Cold Wars 2013 March 7-10

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Simpleton
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Cold Wars 2013 March 7-10

Post by Simpleton » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:20 pm

There have been some suggestions already for how to run the FOGR tournament(s) at Cold Wars. I'd like to solicit comments, realizing this is early and very preliminary as we haven't even had Fall-In yet. Other suggestions will be solicited at Fall-in and then the final format will be decided by the beginning of December.

In 15mm Scrumpy suggests a 900 pt tournament

In 25mm Kevin suggests a 4 game 500 pt tournament with fixed terrain. (similar to the event at Farnboro, see the AARs)

Please feel free to comment

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Cold Wars 2013 March 7-10

Post by hazelbark » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 am

Both good ideas.

Simpleton

Post by Simpleton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 pm

And we have lots of time to think on them. I like the Theme event being planned at Oxford, its a 750pt paired event, 30YW, one player is Catholic and his partner is Protestant.

viperofmilan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by viperofmilan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Bob,

Either point-value tourney would lend itself to your interdenominational idea.

Kevin

Simpleton

Post by Simpleton » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:38 pm

My what? When planning for the Con I want to do enough for players to have fun, but leave enough time to shop, eat, and sleep. I notice on the Madaxeman AAR that on a weekend tournament players sometimes play 5-6 games, we have usually run 3 since most players are exhausted by three long games.That is why Kevin and maybe others want fewer points as this lowers the break point and should lead to quicker games.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Simpleton wrote:And we have lots of time to think on them. I like the Theme event being planned at Oxford, its a 750pt paired event, 30YW, one player is Catholic and his partner is Protestant.
I like this.
We did that at Historicon. Due to attendence at the new location we ended up split the pairs.
Last edited by hazelbark on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Simpleton wrote:exhausted by three long games.That is why Kevin and maybe others want fewer points as this lowers the break point and should lead to quicker games.
Its the age old problem of do you maximum games of your event or are people going to be distracted for other events.
Many UK cons are not tournaments and vice versa. So the tournaments are really only tournaments and no dealers.

I think its a mistake to think that 900 is slwoer than 800. Less room for manuver.

I do think the 500 mini can be fast.

Simpleton

Post by Simpleton » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:32 pm

I think the issue may be that many games even at 800 points don't end in a complete victory, lower points lowers the break point but others like 900 points so you can buy more of the optional troops. Another player notes how can you call someone a champion if you play only three players and would like to play more games, others don't want to be tied down, they want to play other games offered by travelling to a Con.

viperofmilan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by viperofmilan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Simpleton wrote:I think the issue may be that many games even at 800 points don't end in a complete victory, lower points lowers the break point but others like 900 points so you can buy more of the optional troops. Another player notes how can you call someone a champion if you play only three players and would like to play more games, others don't want to be tied down, they want to play other games offered by travelling to a Con.
Bob,

As many opinions as we have players. As Rick Nelson said, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself".

Kevin

DavidofNorthCentralPA
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by DavidofNorthCentralPA » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Bob,

Kevin is right. You pick the tourney you want to run. If others want to expand and go with a higher point total that's great, hopefully we can expand the player base to do so. Until I can paint up a different army I'm stuck with Swedes in 15 and Scots Royalists in 25 so my ability to play in different themes is limited.

David

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Simpleton wrote: Another player notes how can you call someone a champion if you play only three players and would like to play more games, others don't want to be tied down, they want to play other games offered by travelling to a Con.
I totally understand and agree with this. i think any tournament "champion" is very iffy until they have played all the possible challegners to the top rung.

Its one of the reaasons i want to "fun up" the HMGS cons tournaments. If you are having a dedicated tournament only location that is a different kettle of fish.

its also one of the good reasons to mix up points.
You're favorite person scrumpy ran a FOG AM mini at 400 points. I thought it was daft. But after playing i concluded it was a good variation. I think the FOGR that someone reported at 500 could make sense too. More games. More breaks. More things to do. All worthy.

I think 700 could be fun too. I just don't think it does the result difference you think it does. It will still be fun and it will make for a different set of armies.

Simpleton

Post by Simpleton » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Lots of great ideas, still way in the future. One idea for a "Champion" would be to have a Cold Wars to Fall-In "Cup" similar to the old Reiter up the Pike and Shot Society used to have. We could also include Point Con, Little Wars, and maybe other regional events as well (with say a min attendance of 8). You have to play at least 9 games and at least 9 players, best average score wins. So you have to play enough games to be significant and enough players so that you can't just beat up the same opponent over and over. This can also encourage local eventss like at Walt's and Jim Tobin's and Games Parlor if you get at least 8 people. I bet I could really get some vendors to support that with a prize.

Let the critique begin!!!

edb1815
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by edb1815 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:48 pm

I am one of those "exhausted" players! I drifted away from FOG AM because of the long games, sometimes without a decisive result. I have been reading with interest about the mini-comps with 400-500 pts, I would definately be in favor of trying those. I also like the idea of set terrain, which may come from playing WAB tournaments. Although I do realize that terrain placement may be integral to some armies battle plans, maybe less so in FOG R? Perhaps I'll jump in to FOG R at CW - unless of course there is a FOG N tournament!

jefritrout
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jefritrout » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 pm

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - and I'll start a new topic since this one is the discussion folks had months ago.

Since nobody seems to want to run the FOG-R Tourney at Cold Wars, I'll step up and run a theme on Friday. As many of you know I have a set of Soccer/Football/Futebol/Footy rules that I also run games for; therefore I am not available to run tourney for both Friday and Saturday. I am going to run a THEME tourney on Friday - the theme is NON-EUROPEAN before 1675. Everyone says run the tourney that you want to run. For me it would be a tourney of the Americas allowing Pippos Brazilian list. I doubt that there would be much participation for that though, so I am going for outside of Europe.

TRADE and TREACHERY - only North African States
CLASH of EMPIRES - Early Ottoman Turkish - Mamluk - Aq Qoyunlu Turkoman - Anatolian Emirates - Caucasian States - Safavid Persian -and Later Ottoman Turkish.
COLONIES and CONQUEST - all armies except the later Dutch Colonial with Bayonets.
CITIES of GOLD - all armies

For those that only have pike and shot armies there are options available from Colonial Spanish, English West Indies, Colonial Dutch (run pike and shot with elephants) or if you have earlier Italian Wars try Aviz Portuguese. I have a Colonial Portuguese army someone can borrow.

The reason this is coming up now is that the DEADLINE for being included in the PEL is DECEBMER 14. If somebody else wants to run something on Saturday, feel free.

Jeff

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 pm

I am sure Jeff will get around to posting but this event was won by Japanese and Jeff's own Brazilians came in last.

viperofmilan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by viperofmilan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Shhhhhh!

jefritrout
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jefritrout » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:08 pm

I will post the results - soon. I just need to find out Joe D's last name. If anyone knows it, please let me know.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:34 pm

jefritrout wrote:I will post the results - soon. I just need to find out Joe D's last name. If anyone knows it, please let me know.
It is D. The rest is invisible.

viperofmilan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by viperofmilan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:27 pm

It is Japanese Joe the Slaying Samurai

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 pm

You Yanks had a general with an Initial for a first name, so I don't see why you can publish the results of a comp with one player being plain Mr. D...

Return to “Tournaments ”