Armageddon invasion starts in 2014

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Philkian
Slitherine
Slitherine

Armageddon invasion starts in 2014

Post by Philkian »

Slitherine and Games Workshop® are pleased to announce Warhammer®40,000®: Armageddon™.

Having announced an exciting partnership with Games Workshop a few weeks ago, Slitherine are delighted to release further details. Slitherine have acquired the exclusive rights to Games Workshop’s “Battle for Armageddon” setting in order to create a series of amazing multiplatform, turn-based, hex-based games. Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon will make full use of Slitherine's expertise in creating compelling and challenging strategy gaming experiences. The initial game is set during the Second War of Armageddon and players will lead the Imperial forces of the Armageddon Steel Legion and Space Marines®from the Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders Chapters against Ghazghkull Thraka’s massive Ork Waaagh! invasion through over 30 scenarios, on the hostile terrain of the planet and its gigantic Hive Cities.

"It is very exciting to see a game like this come alive - I just can't wait to play it!", said Iain McNeil, Development Director of the Slitherine Group. "It's been almost 15 years since a turn-based strategy game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe has been released and we think it is now time to deliver that experience to all fans around the world".

“The Battle for Armageddon is a classic event in the lore of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, having been detailed in games, models and novels over the past 20 years.” said Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing at Games Workshop. “Slitherine's masterful use of their classic digital wargame style applied to this seminal setting will delight fans of both.”

The game is currently in development for PC and iOS and will release in the first quarter of 2014.

Main features of the game include:

The game portrays the Second War for Armageddon™ in great detail, from the initial Ork landings to the final liberation of the planet;
It contains a large branching campaign with 30 major scenarios, plus additional 5 tutorial scenarios that explore the story in detail;
A complex plot, which can develop during a mission, right in the middle of battle, creating an engaging story line with unexpected twists;
Players lead Imperial troops of the Armageddon™ Steel Legion, with supporting assets from a number of Space Marine chapters against the ferocious Orks;
Fight alongside Commissar Yarrik and Commander Dante against the cunning Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka;
Carry over battle-hardened veterans from scenario to scenario, using their experience and upgrading their equipment;
Detailed combat model with terrain, weather and morale effects;
Extensive modding options delivered through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor.

Some numbers:

Over 35 scenarios;
Over 100 unit types, with unique roles, stats and special abilities;
20 different units stats;
A separate set of maps are designed and balanced specifically for multiplayer via Slitherine's PBEM++ system.

4p0int
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Armageddon invasion starts in 2014

Post by 4p0int »

The Emperor Protects!
Grimnirsson
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Grimnirsson »

WAAAGH! Great news but I want Space Marines, don't forget that! ;)

News shared :)
VitaminK
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by VitaminK »

Thank you for bringing this to us!
Vandrael
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Vandrael »

Absolutely fantastic news! I couldn't help but retrieve my Codex: Armageddon I always loved the Armageddon Steel Legion models.
euramer

Post by euramer »

Fantastic I am feeling at least 15 years younger! I will wait for the results in 2014...
produit
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by produit »

I am eager to see if the game would be as good as we want it to be...
Dragoon.
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Dragoon. »

I would love to see some artwork. Get an impression how the game will be. From reading of this text
Carry over battle-hardened veterans from scenario to scenario, using their experience and upgrading their equipment;
Detailed combat model with terrain, weather and morale effects;
Extensive modding options delivered through a powerful and easy-to-use game editor.
it sound as the game will use the Panzer Corps engine. I'm especially interested how the deep the combat follows the tabletop, how detailed the unit models will be and hoping W40K get the awe inspiring tune it deserves.
Stygian_Mole

Post by Stygian_Mole »

My two best friends are Blood Angel and Salamander fanatics (They're going to go off at this announcement!)

Now, give me my Wolves :D

Truly, The Emperor Protects!
BigKid01

Post by BigKid01 »

If my memory serves me correctly it was the mighty Black Templars that battled the first Orc invasion of Armageddon. Not sure if the game covers this timeline though.
Warhangel
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Warhangel »

In dedicato Imperatum ultra articulo mortis...
:)
In dedicato Imperatum ultra articulo mortis...
funkybax

Post by funkybax »

I'm an old 40k player and I've played the Armageddon campaign and many times the Jervis Johnson boardgame classic "battle for Armageddon"

these are wonderful news

if you need some testers I'm here

a question, what the game scale ? Platoon, squads, single men ? Wonderful anyway

:D
funkybax

Post by funkybax »

BigKid01 wrote:If my memory serves me correctly it was the mighty Black Templars that battled the first Orc invasion of Armageddon. Not sure if the game covers this timeline though.
not, Black Templars (I'm one of them) will come for the third war... sic :(

the first war was against the Chaos
funkybax

Post by funkybax »

Stygian_Mole wrote:My two best friends are Blood Angel and Salamander fanatics (They're going to go off at this announcement!)

Now, give me my Wolves :D

Truly, The Emperor Protects!
the Wolves were in the first war
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The first game is set during the 2nd War for Armageddon and has Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders. That's not to say there wont be more later ;)
razzafazza

Post by razzafazza »

how long until we can glimpse on first screenshots ? i m really getting a panzer corps vibe (which for me is a great thing) from the press text and hope the screenshots confirm that ;)
Crazer

Post by Crazer »

IainMcNeil wrote:The first game is set during the 2nd War for Armageddon and has Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders. That's not to say there wont be more later ;)
Any insight on what's going to be the scale of the game? Units? Squads? Characters? Any info on the engine used? 2d/3d? An engine alredy used in a different game (PzC?)?
Teamon

Post by Teamon »

I have registered here just to say:
IT'S! FREAKING! AWESOME!
sshnuke

Post by sshnuke »

Love this game very much
Eager to play this game
sshnuke

Post by sshnuke »

Crazer wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:The first game is set during the 2nd War for Armageddon and has Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Salamanders. That's not to say there wont be more later ;)
Any insight on what's going to be the scale of the game? Units? Squads? Characters? Any info on the engine used? 2d/3d? An engine alredy used in a different game (PzC?)?
I think you should be waiting for more details revealed

Return to “News & Announcements”