Grand Strategy Update!

PSP/DS/PC/MAC : WWII turn based grand strategy game

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Grand Strategy Update!

Post by captkiwi »

Ok!! Without sounding like a broken record...when is the latest date for 2.1 update due out?
Samhain
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Grand Strategy Update!

Post by Samhain »

It could go on indefinetley because slitherine have other stuff to do and don't feel that they can make much money out of this game anymore. No release date is better than one that doesn't get met though.
In spite of the Final Fantasy character it's pronounced sao-win after the Irish pagan god of death. I'm not a pagan but we're on a wargames website so I thought it fitting.
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Ironclad »

At least a new provisional date would give us some encouragement. A big mistake not to ask for a beta copy earlier in the year when an opponent suggested it.
Samhain

Post by Samhain »

The release date of the last update ran out and it wasn't released until a bit after, not very long mind but added to that Commander The Great War still hasn't come out almost 3 years after its first release date so I for one would rather not have a release date.
In spite of the Final Fantasy character it's pronounced sao-win after the Irish pagan god of death. I'm not a pagan but we're on a wargames website so I thought it fitting.
colberki
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by colberki »

I own several other recent Slitherine and Matrix games like Case Blue and Conflict of Arms. Surely, Slitherine is interested in keeping our business and support for CaEW is appreciated.

Else, I am happy for Slitherine to charge a nominal sum for doing the installer! :D
Comet
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Comet »

A little annoying when all of these 2.10 topic headings have been here for months. Brochures, Manuals, installation, etc. Haven't even played the game yet. Bought it recently and figured I might as well wait for the update.

Obviously the developers went to a lot of work to create the update. No too cool to leave it in limbo.

As I wrote before, am fine with the nominal charge for the installer.
ferokapo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by ferokapo »

I have to admit that it is a bit frustrating - I've been reading about 2.1 for months now.

I realize that Slitherine is not going to make much money with CEAW anymore, so it's kind of good will that they support a fan mod through an official installer. But still, some progress would be much appreciated.

I don't think some nominal payment would be an incentive, though - the amounts generated would simply be too insignificant.

So let's hope that the installer will come out after the holiday season is over!
Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 »

I can buy another copy.... lol
Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep »

TBH GS 2.1 is as good as it's going to get. Beta testing has been extensive, any existing bugs can most likely be sorted out later with hotfixes or whatever else. Balance is quite good, although obviously it's a never-ending process. Any potential improvements (the Eastern Front in 1941, the North African Campaign etc.) would require major changes, so they are outside of the scope of 2.1 now. I think that waiting any longer is pointless. Surely Slitherine trusts the beta testers? How hard can it be to create an installer?
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Mid August and still no installer. How about just re-releasing the beta to those of us ( a minority I'm beginning to suspect) who didn't or weren't able or around to take advantage of the opportunity to access the beta when it was being provided on request earlier this year.
gsmart04

Post by gsmart04 »

Sounds like a good idea.

Also, how can you tell which release candidate you have?
Christolos
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Christolos »

Ironclad wrote:Mid August and still no installer. How about just re-releasing the beta to those of us ( a minority I'm beginning to suspect) who didn't or weren't able or around to take advantage of the opportunity to access the beta when it was being provided on request earlier this year.
Am I to understand that the GS version 2.1 pre-release files referred to in viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34278

are no longer available?

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

One of the development team mentioned some months ago that he was no longer supplying beta copies on personal request because slitherine would be issuing the installer. I had assumed that it meant that copies were no longer officially available to those without it. Presumably it may still be passed unofficially between friends or opponents.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Looking at the number of players requesting 2.1 games using beta copies, its no wonder that Slitherine are in no hurry to issue an installer.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Ironclad wrote:Looking at the number of players requesting 2.1 games using beta copies, its no wonder that Slitherine are in no hurry to issue an installer.
Why ???!!! :evil:
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

Ironclad wrote:Looking at the number of players requesting 2.1 games using beta copies, its no wonder that Slitherine are in no hurry to issue an installer.
That's not true. The inside scoop is that they hit a minor technical snag with the installer, which they've now fixed. Also, one of the critical people working on building the installer got sick last part of this week.

Like all here, I'm just a customer of Slitherine/Matrix games. I have nothing to do with the company. With that said; I'm personally glad for Slitherine/Matrix, the games they make and the niche (and small) market they serve. I know it's frustrating waiting on the installer; but I would like to plead for just a little more patience from all of us.
JimR
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by JimR »

Hear, hear. GS 2.1 is a labor of love, and sometimes these things take a while -- it will be worth the wait.
captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi »

Maybe this Christmas?
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

We do love it ! & that's the reason we keep waiting for such a long time ! At present ,we have no choice but wait & pray the release will come earlier . :(

Return to “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War : General Discussion”