Dwight's Camo Sprayshop

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Jelinobas
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Dwight's Camo Sprayshop

Post by Jelinobas »

I know the "Munitionskisten"
ImageImage

I mean the Size from the Weapon in comparson to the SPW. (reduc. to 75% size)
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (4.01 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

I guess Dragon/DML got their blueprints out of perspective when they spent a great deal of money in making machined molds for precision casting for their model of the SdKfz. Oh well............what a quandry, DRAGON OR Jelinobas? What to do? Who is to get the credibility and the most creedence? First it was the fantasy unit icon, now it's the weapon. Well it's a free country where I live and this is a free forum and I'm not like some others who don't want their icons messed with. Do whatever you like, that is why I posted it on the forum, to share something. But you come at me like I don't know what I am doing or talking about and I don't like that crap to be honest. There is a right way and a wrong way to offer constructive criticism, yours isn't the way I would consider it to be "constructive criticism". I really don't appreciate people who think they have to "one up" someone else to make themselves feel important or smart. Post the icon you altered on another forum and take credit for it if you want, I really don't care.

If I was like you I would make a Mercedes Maultier with the "correct" running gear and in the "correct" perspective and "ONE UP" your Mercedes after I criticized the icon you made by telling you how it should be and showing you how it is done. But I won't. Yeah, you did piss me off.
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Mongo, you liked the Panther picture I posted on the forum a while back that had the extra track links on the sides of the turret, so here you go for some custom Panthers I have been working on and still have some refinements to do, but most of the work is done at least.
Attachments
Panthers on the prowl.
Panthers on the prowl.
PANTHERS.jpg (67.58 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
Old Timer Panzer General fan. Maybe a Volksturm soldier now. Did they let Volksturm drive Panzers?
airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

They look awesome Dwight :D .

I really love the patrial shurzen look ,it looks really realistic :shock:

Keep up the great work :wink: all the stuff you make is great :mrgreen:
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
rezaf
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by rezaf »

flakfernrohr wrote:Sorry to burst your balloon Jelinobas, it is a REAL version.
flakfernrohr wrote:Oh well............what a quandry, DRAGON OR Jelinobas? What to do? Who is to get the credibility and the most creedence?
Cmon Dwight, why the hostility?
Maybe this unit was produced as depicted, maybe it looked more or less different IRL, who cares?
Yeah, obviously some of you do, but folks, this is an icon for a game in which a lot of fantasy stuff happens, so is it really that an important question you're arguing about?
If you want to continue doing so, I'd pleasantly ask you to make a thread of your own and discuss SdKfz variants and whether they're historical or not in it 'till kingdom come, but this is the DCS thread and should be mostly about stuff concerning the tool (and masks and stuff for it), so I'd appreciate if you didn't take it too far off topic.

And, Jelinobas, you ARE aware that Flak is spot on when he writes:
flakfernrohr wrote:You are under no obligation to use it in the game if you think someone else or myself made this version up.
Right? :wink:

Btw., Dwight, maybe you should think about making your own thread about all the icons you have made and are making - they're of course welcome in here, but I think the icons (and you) deserve the recognition, and there are more and more of them.
_____
rezaf
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

Hello Rezaf, Yes, I will open a new thread for any future icons. The icon, whether accurate or not, was made from a DML kit. I am not going to belabor the issue, BUT I don't like having someone beat a subject to death. I did and do not appreciate someone trying to have a comeuppance on me. I handle things differently if I have something to say, maybe that's the difference. I don't claim to be an expert but others like to act like them at times. :wink:

Henceforth, I will post no further icons on this thread. And there will be genuine "fantasy" and "paper panzer" icons as well. The thread will remain clear and clean.
Last edited by flakfernrohr on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

airbornemongo101 wrote:They look awesome Dwight :D .

I really love the patrial shurzen look ,it looks really realistic :shock:

Keep up the great work :wink: all the stuff you make is great :mrgreen:
Thank you Mongo, I do appreciate it very much.
rezaf

Post by rezaf »

flakfernrohr wrote:Henceforth, I will post no further icons on this thread. And there will be genuine "fantasy" and "paper panzer" icons as well. The thread will remain clear and clean.
Aww man, you make this sound as if I threw you out or something. :cry:
_____
rezaf
Jelinobas
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Jelinobas »

@Flakfernrohr I apologize that I have criticized you for an erroneous name of the unit and tried to explain what it is was exactly with this unit. It may of course every person create any units as he will, fantasy or real or whatever.
But I would say that I personally prefer to trust information on historical accounts of eyewitnesses and official publications were based and not first a modellbuild designer.
That the image is not my taste is totally irrelevant. Also sorry for suggesting an improvement of the image, it's your picture and may look like they want to have it.
But who goes out in public with his art must also tolerate criticism, whether he likes it or not.
Model manufacturers make often are lot of nonsense and produced to sold, for the some "sale" even more important than historical accuracy.

And sorry for all the OT from me if it was that then.

Thanks to Google for translation.

Back to the topic...

