Historical D.A.G. games - find an opponent here!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Re: Historical D.A.G. games - find an opponent here!

Post by the_iron_duke »

I remind players taking up games that I post in this thread to only take one game of mine at a time (as stated in the opening post). It's probably just me, but I feel each game is it's own tactical tête-à-tête and so I don't like to have multiple games ongoing against the same person at the same time. Apologies, but it's just the way I feel. If other players post several games in this thread and are happy to have several games ongoing against the same opponent at the same time, please state that in your post, as the default rule for the thread is one player v player game at a time.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

stockwellpete wrote:I might do better to put this one in here . . .

Here is a hypothetical scenario at 400pts for you to try. The Medieval Irish army is based on Boylan's suggestions above and it is quite different from what is in the DAG. The Anglo-Irish army is identical to the DAG though - and I haven't come across anything at all that would suggest that the DAG is incorrect in any way.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15461007/Altern ... enario.rar

If anybody fancies giving it a whirl please let me know. We could play it as a paired game.
I have just played a paired game of this with mike48 and it worked very well. The Irish army has a much different feel to it while the Anglo-Irish are unchanged from the DAG.
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

I'm taking a break from FoG for a while. Thanks to all those who took up my historical challenges. I enjoyed them a lot more than the regular random DAG match-ups.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

medieval german (early)
against
later hungarian (early) or later polish (early): both are from eternal empire.

password: nachosten
whoever has initiative is obliged to pick a green battlefield.
jimudon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jimudon »

Gentlemen, I will be posting multiple games with the password of jimudon. If you wish to match up please match up with an historical opponent. For example, Bzyantine vs Bulgars, persians, etc. in the some what correct period. If you want to talk about more specifics, please post or im etc. I am just trying to find Gentlemen that will play historical games. I have had it with the some of the match ups. Hopefully the new game will allow better posting of challenges. Please comment just want to match up roughly historically.
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

I have concluded my hiatus and am ready to re-commence my anabasis. So here are some more battles waiting to be fought. To simplify things, I will now use a single password for all games which is: historical

Here are the challenges:

- Classical Spartan, 500 pt [*game now taken*]
- Seleucid Successor, 500 pt [*game now taken*]
- Ancient Spanish (Iberian), 500 pt [*game now taken*]
- Principate Roman (early), 500 pt [*game now taken*]
- Jewish Revolt (Josephus), 500 pt [*game now taken*]
- Early Scots-Irish, 500 pt [*game now taken*]
- Early Alan, 500 pt [*game now taken*]
- Later Ottoman (later), 500 pt [*game now taken*]

Here's some historical opponent guidance:

- Spartan opponents: Early Hoplite Greek, Early Colonial Greek. There are, of course, the Persians but I'd prefer a hoplite v hoplite battle as hoplite v Persian tends to be won by whoever gets the map choice.
- potential opponents for Seleucids include: Maurya Indian, Ptolemaic Successor, Early Sarmatian, Galatian (Seleucid War), Early Armenian, Parthian.
- for Spanish, the opponents can be Romans, Gallics, Spanish, Carthaginians from the relevant time period.
- Principate Roman: too many opponents to list
- the opponents for Jewish Revolt are Principate Roman (early). An arid map, please.
- opponents for Scots-Irish: Romans, Ancient British, Caledonian, Early Pictish
- Alans: although they originate from east of the Black Sea, they ventured as far west as Gaul, Iberia and north Africa but I'd probably prefer an opponent closer to their homeland.
- Later Ottomans: too many opponents to list

-----------------

Please read and respect the historical battle house rules listed in Post #1.

Also, I make all my armies to 500 points (because of its optimal width to troop density ratio) and I've made many, many armies from all the books so if you post a 500 point game there's a decent chance I'll take it up as I'll likely have a pre-prepared opposing army ready to go.
Last edited by the_iron_duke on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I have been playing quite a few Condotta match-ups during the past couple of weeks (plus I am the Milanese Condotta in a campaign game) and I reckon a table according to their respective strengths would look like this . . .

1/2. The Florentine and Venetian in Italy condotta armies are equal strongest (due to the number of Swiss allies that they can pick)
3. Neapolitan Condotta (can pick 6 "superior", "undrilled" mounted knights)
4. Venetian Condotta outside Italy (can pick about 10 stradiots i.e. cavalry)
5. Milanese Condotta (can pick only 2 "superior", "drilled" mounted knights)
6. Papal States Condotta (can pick only two "superior" defensive spearmen i.e. Papal Guard, also NAFF army of the year for 2011)

Anyone care to suggest something different and maybe try out a few of the armies?
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

stockwellpete wrote:Anyone care to suggest something different and maybe try out a few of the armies?
You can fight the latest version of my Venetian 500pt army if you like. It's set up, password: ciao.
jimudon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jimudon »

I posted 3 games, I have setup Principate Roman 228-259 AD if you want to match with an historical army

password is
jimudon
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I have put a slightly updated version of Grunwald-Tannenberg 1410 on the system to play as a paired game. It is exactly the same as the version included officially now in FOG except that (with the permission of the designer, omarquatar) I have "centred" the troops in the middle of the map. Before the set-up looked a bit lop-sided in my view, but now the Teutonic guns should come into play a bit more and it should make it more balanced. The password is "grunwald".
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

I would like to add clarification to my position on maps, since it has come up in discussion in a game. Battles in Europe should be fought on green maps with the following exceptions, for which either green or arid maps are suitable: the Iberian Peninsula (Spain, Portugal), Greece, Sardinia, Sicily (and some other smaller Mediterranean islands).

For further information, see this page from the European Environment Agency: http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/9 ... ge003.html (I'm aware there's been some change in climate in the last two thousand or so years but I think the general picture should still stand, unless someone can provide supplementary evidence).
jimudon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jimudon »

How does one tell if green? darker shade? lighter is arid?
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

jimudon wrote:How does one tell if green? darker shade? lighter is arid?
Maps in the game come in two colour-types: green or arid. On the map selection screen there will always, I think, be green maps and usually, but not always, arid maps to choose from. The green maps are green in colour while the arid ones are a sandy, beige colour.
jimudon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jimudon »

I am going to be posting games as the Maurikian Byzantines, with the pw gameday

Please take but put a Byzantine opponent like Lombards, Avars, Persian, Arabs perhaps North african. Lombards I would assume a green field, not sure of Avar, others Arid.
jimudon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jimudon »

Does anyone want to play historical battles against me? Meaning I like being the East Roman Empire, period varying. Or the Romans, period varying. If you tell me who you want to be I will match up with a historically correct Period army? These dropping from outer space ad hoc match ups are just not from me.
Olliander
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Olliander »

My challenge is:

Early Hoplite Greek 500 points.
Pw:Olliander
Olliander

Post by Olliander »

My callenge is:

Early Crusader 500 points.
Pw:Olliander
jimudon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jimudon »

posting game; East Romans; Bzyantines Maurikian opponents: Arab conquest, Early Bulgar, Avars, Early bulgars, Arb conquest, Sassanid Persians. The

pw gamers
jimudon
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jimudon »

I guess this thread died? I guess no one wants semi-historical games?
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

I think it's suffering from LoEG season 9 starting. Feel free to post if you have a request. I expect someone will take you up on it.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time

Return to “Field of Glory : Leagues & Tournaments & Seeking Opponents”