What period interests you most?

Moderator: Slitherine Core

What period of history are you most interested in gaming?

Egyptian & ancient near east
14%
Sparta and the Greeks
10%
Rome and her enemies
31%
Dark Ages
9%
The Crusades
10%
Medieval
24%

Total votes: 86

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

What period interests you most?

Post by IainMcNeil »

We're looking for a bit of feedback. Please feel free to comment as well as vote!
coldknight
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by coldknight »

well id have to say that i like the dark ages, crusades, and medieval just because thats what im interested in
just thought id comment, and btw, good poll :)
dithyrambos
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by dithyrambos »

If I have to go with just one, I have to pick the Crusades. However, I am also interested in other Dark Age/Medieval eras.

Granted, I like all of the eras available in the poll, but Slitherine has predominately covered the more Ancient eras, and I think it would be neat to see a Slitherine game in the Dark Age/Crusades/Medieval eras.
"Now Dithyrambos, the Thespian captain... by trade an architect and by no means a professional soldier, had already distinguished himself with such magnificent courage throughout the day..." From Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire
coldknight
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by coldknight »

Id also like to say that i also like the sparta and greeks :wink:
SPQR
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by SPQR »

Rome, Rome, Rome :D the most intresing pepole to read about. romans have always facinated me :D
sum1won
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by sum1won »

Crusades. Different weapons, kinds of people, and how social ideas governed who used what weapons are interesting.
Usual gaming hours: 11PM-4AM GMT
SPQR

Post by SPQR »

the crusades are cool to 8) but i love my rome:D
lancerunolfsson
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lancerunolfsson »

I'm Glad to see Crusades and Dark Ages doing at least as well as Rome. You can sort of cross over Rome and the Dark Ages with "Fall of Rome and the Dark Ages" that could be fun. Crusades would be nice to be sure. I think I voted for Egypt etc. But the main thing is getting somthing at least a tad differnt from ROME, for a change. One thing I would really like to see no matter what period is next is the ability to upgrade veteran units to newer types. For instance in Legion Arena you can keep giving you Veteran Peasant unit new toys But in the end they are still Peasants. It would be nice to be able to take those veteran troops and up grade them to Legion status at some point. As in the Panzer General Games.
xhold0utx

Post by xhold0utx »

i like them all!!! :lol:
honvedseg
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Favorite

Post by honvedseg »

While I like both the Greek and Roman periods, they've been done before. There's precious little out there for the earlier periods and other cultures (aside from Slitherine's own Chariots of War). It might not be as marketable as another Roman or Middle Ages game, but there's no competition.

Making a decent underlying game engine and animations, then applying unique graphic "skins" and suitable scenario background material and scenarios for various times and cultures might give Slitherine an ongoing source of fresh titles with a lot less programming. Their "creative genius" can then be applied to totally new ventures, while whoever gets stuck with doing the artwork and graphics would have to suffer through yet another reskin of the same old meshes.
anguille
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by anguille »

All in all it's a very difficult question as i enjoy them all. However, for most of these periods there are good games...

Medieval and crusades: Knights of honor, MTW 1&2, Lords 3, Stronghold 1&2 etc....

Rome: RTW, Legion 2 (soon i hope), Legion Arena and GboR (2 battles every day is my medicine in the office :wink: ), civcity: Rome, Caesar IV, Glory of the Roman Empire etc...

Sparta and ancient Greece...we still have the excellent Sparta and Got (actually, i'd love to see the same game with battles from Legion Arena... :wink: )

I have voted for Egypt as, apart from Chariots of War, is almost uncharted territory...

Two cultures that have not been mentionned and that are really very interesting:

Ancient India and China
kleinemann
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kleinemann »

What about a stone-age strategy game?!
Here's a thought of how a stone-age strategy game would look like:
You'd control groups of about 20-30 hairy men & arm them with rocks and spears...
Then you'd send them out of your caves and make the hunt mammoths and raid neighboring villages :lol:
Oh, and in order to keep your hunters/soldiers from leaving you, you'd have to have a decent supply of meat and clothing and stuff...
kleinemann
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kleinemann »

anguille wrote:All in all it's a very difficult question as i enjoy them all. However, for most of these periods there are good games...

