The New Field of Glory

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Brigz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: The New Field of Glory

Post by Brigz »

TheGrayMouser wrote: You can only see the beta thread if you sign up for the beta. And no, the Unity version not is going to be ready that soon. What Cothyso referenced is there is a new beta build that is coming out soon for testing...
So what's the problem with letting those of us who chose not to beta test, get a little note every now and then about what's happening? Not a lot to ask.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Brigz wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote: You can only see the beta thread if you sign up for the beta. And no, the Unity version not is going to be ready that soon. What Cothyso referenced is there is a new beta build that is coming out soon for testing...
So what's the problem with letting those of us who chose not to beta test, get a little note every now and then about what's happening? Not a lot to ask.
I have no problem with that, was just letting ya know the little I know!
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

TheGrayMouser wrote:I have no problem with that, was just letting ya know the little I know!
And I appreciate that Mouser. Definately not a case of shooting the messanger. I tend to regard your comments on these threads with a high degree of respect. I know that most of us are very excited about the rewrite. Kinda like kids in their beds on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa Clause to arrive.

BTW: Here's a picture of my GrayMouser (Smokey). Sadly, he is no longer with me and I miss him very much.
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Micha wrote:
Lysimachos wrote:At the moment the only game I know covering the related period is that of HPS Simulations called "Musket and Pike - Renaissance" but it is more complex to handle and definetively less intuitive than FoG.
Thats true, i have this game also and to by it was a huge misstake. A game withs strange, nerv -and funkilling rules.
I have had this game for years and I think its great... it certainly does not have the same combat system as FOG but not sure what nerve and funkilling rules you mean?
I dont think this is the rigth place to discuss HPS Games and maybe i did not chose the rigth words. First at all 49 US Dollar for 10 years old games is
unbelaevable. The game is extremely complex. Hps products are ok for military students but not for gamers. To many and to complicated rules and extremely
ugly graphic for a 49 Dollar game.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

balhh for some reason this forum wont let me quote:

@ Micha

yeah the graphics are, eh, "hard on the eyes:" allright :) However, normally I would say talking about other games is generally not good etiquette on a another developers sight BUt for a Pike and Shot game (ie FOG REN) Ill keep it up because I believe we see so FEW games of this genre is because developers (likly rightly) believe the markett isnt big enough to justify... So maybe if we keep up talking about REN game maybe they will make It someday!

@ Brigz
No worries man, If you find the time you should sign up for the beta, the more eyes on it the more bugs will be found sooner!
Smokey looked like a fine friend, I had a couple Corgis that we lost over the past few years (old age) and I still get a little choked up when i see photos of them or my daughters talk about em.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

A "Musket and Pike - Renaissance" -FOG Game would be great.
For the waiting time you can play the freewaregame "Field of strategie " which has a few good campaigns about this time.
Unfortunately the graphic is not good. If a Renaissance-FOG will finally not come i will do a Renaissance Mod for People General.
But this will happen a few years later becourse i have to many other Projects ( Zuluwar, War of 1812, French and indian war )
Aryaman
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Aryaman »

I played HP REN for a while since I am very much interested on the period but I found the game didn´t give a good feeling for the period, you could feel you were playing some Napoleonic battle equally. The artillery was greatly overpowered, especially that heavy guns, and the strict ZOC rules could give some lopsided, rather odd results.
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

I for one, much as I look forward to the digital FOG-A 2.0, will still beat the drum for a digital FOG-R! (And yes, a FOG-Napoleonic digital would be wonderful).

Part of the problem is that I know I'm a mental midget, and find many of the simulations at the edges to be be no-fun and virtually unplayable. I buy a $50 game, spend months climbing the learning curve, and tumble back downhill every time real life breaks my concentration. Or if I do almost learn it can't interest my old friends to try. Digital FOG, I think, is at a sweet spot.

Still looking for campaign games that easily feed into tactical and vice versa. I recall the chilling death of the of campaign game for Combat Mission 1. All I can do is keep lurking.

