bottlenecked a few turns near Sollum by keeping the Italian auxiliary alive. Even if I put it in hex (22,14) the AI wouldn't move past Sollum until it was dead, which can take a couple of turns. In the meantime I destroyed all the trucks near Sidi Azeiz and retook Fort Capuzzo. So I figured that maybe the AI didn't put enough units in zone '2' before I destroyed them for the trigger to activate.

I reloaded my old saves from the first two games and checked, the AI never had more than four units in zone '2'. I replayed my third turn (I have the save) from one game about a dozen times and each time at the start of turn four I counted the units in the zones, and when the trigger didn't come it was because I destroyed the AI units to quickly or there were only just a couple outside the zone, this was especially noticable near Fort Capuzzo and south-west of Sidi Azeiz. Especially my block at Sollum (22,15) prevented the AI from getting enough units in the zone around Fort Capuzzo.

In my case the AI couldn't move freely through Sollum into the zone. The AI got stuck there several times if the auxiliary Italian unit survived the first turn, but that's a bit random. But maybe make the zone bigger? I noticed several times if the zone included hex line (7,7) to (7,10) and/or the diagonal (8,11) to (14,14), it would make the difference between just four AI units in the zone or more than five. Or have it trigger with less units, but I am not a scenario designer, so I don't know what is best.
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

This way or another trigger is dynamic. It can happen or not. Depends on circumstances. Most other triggers do happen but some of them use randomization so not always the same situation is in question. Improvements are always possible but trying to predict all possible options with all triggers involved is hard to achieve.
Kamerer

Post by Kamerer »

Brevity, beta RC2

Level: Rommel
Begin prest.: 265. End: 900. Net: +~750
Units deployed: 16/18 + 1 SE
Result: DV 13/16

Problems:

- Movement issue via Halfaya Pass; Screen cap attached or available. Seems to assign a severe movement penalty to wheeled vehicles and no tracked. Can’t find any reason in the Library for it. Maybe it is supposed to be this way?
- Sollum objective yields 50pts? (I got 25 in Rommel). Seemed odd.
Attachments
rc2 movement.gif
rc2 movement.gif (124.29 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
uran21

Post by uran21 »

Hallfaya Pass is based on "Hill" terrain and until recently presented with hill tile as well. So hindered movement around here is intended.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”