Panzer Corps goes Greenlight

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Mordan
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Panzer Corps goes Greenlight

Post by Mordan »

cool,

I hope it works out well for you guys. but I don't use Steam and don't plan to use it.

I hope the player base increases so a better Panzer Corps gets out. The PBEM+ is great but has many shortcomings which I hope won't put off the Steam crow (multiplayer oriented)
Durin1978
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Durin1978 »

Hi.

I already voted for Panzer Corps. I would be really happy if we might get a bit feedback from time to time about how many votes you got and if you were satisfied with that number. It is a bit annoying, that as a player and usual customer you can´t see how succesful a game is you voted for.
euramer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by euramer »

Eventualy I voted yes, but it's just because it is you and I will deny any reference you may make about to this somewhat reprehensive act...
Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc »

I hope the team is prepared for an onslaught of the stupid kind. I do not want to discriminate Steam users, I use it myself, but the large number of players on Steam means a lot of "quality" feedback will happen. But also a lot of sales, so... :)
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Longasc wrote: Steam means a lot of "quality" feedback will happen
No real time???? :P :wink:
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

Longasc wrote:I hope the team is prepared for an onslaught of the stupid kind. I do not want to discriminate Steam users, I use it myself, but the large number of players on Steam means a lot of "quality" feedback will happen. But also a lot of sales, so... :)
Hmm that implies that non wargamer persons on Steam are likely to be mainstream gamers that 'just wouldn't understand Panzer Corps'.

While I can understand a person used to World of Warcraft like gaming, or Battlefield 3 type gaming or Starcraft 2 type gaming, might not have ad the opportunity to play any of our quaint old school wargames that look so much like 70s era board games, I think it is possibly a bad idea to assume through insinuation they might be 'lacking' in any fashion at all.

I've watched people play mainstream games. MMOs are not all about mindless hack and slash, those guys often know precisely what combined arms means. Shooters, those guys are used to reading terrain brutally well. And I have seen my son playing Starcraft 2 and he knows precisely what units will do precisely what functions in what speeds and he's no stranger to memorizing the exact performances of scores of units from his forces and the opponent.

Just because he would not be able to play a game I play especially well the first time around, is in no way because I am inherently superior at wargames. I am just familiar with them.

I see 'dummied down' as a regular term all the damned time. I think the main dummies in the topic of wargaming, are the ones insisting wargames need to be on a PC to be superior, and need to look like tedious designs to be accurate simulations, and can only sell well in old fashioned methods. Slitherine will be in business a lot longer than it's competitors mainly because they are learning to tap into the pool of non typical means to market.
Wargames can be sold anywhere you wish to make money. They can't be making money anywhere they are not. Self evident, but it seems like the idea has been one too many have resisted for too long.

You will NOT get my son to play a wargame, till he actually sees them where he games.
There is NO reason Panzer Corps can't be played on every single game device on the market with the exception of a phone, but then I don't think much of screens smaller than a Nintendo DS.
The best way to make a small return on a game, is to market it to just a small market.
The best way to limit a wargame, is to make it with limits.
I think War in the East for all of it's stupendous detail accuracy and splendor is likely the most limited wargame made in 10 years.

Gamers WILL sit and play any game they like, and play it for hour after hour after hour, if they like playing it. I've seen gamers spend day after day after day hammering away at games. There is no reason they can't be playing be playing wargames like that other than no one has spent much time making it possible.
The argument a game needs to be 3d and real time and awesome graphics forgets all of the very successful turn using very tactical very graphically simple role games that have sold quite profitably. There is a lot less separating Final Fantasy Tactics and most squad level wargames than you might think. But I can play FF on almost anything, and almost everyone has heard of it.

Greenlight is a good start, and Steam could be a useful tool. But, it should be just a stepping stone into the rest of mainstream as a whole.

The one thing Slitherine and Matrix Games really needs to come to grips with, is aside from a handful of wargamers, NO ONE HAS REALLY EVER HEARD OF THEM. Cruel but true.
krugec
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by krugec »

I dont use steam much, but I voted for PzC.
orlinos

Post by orlinos »

DSWargamer wrote:
Longasc wrote:I hope the team is prepared for an onslaught of the stupid kind. I do not want to discriminate Steam users, I use it myself, but the large number of players on Steam means a lot of "quality" feedback will happen. But also a lot of sales, so... :)
Hmm that implies that non wargamer persons on Steam are likely to be mainstream gamers that 'just wouldn't understand Panzer Corps'.
I definitely agree with most of what you have written. Modern touch control devices are great tools to play "old-school" turn-based games and it's great that PC will sell even better and to wider audience.

But the "onslaught of the stupid kind" is a true danger. Not because everyone using Steam is an idiot, but because there are quite a few idiots out there and THEY WANT THEMSELVES HEARD.

I bought numerous, mostly indie, games on Steam and I am always amazed how many people whine that some atypical, very idiosyncratic game they bought - like FTL or Gratuitous Space Battles - is crap and has no 3D and is crap and has crap graphics and is too tough and complicated and is crap... And that roguelikes have no manual save. And are crap!

