BA Development News Feed

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BA Development News Feed

Post by pipfromslitherine »

We use height mainly for the LOS advantage it gives (not being able to easily see units on the top of hills). There aren't any specific gameplay effects (IIRC - Iain would have to speak to it more). We have no plans for multi-level buildings currently - although can you be clearer about how you think they would function (perhaps start a new thread to make this one easier to navigate for the dev news).

Smoke has been mentioned a lot - I know it is something people have asked for a number of times. We've just hot had the bandwidth to both implement and then balance test it. But it's definitely on the list!

Cheers

Pip
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

New addition - the ability to replay the last MP replay. This is only possible prior to giving any orders to your units.

Cheers

Pip
Granfali
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Granfali »

Niceeeeeee!!!!
enric
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by enric »

New addition - the ability to replay the last MP replay. This is only possible prior to giving any orders to your units.
This was must!!!, thank you.
The perfection should be to be able to see also your last turn not just the opponent move.
Grimnirsson
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Grimnirsson »

Is that a feature added to the to do list or is it available now? I ask because I didn't get any update when starting the game and in my current game I don't see the option.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's in the next update. All the stuff you see in this thread is upcoming in 2.0.6 which won't be released for probably 3-5 weeks.

Cheers

Pip
enric

Post by enric »

the ability to replay the last MP replay
Pip, it would be very nice to have the possibility to free move the map during replay.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll add it to my list and see what I can do.

Cheers

Pip
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a reminder that you can grab the open beta version of 2.0.6 and try out all these cool new toys :).

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=37685

Cheers

Pip
collegeprof86
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by collegeprof86 »

in the process of downloading the 2.06 beta - but have spent 2 days doing so and each time the local server resets before the whole 321 mb file downloads... i have spent a lot of my time working with the editor... and i have a few questions about the new beta... i would like to do the following with the editor - and i don't know how i can do this with the current version, so i am hoping the new editor has these functions -

1 - i would like to assign experience levels to individual units in any new scenario

2 - i would like to be able to edit the amount of ammo units may have as well as their morale - for instance, a mission can have totally different outcomes if one side is already immoralized a the beginning of a battle where they would be likely to cut and run, rather than fight to the death - for instance comparing waffen ss units and some japanese units that would keep fighting til they were killed... or some that simply chose to surrender

3 - the current editor seems to limit hills to plus 1 only.... i would like to build mountains and not just small hills or mounds... sorry for the typos.. working fast before the server crashes - lol

4 - i still would like to see smoke and tank tread immobilization effects

5 - i still am seeing even in the new release 2.05 things like the Bishop having near modern day kill capacity - dropping a load from a bishop can eliminate almost any item the 1st time around, if not after 2 turns of it.. seems like a cheat still.

6 - i am seeing units afv and tanks whose moral is less than 30 and with no ammo showing, still reacting to and firing on my units - i thought any suppressed unit were not supposed to fire at all... i see no evidence in my games this has been fixed..

7 - still the very best game on the market - so quick and easy - i love it!!!!

8- when pulling to the editor existing scenarios from the exansions to use as map sets and unit sets to develop my own scenarios, i am getting some can't find the txt file for some units that only has taken place since the 2.05 upgrade and my purchase of sealion...

9 - i would love to be able to create my own missions with those patrol boats, and the snipers ,and the special forces units from sealion but have been unable to do so.. any ideas on what i am doing wrong?

10 - eastern front units would be my next choice of an expansion - or norway and scandanavia...
thanks folks - this game i play more than all the others combined nowadays - can finish a whole scenario in a few hours..
making the world a better place through UNICEF and AIEF and CIN....
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

collegeprof86 wrote:in the process of downloading the 2.06 beta - but have spent 2 days doing so and each time the local server resets before the whole 321 mb file downloads... i have spent a lot of my time working with the editor... and i have a few questions about the new beta... i would like to do the following with the editor - and i don't know how i can do this with the current version, so i am hoping the new editor has these functions -

1 - i would like to assign experience levels to individual units in any new scenario

2 - i would like to be able to edit the amount of ammo units may have as well as their morale - for instance, a mission can have totally different outcomes if one side is already immoralized a the beginning of a battle where they would be likely to cut and run, rather than fight to the death - for instance comparing waffen ss units and some japanese units that would keep fighting til they were killed... or some that simply chose to surrender

3 - the current editor seems to limit hills to plus 1 only.... i would like to build mountains and not just small hills or mounds... sorry for the typos.. working fast before the server crashes - lol

4 - i still would like to see smoke and tank tread immobilization effects

5 - i still am seeing even in the new release 2.05 things like the Bishop having near modern day kill capacity - dropping a load from a bishop can eliminate almost any item the 1st time around, if not after 2 turns of it.. seems like a cheat still.

6 - i am seeing units afv and tanks whose moral is less than 30 and with no ammo showing, still reacting to and firing on my units - i thought any suppressed unit were not supposed to fire at all... i see no evidence in my games this has been fixed..

7 - still the very best game on the market - so quick and easy - i love it!!!!

8- when pulling to the editor existing scenarios from the exansions to use as map sets and unit sets to develop my own scenarios, i am getting some can't find the txt file for some units that only has taken place since the 2.05 upgrade and my purchase of sealion...

