Allied: Market-Garden

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Allied: Market-Garden

Post by uran21 »

Please post here your comments about this scenario.
Balois
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Allied: Market-Garden

Post by Balois »

Well, after mistakenly playing as the Axis player and thinking the scenario was broke, I played scenario again as the Allied player. :)

Colonel Level
Starting Prestige 10500
Ending Prestige 2817

I found the scenario to be very easy at the Col level. I took all bridges and was able to hold them. On turn two I found an Axis armored formation to the west of the second bridge but they did not begin attacking until turn 3 and then only 1 unit. There were 8-10 units but I turned my armor west and quickly eliminated the axis force. Not sure if there is a trigger to start the AI response but in my experience the AI was too slow to react. I wondered why the allied player was given so many prestige points and perhaps it is because a +1 to the paratroop forces cost 324 prestige points.

The allied air force was extremly potent and the Luftwaffe did not really show itself until late in the scenario and in too small of numbers to have any impact.

The scenario at the COL does not provide the tension that one would expect given the need to keep moving to secure the next bridge. Perhaps the higher levels do so.
omegabet
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by omegabet »

This was pretty easy. I got all the extra reinforcements behind the last bridge and took slowly one after another.
wstones
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by wstones »

At the end of Market Garden, turn 21 of 21, I was able to select either to go to Bulg or V Rockets. After selecting Bulg, the game was non-active, locked up. Tried go in and out. Same problem occurred.

So far the game is pretty good.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

Hello wstones, apparently Market Garden is the last playable scenario for this first beta:
Allied Corps beta 1 includes the whole new Allied Corps campaign, and most of it is playable. You can proceed from the first mission and up to Market Garden (which is the 24th mission in the campaign). The remaining 6 missions after Market Garden are not finished yet, and are not playable. If you reach Market Garden before the release of beta 2, please save your game and do not finish the scenario. Also, all scenarios from Allied Campaign can be played standalone, using Scenario tab.
From here:viewtopic.php?f=148&t=42288#p398741
wstones

Post by wstones »

Thanks, did not know that. Then all is well.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Colonel level
Upgrades: M18 to M36
Purchases: none

Very enjoyable mission. Liked the german counterattacks along the flanks. Bombers were assigned to take out the armoured units. Paratroopers were well dug-in on city hexes and were usually succesful in repulsing attacks. SE panzers did not dare to attack defenders of Arnhem.

Losses: some auxiliaries, DV 21/21, 1413PP
Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kamerer »

21) Market Garden – beta 1

Level: Field Marshal
Prestige: Begin: 0 (after repair/purchases). End: 900. Net: +900.
Result: Triumph at 16/16
Strength policy: Deployed all at 13

Core Changes:
  • Received: None
    Disbanded: None
    Purchased: 1x US Bridge engineering infantry
    Upgraded: 2x Churchills to Challengers

Problems:
  • • None noted.

General impressions/comments:

• • I was curious how this scenario would play out and be structured. I think it works fairly well.
    • There are enough twists and attempts to cut the road to keep you working a bit. I never felt in particular doubt, but it was a good scenario. Another turn or two I could have cleared the map, which would have been fun.
Last edited by Kamerer on Fri May 10, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
dthomas561
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by dthomas561 »

Very enjoyable...however I wish the Germans were more aggressive in the counter attack especially at Arnhem as they did in real life.
RobertCL
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by RobertCL »

Beta 2
Leutnant level
Standalone scenario
Allied side

Excellent scenario, I just lose one bridge at the very last turn due to German counterattack.
Scenario is easy, exactly what I expected from this level.

Great job (but please put movement sound to calliope and normal rocket attack sound)
Last edited by RobertCL on Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamerer

Post by Kamerer »

Oops, forgot to post this the other day:

12) Market Garden – beta 2

Level: Rommel
Begin pp: 0. End pp: 800. Net +800.
Result: Triumph 16/16

Core Changes:
  • Received: None.
    Disbanded: None.
    Purchased:
    • 1x Jackson TD
      1x US bridge engineer infantry
    Upgraded: 1x Spitfire IX to Meteor

Problems:
  • • Not exactly a problem, but would be nice to have the negative prestige counter back, it would have come in handy here during deployment.
General Impressions/Comments:
  • • No new comments; good scenario.
produit
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by produit »

Beta 2, Triumph 16/16, FM, Chess mode, ending prestige 1490.