Down scope.
aka The Count dTen
"Quam stultus sed, quam fidelis"
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

A Fog napoleonic would be good but not so important from my fiew. For the napoleonic time you can find dozends of good games.
More important is the time between 1600 and 1800, but thats only my personal standpoint.
To see the battles of frederick the great in fog would be a dream.
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

Very good point about the availability of good Napoleonic games. Don't know of a good campaign = tactical interface between two different games though, especially for us old codger solitary gamer types.

"Hey you cuirassiers, get off my lawn!"
aka The Count dTen
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Any more news about the new version please?
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

Even a "Beat it, you bums. We're THINKING!" would be appreciated... :(

"... I'm not a dweeb.
I'm just a sucker with
no self-esteem." -- your typical fan in waiting
aka The Count dTen
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

It seems that ever since the beta testing began a "cone of silence" has been adopted by the re-write team. To all of us on the "outside" the re-write is a very good thing and we all greatly appreciate the work being done, at no cost, by some very generous people. We applaud everyone involved in this. But the big mystery is why the silence? I'm okay with the fact that this project is obviously taking a bit longer than planned. Problems and delays are to be expected and personally I think the project should take as long as it needs to be completed. But why the silence? It's not like we are the Villagers, holding torches and pitch-forks, ready to storm the doors of Dr. Frankenstein's castle. It would only take five or ten minutes to jot down a progress report to let us know what has been happening. So how about it, re-write team? Can you spare us a minute and give us a report so we can put out our torches, drop our pitch-forks and go home?
jimkoby
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jimkoby »

I dunno'. It took me a long time to sharpen these pitchforks....
aka The Count dTen
oldbear1962
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by oldbear1962 »

This may sound strange but I'd rather that they had announced say a £10 charge for the update. I'd willingly pay that to get the game improved and that way I'd feel like they were properly motivated to make this happen as I so want it to happen.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I can't find the post from Iain now but he did say it would be released in March. Whenever there is silence like this then it makes me wonder if they have encountered an unexpected problem. Of course, it could just be the case that the "re-launch" of FOG has to be fitted into the schedule of the other releases now that Slitherine, Matrix and Aegod have joined up together. There is the Buzz Aldrin game and Pandora that are not too far away from completion, I believe.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I copied this over into the beta forum for the power-that-be's to see in case he hadn't been browsing in here.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

I follow the disscussion for 1 year but my point of view is different.
Fog was great like it was, why a new version? Instead wasting time for a new version it would be done better to work on new expansions like
Rennaissance or Wars between 1600 and 1700.
Sorry, my personally standpoint.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Micha wrote:I follow the disscussion for 1 year but my point of view is different.
Fog was great like it was, why a new version? Instead wasting time for a new version it would be done better to work on new expansions like
Rennaissance or Wars between 1600 and 1700.
Sorry, my personally standpoint.
Why the new version? I think it was really because HexWar pulled out and there were still a number of expansions to release "Wolves From the Sea", "Oath of Fealty" etc. So if the PC game was to have any future it needed a new developer. Then it was decided by Slitherine/NeuroSoft to use a more modern code which would subsequently allow further development and eventually FOG 2.0. So, partly it was forced on Slitherine, and partly I think it was an encouraging decision by them to give the game a new lease of life. One of the possibilities the new code will give us all is to have a FOG Renaissance at some stage too - without the new code there would be no possibility of a FOG Renaissance for the PC.

The big question about it though is whether FOG Renaissance would really sell enough for Slitherine to do it - and, of course, the recession is really hitting hard now across Europe. I would like to think that eventually it will happen although a Napoleonic game might be what comes next (because that will definitely sell).
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Thank you for info, Pete.
Its sad that Money is always the Problem. There are thousands of ww2 games, and many about American civil war and Napoleon because this games brings the most money.
But there are so many interesting Wars in 1600. Or in 1800 like the Zuluwar or the Prussian wars, or the French invasion in Mexico.
But commerziell Gamecompanies does almost nothing to cover this Timeperiods. Glad we have a few hobbydevelopers in the roundbased scene
for whom money is not the 1 and only thing which counts.
Sorry for my poor english.
Last edited by Micha63 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”