Porsche-Tiger Prototype, the only was used on the eastern front some months as "Befehlspanzer".
Tiger (P).png
Tiger (P).png (37.7 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
Tiger (P)_Mask.png
Tiger (P)_Mask.png (4.15 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

It was not the criticism of the icon, it was the manner in which the criticism was presented instead of being offered. As I said, there is a way to offer constructive criticism and it did not come across as such to me. My mistake I suppose. There are a number of icons I do not like nor use in the game done by other people, mine are no different. But I really don't mind nor care if you take them and skin them, modify them or do whatever to them. In fact I have quite a collection of icons by now (thanks to many members' generosity) and a large number of source images, so if anyone wants something in particular, perhaps I will have it.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I made two masks for AK unit additions: Maultier (Panzerwerfer42) and Brummbär. Though I had made custom units of both which are present in DCS I thought it could be nice to have the chance to skin the stock versions, if only for consistent look. I hope someone else didn't do the same stuff already...Those two masks may not be perfect (eg. I didn't care much about possible insignia replacements), but in general they should work.

Preview: Image

Feel free to use or to add to future DCS updates. Remember to make them work they go into "BaseIcons", like copies of the original unit.

Grab via "save as":

BTW, weren't the masks for (towed) artillery somewhere? Does anybody have them or when can I dl them?

Edit: messed up the maultier while saving, will upload a corrected version later...

Edit2: this one should work:

airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 »

Thank you sir
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by guille1434 »

Hello Dwight!

I would like to propose some minor improvements to this excellent tool for the icon makers...

1) Could it be made possible to sort the base icons by alphabetical order?
2) Besides that, could it be made to arrange the icons in different folders, tha same way as it can be done at present with the skins & skinthumbnails?
3) In the preview window, can be included a pure white backgroud in order to see the icon (besides the neutral/snow/grass backgrounds already available). The white background is really useful for me to spot "that" rogue pixel that fell out of place... :-)

I hope you consider adding this improvements, and that they don't mean a lot of work...

As always, infinite thanks for this superb tool!!
flakfernrohr
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by flakfernrohr »

guille1434 wrote:Hello Dwight!

I would like to propose some minor improvements to this excellent tool for the icon makers...

1) Could it be made possible to sort the base icons by alphabetical order?
2) Besides that, could it be made to arrange the icons in different folders, tha same way as it can be done at present with the skins & skinthumbnails?
3) In the preview window, can be included a pure white backgroud in order to see the icon (besides the neutral/snow/grass backgrounds already available). The white background is really useful for me to spot "that" rogue pixel that fell out of place... :-)

I hope you consider adding this improvements, and that they don't mean a lot of work...

As always, infinite thanks for this superb tool!!
Hello Guille, We shall have to ask Rezaf (the actual brains behind the tool) if these changes can be done. I will drop him an email, although I think he reads the forum on occasion. :D

As far as arranging the icons in alphabetical order, you can easily do that yourself by retitling them (I have done this with most of my German icons already since I have several variations of many icons and most of the custom icons I am working on at the present time). When you have re-titled the icons as you want, just pull the old icon file out and save it for safety purposes and put in the newly retitle icons into the folder of the mod application.
Last edited by flakfernrohr on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Just curious, I thought the icons are sorted alphabetically already in DCS? At least that was my impression...
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Flak: Ok, tell Rezaf and we will see if something can be done... I was experimenting with the tool and knew about renaming and/or changing files dates (I think dates of files have something to do as new icons tend to appear to the last of the list), but wanted to avoid the work of renaming all the icons (I have a lot of them). Also it will be useful to be able to sort the icons in different folders (naming those folders tanks, recon, artillery, etc...)

I hope that to make this modifications won't be too hard.

Bebro: in my case the icons appear in the same order as I add new ones (the newer to the last of the list)...

Thanks!!
rezaf

Post by rezaf »

Just a quick heads up, I've implemented plain white, plain black and plain pink background for the preview window.
I hope to also make the list better sorted or even provide a custom sort order.
About the folders ... I'm afraid I probably won't add that. It'd require some serious changes that could (and probably would) break other stuff. I'll take a look anyway, but don't get your hopes up.

Another thing I finally managed to implement though - it's now possible to skin aircraft icons. It's not quite perfect yet, but should at least work for all units of fighter-size - and I hope to improve it before releasing.
I'll probably not provide many masks for aircraft, but if you're willing to make them yourself, there'll be nothing stopping you.

Stay tuned.
_____
rezaf
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Thanks a lot Rezaf and Flak for hearing and trying to implement the suggestions made! I follow your comments with great interest!

Don't worry abut the folders if they are going to break other program functions... Besides, if the list is improved making it "sortable" there is no pressing need to use folders to make it more manageable.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

rezaf wrote: Another thing I finally managed to implement though - it's now possible to skin aircraft icons. It's not quite perfect yet, but should at least work for all units of fighter-size - and I hope to improve it before releasing.
I'll probably not provide many masks for aircraft, but if you're willing to make them yourself, there'll be nothing stopping you.
Still nice to have that feature. I'm looking forward to play around with it :)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

My machine wants me to install MS NET.framework v4.0 now for DCS. Not sure why, I had it running a while ago. I only run a cleanup tool in between...

BTW, does DCS work with the more recent 4.5 too?

And is someone familiar with the whole Net.framework stuff and can tell me wether I need to have previous versions still installed, or is the mods recent version enough? My settings/software show I have several versions from 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4 client etc...

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”