Reading the new rules concerning prestige, I stopped to max OS my units, going only to 11 strength. I also tried to make enemies surrender to earn prestige. In the end, it is quite a nice way to get a lot of prestige... I also bought another strat bomber, they are really useful, more than artillery, on my point of view.

Concerning the map itself, it is quite straightforward. I captured all cities and destroyed the last enemy units during the last turn. No real surprise. I never felt in danger by enemy counter attacks. With a reduced exp, the enemy is really less dangerous. They will not attack units like M36 Jackson head-on. The strategy to attack AA with my tanks, then bomb the heavy German tanks with strat bomber, attack them with an aux unit for the last ammo point and then finished them with my own tanks is working well. Concerning air battle, Meteor easily rule the sky.

A strange point for this map is that I bought a bridge engineer just for this map to go across the first river. I would perhaps put an aux unit instead, to remove the need to buy a bridge engineer just for one scenario.
sgocart6298
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Allied: Market-Garden (Errata)

Post by sgocart6298 »

Opening Communique:

1) "...Market Garden is a plan (is) to speed up our advance...."

Remove (is)

2) "...relieve the airborne from (to) bridge to bridge...."

"...relieve the airborne from bridge-to-bridge..." remove (to) and place hyphens (-)

3) "...If successful this operation...."

"...If successful, this operation...." insert comma for pause (,).
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

Scenario: Market Garden (Beta 3)
Difficulty: general
Outcome: Triumph on turn 16/16
Starting Prestige: 4720
End Prestige: 2708, 6664 after victory reward
Core: 2 x Engineer 43, 2 x HW infantry 43, 1 x SE SAS, 6 x Churchill Mk.IV, 1 x Sherman Firefly, 1 x Crocodile, 2 x Challenger, 3 x 7.2 inch guns, 2 x M7 priest, 2 x M12 GMC, 1 x Calliope, 2 x SE Meteor, 2 x P-47D Thunderbolt, 1 x Beaufighter Mk.IF, 1 x Wellington Mk.X, 1 x Mosquito Mk.VIS2, 1 x B17G Flying Fortress

Bought at the begin two Challenger tanks to replace the lost Hellcats and a Calliope.

At the start i dropped the paratroopers where they was pre-placed, took the bridges and dug in. My troops moved over the river and engaged the big german armor group standing there around. Watching back i used way to many troops there so it slowed down my movement north so my troops got intercepted on the move by german counterattacks and all i managed to move to the last bridge was a single churchill tank. Thankfully the counterattack at the last bridge happened so late my little defense there managed to hold the line .. barely.

The scenario seems to be well balanced for the first play through. It is possible to get a Triumph it but it stays close until the end. On later attempts, with the knowledge what happens where and when, i guess the mission will be a bit on the easy side but personally i like it rather that way. Missions you have to play multiple times to get a chance for a Triumph seems a bit cheesy imho.

P.S: I wonder why is no one adding any replays. Firstly it gives the devs the possibility to see possible problems and secondly i would love to see how some people solved the scenario and compare it with my apporach.
Attachments
(17.05.2013) Market Garden, Turn 16.zip
Market Garden Beta 3 replay
(66.09 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
okiemcguire
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by okiemcguire »

Tarrak wrote:Scenario: Market Garden (Beta 3)
P.S: I wonder why is no one adding any replays. Firstly it gives the devs the possibility to see possible problems and secondly i would love to see how some people solved the scenario and compare it with my apporach.
Hey Tarrak not only am I adding my replays but I been reviewing yours. Your replays lets me know what to expect. I know, I should go for it first and then review. :oops: But, I love to win. :twisted:
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

Market Garden

Market-GardenA.pzbrf
"Market-Garden is a plan is to speed up our advance"
Market-Garden is a plan to speed up our advance

"relieve the airborne from to bridge to bridge before the enemy can successfully counterattack"
relieve the airborne, going from to bridge to bridge, before the enemy can successfully counterattack

IDS_SCEN_DESCRIPTION still empty? A suggestion:
The Allies must advance quickly to support a large airborne assault trying to capture vital bridges.