Medieval and crusades: Knights of honor, MTW 1&2, Lords 3, Stronghold 1&2 etc....

Rome: RTW, Legion 2 (soon i hope), Legion Arena and GboR (2 battles every day is my medicine in the office :wink: ), civcity: Rome, Caesar IV, Glory of the Roman Empire etc...

Sparta and ancient Greece...we still have the excellent Sparta and Got (actually, i'd love to see the same game with battles from Legion Arena... :wink: )

I have voted for Egypt as, apart from Chariots of War, is almost uncharted territory...

Two cultures that have not been mentionned and that are really very interesting:

Ancient India and China
Mongols and other plains tribes/nations in the east are also yet to be mentioned. They'd probably make for an interesting strategy game environment due to their constant tribal conflicts and raids on china and other more "civilized" nations. Also there are rather few games I've seen about people in america before the european settlers came, like the Aztecs, Incas and other indians I've forgotten about.
Would be cool to see more games featuring those people, wouldn't it?
kleinemann
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kleinemann »

anguille wrote:All in all it's a very difficult question as i enjoy them all. However, for most of these periods there are good games...

Ancient India and China
Mongols and other plains tribes/nations in the east are also yet to be mentioned. They'd probably make for an interesting strategy game environment due to their constant tribal conflicts and raids on china and other more "civilized" nations. Also there are rather few games I've seen about people in america before the european settlers came, like the Aztecs, Incas and other indians I've forgotten about.
Would be cool to see more games featuring those people, wouldn't it?
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

Im a classical & republician period gamer... spreading from ~ 480BC to ~1 AD. So my votes goes to Rome and Greek periods.
robindavies
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: What period interests you most?

Post by robindavies »

iainmcneil wrote:We're looking for a bit of feedback. Please feel free to comment as well as vote!
Um... all of them. You have the engine... you make 'em, we'll buy 'em.
Rome wins hands down though. Having said that, I am really looking forward to your Medieval game although given that i am a Mac guy I will be waiting for Freeverse to port it (amazing how many Mac people there are here who love your games).
Phatguy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Phatguy »

i chose crusades, butreally all those choices are golden.... will buy any games from those choices
durin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by durin »

1) Rome and her enemies (Voted)
2) Egyptian & ancient near east
2) Sparta and the Greeks

Last:
Dark Ages
The Crusades
Medieval

I hope Legion 2 (Big map, from Britain to India as West/East. From Scandinavia to North-Africa as North/south). I play as RTW with http://www.europabarbarorum.com/ They made as i mean...

I played old games as : Legion, legion Gold, Chariots of War, Spartan, Gates of Troy.... I liked them, but i want better way , since new days = more better...

My best player : Carthage! I want to make a wealth empire and win a long war against Rome! :twisted:
MrVegas
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by MrVegas »

I was checking Legion Arena the other day, and thought that the battles look interesting, and i might even buy it, but havn't as yet as there is no campaign map or city build like on GoT/Spartan etc. The roman battle formation options on Arena looks interesting. What i found very tedious on the Total War games was their rubbish battles and city sieges, so boring running through street to street.. is it just me that thinks that? A battle should be that you set up your units before the battle, and engage, with some later option of moving a few units around etc. That's what makes a battle fun to play.. Total War games are not fun in that respect. The campaign map on GoT was absolutely perfect, so i'd like to see that in the Egypt world, with a fairly big map. I voted Egypt, but really Rome is the best game possible, if made well, as their battle tactics were best and most interesting, and you wouldn't have to make chariots, which are a bit boring really.
But keep the city build window, as that was very good, it allowed us to manage cities properly, and quickly, and get a living feel to the whole game. More important than the era to me, is the battle set-up, a decent map, (with a map editor)
interactive cities, turn-based. Slitherine are the only people who have made that sort of game well. So for me, a Legion Arena game, with a GoT type map and city build would be perfect. And unlike Legion, have a map of the whole med area.
davidball161
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by davidball161 »

MODERN WARFARE

Return to “General Discussion”