Luckily, most of these people stay at Steam forums, so developer-owned forums are always much nicer places. Still, when Panzer Corps will be on Steam, we might have to endure some immature comments here for some time. No big deal! :P
Piotr 'Orlinos' Kozlowski
deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter »

orlinos wrote: I bought numerous, mostly indie, games on Steam and I am always amazed how many people whine that some atypical, very idiosyncratic game they bought - like FTL or Gratuitous Space Battles - is crap and has no 3D and is crap and has crap graphics and is too tough and complicated and is crap... And that roguelikes have no manual save. And are crap!
I just wanted to say that FTL is a great game, easily better than many $60 titles I've bought.
orlinos

Post by orlinos »

deducter wrote:
orlinos wrote: I bought numerous, mostly indie, games on Steam and I am always amazed how many people whine that some atypical, very idiosyncratic game they bought - like FTL or Gratuitous Space Battles - is crap and has no 3D and is crap and has crap graphics and is too tough and complicated and is crap... And that roguelikes have no manual save. And are crap!
I just wanted to say that FTL is a great game, easily better than many $60 titles I've bought.
Absolutely! I love it, although I have reached the Boss only few times and have failed during the second stage of the battle...
Piotr 'Orlinos' Kozlowski
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Orlinos there will ALWAYS be the stupid among us online :)

Some days I am one of them :)

I bought War in the Pacific, awesome title, but in my view it was stupid of me to play it. I had the idea that it would finally let me play the equal of my monster board game Pacific War. Nope both were dull massive unwieldy mistakes at the wallet level.

I bought War in the East thinking that it would magically allow me to play Fire in the East in a space friendly fashion. But massive and dull doesn't stop being massive and dull just because it isn't made of paper :) It too was a stupid choice of mine.

And I am not afraid to say it.

I have bought lots of great games that I TOLD myself I wanted and thus needed. Guild Wars 2, and Dragon Age for examples. Great games really, but rather stupid if playing MMOs and games possessing lots of aggressive movement that is hard to track visually is a problem like it is for me.

The beauty of some games, is that they simply don't demand a massive sum of video power and they don't require a lot of right now and no pausing levels of attention span and commitment. I have actually heard gamers lament needing to show up for a raid as if they had been called into work!!

You don't get that with games that are straight forward and easy to play and capable of processing a turn in under 5 minutes.

Some games are what they are, loner experiences not meant to be ideally social, and some games just can't help but be good for being social.
I can play 5 games of Battle Academy at the same time, and churn out the turns rather easily.
War in the East is an all day event and you get in maybe 2 turns if you are lucky.

The only reason we might get odd replies outside of wargaming, is too many INSIDE of wargaming think War in the East is the be all and end all of wargaming.
Some are even lamenting Slitherine group for marketing something other than WitE rehashes.
I personally think the only people in wargaming needing to fret, are those wishing to make a buck in wargaming, and not following Slitherine Groups lead.

I don't think the stick in the mud grog PC elitists have any reason to think the future needs them. I don't need them :)
deducter

Post by deducter »

DSWargamer wrote: The argument a game needs to be 3d and real time and awesome graphics forgets all of the very successful turn using very tactical very graphically simple role games that have sold quite profitably. There is a lot less separating Final Fantasy Tactics and most squad level wargames than you might think. But I can play FF on almost anything, and almost everyone has heard of it.
The game PzC most reminds me of is actually the Fire Emblem series, which has been around for 20 years and actually just came out with a new title this year. Both games have a lot of common: turn-based combat, set piece maps with scripted events, "core" units that gain experience and level up. The newest Fire Emblem has been selling very well in America. This demonstrates that there is a market for this type of games for Western audiences. Getting more exposure for wargames will be a lot to get new players into the community.
FZSC
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by FZSC »

How many votes left in Steam before i comfortably buy this cool game in Russia?)
All DLC and AK also will be in Steam and with russian translation?
Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Muddy »

What will this mean for us that have the game plus dlc already, will we be able to transfer our game codes to steam to keep it all nice and neat?

I bought Unity of command from their website and when they got on steam they sent me a steam code. Now I play UOC plus it's new dlc though steam. It would be nice if I could do the same with PC.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We dont really know how any of this works yet but possibly yes. `Its hard to promise anything at this stage.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

As I replied in another thread on PzC coming to Steam:
We have no idea if it is going to be released on Steam, we just submitted it to Steam Greenlight in the hope we would get voted in.

There is no certainty, we might not get voted in or it will take another 9 months, the whole procedure of what is required is pretty vague and Steam staff keep complete radio silence.

We don`t know what is required, all we could do is submit it to Greenlight and wait and see...all the rest is pure speculation and guessing.

To be honest, we don`t like the whole procedure as we are totally in the dark, I find it a very strange and vague procedure, not really fitting a good publisher, but due to popular request we are now on Greenlight and await until we get a go or a no... basically we know as much as all you do, nothing... it is a mystery for us as well.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

It may be just a thought, but maybe Steam is very reluctant to share info about the voting process to avoid people using this information to manipulate the system?
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Could well be... but is is what it is, we are on Greenlight, all we can do now is wait and see if we get on Steam.

We see Steam as a possible cool extra digital online store with a lot of potential, but we don`t, and never want to, rely on it alone.

In the mean time we work all hard on getting the whole series to iOS, working on the next big expansion and improving/patching and updating the game where needed. :-)
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

The ONLY reason I have been for suggesting Steam is exposure.

It's a massive opportunity to get very valuable marketing that is so key to sales.

If the revenue comes in great, but advertising costs a fortune, so any time you can get good advertising it is hard to justify avoiding it.

I would never willingly buy something that was only available on Steam and available via no other method. I need some serious convincing before I buy Steam only games, or the game needs to be something I could walk away from and not care about the loss.
Alex2001
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Alex2001 »

Can you give some feedback how the Steam Greenlight campaign comes along?
In a week new games will be announced which were greenlit by Valve.

If Panzer Corps will be greenlit do you plan to release also the DLCs as well as Afrika Corps through Steam?
Last edited by Alex2001 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Panzer Corps”