IDS_STRING30 Ijssel River = IJssel River

IDS_STRING48 Deume = Deurne

IDS_STRING50 S-Hertogenbosch = ‘s-Hertogenbosch
okiemcguire

Post by okiemcguire »

20) Market-Garden - Beta 3

Level: Colonel
Prestige Begin: 5025 End/Vict: 296/4203
Results: Triumph 16/16

Purchased: 1 M4A3(105) Artillery and Bridge Engineer
Upgraded: Hellcat and Wolverine to M36 Jackson(s)

Core Inf: 2 SE Rangers, Ranger, 2 HW inf, and Bridge Engineer
Armor: 6 Churchill IV, 1 Crocodile, 2 M4A3(76)W, 2 M36 Jackson
Artillery: 2 M7 Priest, 2 BL 7.2 inch, 2 155mm M12 GMC, 1 M4A3(105)
Air: 1 Hurricane IIC, 1 Tempest V, 2 SE Spitfire, 2 Mosquito VI S2, 1 Lancaster, and 1 B-24 Liberator

Problems: I did not observe any issues

Scenario: Used bridge engineer to assist in a quick deploment from staging area. Also, used the engineers to ford river w of Eindhoven. There Force West made contact and destroyed the armor, AA, and Artillery. Then part of Force West crossed the river just east of s-Hertsgenbosch. 2 Churchills supported by a M7 Priest approached s-Hertsgenbosh from the SW and took the Airfield just west of that city. Force West destroyed the AT at the city, moved North to finish armor around and then take Oss. Their duty was then to come East and support and defend Veghel and Grave.

Force North drove up the road from Eindhoven to support and hold the Maas-Wall Canel and Nijmegen. Took Airfield SE of Nijmegan.

A small force of 1 Churchill IV, M36 Jackson, 1 M4A3(105) and 1 155mm M12 GMC continued North to relieve, support, and hold Arnhem (JUST IN TIME).

On to the V Sites
Attachments
(18.05.2013) Market Garden, Turn 16.zip
(79.11 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by monkspider »

Market-Garden
General level
DV 16/16
Ending Prestige 1905

This was a great scenario, and one of my favorites of the campaign. One thing I will say, it seems like since D-Day, prestige has been a bit stingy. It could probably stand to be slightly increased. This was a fun scenario, I managed to do better than I normally would since I discovered a lot of the enemy staging grounds and was able to weaken them with my air force. The only thing I would suggest is making the counterattack toward Arnhem a bit stronger, to make it feel like you really have to race up there to get to them in time. Maybe have a Panzer IV and Panther attack them at various points earlier on.
Attachments
Market-Garden beta 3 monkspider.zip
(68.04 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Flaygor
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Flaygor »

Tarrak wrote: Missions you have to play multiple times to get a chance for a Triumph seems a bit cheesy imho.
Couldn't agree more. I've been stating this like a broken record the whole way through, especially when I'm grumpy because my prestige just got hammered :shock:
I gained a triumph at first go on Colonel and found this a very playable scenario, now if I want to play harder I can up the level next time.

Not sure if having to spend 450 points to increase a recon by ONE point is very helpful, I see others noted this for paras at around 350 a point. Is this a mistake or just to make it tougher?

I did have an issue where I placed my bridge laying tank NEXT to the Zuid-Willems Canal and then found I could send a tank over it AND the canal into s-Hertogenbosch! Not sure if it was the bridge layer malfunctioning or a river tile as I only realised after the move. I agree with others that I would prefer a more realistic earlier attack on Arnhem, and maybe have to blast my way in, or use engineers to bypass the approach, to get the last bridge.
However, I thought the string of counters along the route, although quite delayed, did make me more circumspect about rushing my main force ahead and leaving already captured bridges exposed. I really liked that particular challenge.
Also found that the M36 Jacksons could punch a nice hole in a Panther, now where are those E8's please?
uran21

Post by uran21 »

Thanks to all for the feedback so far. No major changes were made in this scenario except auxiliary bridgelayer was placed on the map near deployment zones.
Paratroopers (and other airborne auxiliaries) are set to have maximum strength of 1 while their predefined strength is normal. So how they lose strength points you cannot replace the losses. If they gain experience star you can give them elite replacements under the price for overstrength. Idea was to make forces at Arnhem busy with several smaller attacks that drain strength and one major one at the end of scenario when some help should arrive already.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”