Elephants and Commanders

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Elephants and Commanders

Post by mbsparta »

Can a Commander not mounted on an elephant "command" an elephant BG?
I am having a V2 brain-fart ...
Specifically, can a commander depicted as mounted on a horse rally a broken elephant BG?
I seem to remember a V2 rule that only commanders mounted on elephants can "command" elephant BGs? Can't find it in the V2 book ....

Lost in old age
Mike B
zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Elephants and Commanders

Post by zoltan »

mbsparta wrote:Can a Commander not mounted on an elephant "command" an elephant BG?
Specifically, can a commander depicted as mounted on a horse rally a broken elephant BG?
I seem to remember a V2 rule that only commanders mounted on elephants can "command" elephant BGs? Can't find it in the V2 book ....

Lost in old age
Mike B
V2 4-3. Only commanders depicted on elephants can affect quality re-rolls of elephants.
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

zoltan wrote:
mbsparta wrote:Can a Commander not mounted on an elephant "command" an elephant BG?

Lost in old age
Mike B
V2 4-3. Only commanders depicted on elephants can affect quality re-rolls of elephants.
So ONLY quality re-rolls... although I do find it rather humorous that a general on an elephant can bring a BG of Cataphracts back from disorder. 'Now now geegee's nice straight lines on me' :)
Vespasian28
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Vespasian28 »

Equally humorous are all those foot commanders, especially the one' s in armour, legging it after that routing body of horse.

I suppose the elephant mounted commander could be shouting polite words of "encouragement" via a megaphone to his equine comrades to rally them whereas actually being involved in the melee will cause a real issue.
That said it's a rule that doesn't really bother me as despite owning a Classical Indian army I'm not daft enough to attach a general to an elephant Bg anyway.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Well the commanders are not always literal they represent some command and control capabilities.
Mehrunes
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Mehrunes »

Can I model commanders on elephants even if it is not proposed in the army lists?

At least it states "should depicted", not "must depicted". And I'm getting downsides, too (can't affect mounted BGs AFAIR).
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

No you should not mount commanders on elephants unless specifically allowed.

If you do you must play them as if they are not mounted on elephants.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Mehrunes wrote:Can I model commanders on elephants even if it is not proposed in the army lists?

At least it states "should depicted", not "must depicted". And I'm getting downsides, too (can't affect mounted BGs AFAIR).
Yes you can, but then they will neither be able to affect mounted re-rolls NOR elephant re-rolls, so that is not a very cunning plan. Read what it actually says on P.4-3. (Not sure which page that is in printed version)
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

P24.

Return to “Rules Questions”