Early Christmas Gift - Random Quick Battles!

PC : Battle Academy is a turn based tactical WWII game with almost limitless modding opportnuities.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Early Christmas Gift - Random Quick Battles!

Post by pipfromslitherine »

They are some of the most popular mods ever, and so here - just in time for the Christmas break - are the Merr Quick Battles, all ready and available to download into any version of the game.

These mods haven't been tested on iPad extensively, and so I am not making them official yet, but hopefully packaging them up this way will allow even more people to play these legen-(wait for it)-dary random maps.

You can download them by entering this URL via the "Download a Campaign Package from the Internet" button:

http://bit.ly/TaIq9Y

(note, that 'I' is a capital i (eye))

The 5 scenarios (three single player, and two MP) will appear on your download list, and you can grab those that you want. Note that it shows up a small bug on the download list scroll bar, with it being amusingly tiny on iPad. You can still use either the MP/SP filter buttons to shorten the list, or tap the end of the scroll bar to move it down.

Enjoy! And remember to ask Santa to leave an extra something in Merr and Amaris' stockings this year to thank them for these awesome mods.

Cheers

Pip
Richardg
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Early Christmas Gift - Random Quick Battles!

Post by Richardg »

Sorry to be obnoxious, but is anyone else having some odd problems with these scenarios? I tend to get two: 1) an inert A.I. opponent - they tend to just sit still until approached; and 2) on occasion, I can't get the computer to recognize that I've taken a victory point. I've even sat atop it and clicked through the turns and it never registers.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

As these are user mods, it is possible that there might be some bugs. Hopefully they don't ruin the experience too much.

Cheers

Pip
jcb989
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by jcb989 »

Richardg wrote:Sorry to be obnoxious, but is anyone else having some odd problems with these scenarios? I tend to get two: 1) an inert A.I. opponent - they tend to just sit still until approached; and 2) on occasion, I can't get the computer to recognize that I've taken a victory point. I've even sat atop it and clicked through the turns and it never registers.

I have some of the original downloads I think they are version 1.12 if I recall, and when I play single player mode I too see what you report, the AI opponent just sits there until contact is made. What's interesting is, that did not use to be the case when I played these in the past - my best guess is that something in the main game upgrades and patches has caused something in Merr's AI script to essentailly fail. I had not bothered to report it as an issue because I knew Merr has been absent form the forums for quite some time.

My temporary solution is to send one unit ahead to make contact and leave my forces unmoved until the AI starts moving. Not very satisfying perhaps but the AI does respond once they spot the first enemy unit.

Also of most importance, the issue does not affect multiplayer games.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm - now you mention it, I think Merr had custom AI routines in those missions. Can you check whether changing the setting for the Advanced AI (under the Advanced Options menu) alters the AI issue.

Cheers

Pip
jcb989

Post by jcb989 »

Didn't know that option was tucked away in there... but alas, it does not alter this issue for Merr single player modes. I tested only US V1.12 though.
Maybe someone here in the forum could take a crack at fixing the issues, if that is legally allowed.
enric
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by enric »

Meer put the team aggression to 8 (ignore enemy moving) on:

SetTeamAggression()
MoveTeam()

If you change it to 16 (seek and destroy) the German forces will not remain immobile.

I don't studied i detail maybe other factor should apply.
leci
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by leci »

I have added this to the Playable Mods and Scenarios Directory sticky at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles
Last edited by leci on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

They are running fine on my iPad. While I wait for Rommel in Normandy this will be the SP I will play :mrgreen:
DocMogs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DocMogs »

Hi,

i'm getting an error with these random battles on my PC. they download and i can select and play them but before anything happens i get this screen and then BA quits on me.

Any advice?

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

The latest release stiffened up the syntax checking on the scripts, and it looks like there was a (previously undetected) error in one of the scripts. If you open and fix the script then the mission will continue without issue (you just need to remove the "= 0" part from the int flag line).

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
DocMogs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DocMogs »

yeah ok, i see

the script file with the error is AMA_RANDOMMAP7QA in all versions of Merr.

here are some links for the corrected links for multiplayer anyone who's having trouble. If you correct the one in the OP then i will remove these.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/517 ... _V1.12.LST

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/517 ... V1.12A.lst
Last edited by DocMogs on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool - thanks! I will try and get to fixing these as soon as I can find the time... :(

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
DocMogs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DocMogs »

i may have miss-spoken

the links i posted are direct LST link for anyone looking to download the corrected MP maps/scripts. You could download them and then host them using the original link above, shouldn't take you long,
Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Uncle_Joe »

I just tried these version and again, the enemy AI does not seem to move unless you approach their troops. I played a German Quick Battle downloaded as per above and I never saw a US troop. I just took 3 of the 5 objectives and then sat and nothing happened for all of the rest of the turns.

Maybe I'm installing something wrong or something but I think I got these 3 installed properly so I don't know what the problem could be.

Thanks!
Uncle_Joe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Uncle_Joe »

Quick FYI for people wanting to play these quick battles...

If you remove/rename the AI directories in the downloads, the 'default' AI seems to work OK. Is it a work of genius? No, but at least the enemy comes out and fights and can do a credible job if things break correctly for it.
jcb989

Post by jcb989 »

I'm having problems again this these scripts, I am getting a hard script error that aborts the game.
I will try to see if I can screen capture the error message and post it here. Anyone else having a problem?
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 »

jcb989 wrote:I'm having problems again this these scripts, I am getting a hard script error that aborts the game.
I will try to see if I can screen capture the error message and post it here. Anyone else having a problem?
I've played many of these and not had any issues with script errors...playing on PC. I generally play the Small/Medium battles...I stay away from the large ones...just not my thing. Which size are you getting errors on?
jcb989

Post by jcb989 »

Hi Morge
medium and large, so far. but then, I played a few other scenarios, and came back and tried these again and it did not error out.
Not sure what the intermittent problem is, but if I see it again I will see if I can do a screen capture. The script error is one that I do not recognize at first glance though.

Return to “Battle Academy”