9 - i would love to be able to create my own missions with those patrol boats, and the snipers ,and the special forces units from sealion but have been unable to do so.. any ideas on what i am doing wrong?

10 - eastern front units would be my next choice of an expansion - or norway and scandanavia...
thanks folks - this game i play more than all the others combined nowadays - can finish a whole scenario in a few hours..
wow - lots of stuff! :)

1 - you've been able to do this since day 1, using the 1,2,3 keys when over a unit.

2 - that's someting you'd need to do in the mission script (or of course globally using a custom squads file)

3 - sorry, no mountains! The game model isn't set up for more than one height level currently.

4 - they're already out there in mods, but no plans currently to try and integrate them into the main game. Although who knows what expansions will bring!

5 - I think Iain has already taken a look at this?

6 - armour has always has a chance to 'panic fire' back even when suppressed, but with 50% accuracy. I think it is mentioned in the loading tips.

7 - correct! I mean, thanks :).

8 - my guess is that it happens due to not having the campaign set up for the expansion units you want to use. It's not super simple currently, but I'm not sure how to best make it easy to do.

9 - You would probably need to start with a mission using the Sealion squads file. I would recommend making a copy of the Sealion campaign folder, then removing the scenario files. You should then be able to access the appropriate units in the editor.

10 - Ah ah. No trying to get any info on the next expansions! ;)

If you find any beta 2.0.6 issues, please post them in the open beta forum to ensure that the right people see them (to try and repeat etc).

Cheers

Pip
collegeprof86
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by collegeprof86 »

thanks Pip.... had some problems with the install twice yesterday... see new topic posting... also wondering about the enhanced AI... seems the memory footprint is a lot higher than it was - like 1/2 gigabyte or higher (530,000 mb)... more of a load than before on the processors... and i find sometimes the units to be suicidal.. like moving armored personnel carriers directly in the path of fire from sherman tanks whom had just fired... would think even with fog of war on, that the last reported position of an enemy unit would be the last place an underamed and underarmored unit would want to investigate...

thanks for this game... the playability factor is so quick and the learning curve very low.. so i love that this game unlike some can be finished in a few hours, unlike some where i am still playing months later.. an awesome concept... have you ever given consideration to having naval only scenarios - we have the patrol boats from sealion... just an idea... like the hunt for the bismark if you will.......
making the world a better place through UNICEF and AIEF and CIN....
ERommel
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Suggestion for the next upgrade

Post by ERommel »

Suppressed units are able to capture a flag which can be used as a trick as I have just experienced playing a player with experience in what he calls "perfect strategies".

Another game that I have enjoyed playing for years requires the unit to be health, not suppressed, to claim a flag.

By placing a unit behind a suppressed unit on a bridge with no escape except forward on to a victory flag the unit will advance and capture the flag if it comes under fire.

I suggest that the developers consider this issue and fix it by requiring a unit to not be retreating and or suppressed to be able to score a flag.
Imagine yourself acclaimed, a decorated national hero, an idol to millions of desperate people, then within six months, condemned to death by hanging.
- Joachim Peiper
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is definitely not what we intended, but i cant see it happening an enormous amount. As you say, you need to be in a position to arrange more than one unit to make it happen. I also think it might be tricky to show the player why they did not get the flag capture. As victory points are not something intrinsic to the game, they are a scripted mechanic, it also means that all non plugin vp missions would need to be updated, which is no small task.

I'll take a look though to see if there is anythink sneaky that could be done to reduce the ability to game the retreat system like this.

Cheers

Pip
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Been a while since an update, so I thought I would give you some idea of the goings on.

We've aquired a new, experienced game programmer on the team and he is going to be working on BA. He's already done a few of the wishlist tasks - and that's just since Tuesday! :)

We're not looking to have the next patch 2.1 out until the New Year, but it will bring more improvements and more features. Details coming soon!

Cheers

Pip
Granfali
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Granfali »

Good news!!!!

Thanks PiP ;)
GottaLove88s
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by GottaLove88s »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Been a while since an update, so I thought I would give you some idea of the goings on.

We've aquired a new, experienced game programmer on the team and he is going to be working on BA. He's already done a few of the wishlist tasks - and that's just since Tuesday! :)

We're not looking to have the next patch 2.1 out until the New Year, but it will bring more improvements and more features. Details coming soon!

Cheers

Pip
Congratulations Pip... that's excellent news! :-)
SCENARIO LINKS
Seelow'45 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=55132
Normandy'44 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42094
Dieppe'42 -> www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=42347
Vonox
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Vonox »

pipfromslitherine wrote: We've aquired a new, experienced game programmer on the team and he is going to be working on BA. He's already done a few of the wishlist tasks - and that's just since Tuesday! :)
Ehmm.... has he had "offline hotseat" on his drawing board this weekend ?
I would really really love that feature :D
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

We're not planning to add in offline hotseat for BA 1 currently. I assume you mean for the iPad so you can pass back and forth? To do it properly it would need quite a lot of UI I think to enable clean handovers etc - like player naming and so on. I think something lower tech might be confusing for more casual players.

Cheers

Pip
Vonox

Post by Vonox »

No, I meant for the PC version :)
Thus that you only need to have a single computer running, and is not dependent on whether the network is online or not. E.g. the same kind of hotseat system as in "Heroes of M&M".

Return to “Battle Academy”