Basing Light Cavalry

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Napoleonics.

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

frederic
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Basing Light Cavalry

Post by frederic » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new in the Napoleonic area. I've just received the rules and lists then I will have to purchase the miniatures if the rules fits me.

How should be based Light Cavalry in 15mm ?
Basing them by 2 instead of 3 will be cheaper but in reality did the Light Cavalry riders put more space between their horses than Heavy Cavalry ?

Thanks for your comments.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Basing Light Cavalry

Post by hazelbark » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Light Cavarly in this period was oftn battle cavalry. They would fight in the same tight formations.

So the answer would be no distance change between the horses.

there are numerous successful charges by Hussars and Uhlans throughout this period.

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:07 am

I have done my lights 2 to a base, heavies 3. It helps since my opponent is unfamiliar with the period and uniforms and even some of the cavalry types don't mean much to him. It also makes painting Hussars a lot easier and is a bit cheaper for the light cav. Running Austrians it makes it easier for me to distinguish between Dragoons and Chevau leger, both wear white and look the same.
Personal taste, I think it works alright. My Hussars are one of my main mounted killing units, they rarely let me down even if only 2 to a base.

dvorkin
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by dvorkin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:03 am

Exactly the same for me, I think it's an excelent mean to distinguish light from heavy cavalry especialy if you are not an expert in uniform.

CLAVDIVS
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by CLAVDIVS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:26 am

one or two players at Britcon had Light Cavalry based with only two figures on each base and it look OK, look at the photo if I was basing my figures now I would go for 2 figures per base for light cavalry and 3 figures per base for heavy cavalry.

Yours in the Hobby "CB"

vsolfronk
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by vsolfronk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm

One problem I have is I am converting my armies from Empire where all the cavalry are 2 per base (Usually four bases). Good for light cav but unfortunately my heavies are also 2 per base (and since the detail is really nice- not done by me!, it would be hard to duplicate the painting to add the 3rd figure...). :(

viperofmilan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by viperofmilan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:31 pm

I based all of my mounted 2 per base, primarily because I had a boatload of 8-figure regiments painted up from old Empire days. They look fine to me, and I'm the only person I have to please.

Kevin

BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by BrettPT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 pm

It is useful for opponents to see clearly whether light infantry units are in tactical or skirmish formation. Other than that, the number of figures on a base is irrelevant, you should go with what works for you.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:07 am

BrettPT wrote:It is useful for opponents to see clearly whether light infantry units are in tactical or skirmish formation.
Are you getting a lot of use out of your light infantry in skirmish formation? To date I am not.
I think it may be more important for the Unreformed who lose the PBI to slow things down, but haven't got the knack of it yet.

BrettPT

Post by BrettPT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:54 am

Are you getting a lot of use out of your light infantry in skirmish formation
uses of skirmish formation for me:

1. to allow the units to move in the first 2 turns when I'm the defender, usually to try and stop the opponent from double moving;
2. to park in front of enemy artillery; and
3. in extended skirmish lines, to cover infantry immediately behind and try to allow them to close to close range without being shot.

I can see how the formation may also be useful to move more quickly through large areas of bad terrain (although I wouldn't try to fight in bad terrain with skirmishers as they have to evade if charged) or to get out of a situation where you are isolated and in touble, although I haven't really used them this way.

Cheers
Brett

KendallB

Post by KendallB » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:14 am

Don't forget allowing unreformed infantry to move 6MU.

Sarmaticus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Sarmaticus » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:34 am

CLAVDIVS wrote:one or two players at Britcon had Light Cavalry based with only two figures on each base and it look OK, look at the photo if I was basing my figures now I would go for 2 figures per base for light cavalry and 3 figures per base for heavy cavalry.
It looks OK if you don't mind giving the entirely false impression that Light Cavalry charged in open order. Each to their own taste, of course.

Philip
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Philip » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:30 am

Are you getting a lot of use out of your light infantry in skirmish formation?
If you think your light units might break next turn, put them in skirmish order so no-one has to test when they see them break!

BrettPT

Post by BrettPT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39 am

If you think your light units might break next turn, put them in skirmish order so no-one has to test when they see them break!
Only a Dutch-Belgian commander could think of that one!
A commander of a real man's army never thinks any of his troops might break next turn! :P

deadtorius

Post by deadtorius » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:49 pm

surprisingly my Grenzers have never broken yet in 2 games. First time out they spent the entire game in skirmish. second game they spent it in tactical only.
Haven't really figured out how to use them in skirmish if there are not trees or steep hills to hide in or on.

edb1815
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by edb1815 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:17 pm

BrettPT wrote:
Only a Dutch-Belgian commander could think of that one!
A commander of a real man's army never thinks any of his troops might break next turn! :P
Ah, but the D-B lights only break after holding up the Frenchies for hours while completely outnumbered and without cavalry support! 8)

Return to “Field of Glory : Napoleonic Era 1792-1815 : General Discussion”