Unit Badges

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

asuser
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Unit Badges

Post by asuser »

Hello to all forum members,

like guille1434 told in his thread, we have a common mod project. One of some interesting questions and themes we discussed is the use of unit badges.
Inspiration from the german roster of the campaign “Struggle …Russia” was the kick in, were SE units are to be seen with their special division marks. So it could be a good idea to give also "non SE / normal" units a “eyecatching” unit mark. The attached picture shows a Me410 from ZG26 (Wasp) and a german Marine Core (Anchor) unit.
Unit Batch Example.jpg
Unit Batch Example.jpg (30.42 KiB) Viewed 12364 times
The idea was, that the unit marks should only used by special, experienced and successful units. Maybe in a following version of PC it could be a new awards function: “For outstanding service this unit receives his own unit mark”…

Any references or questions are welcome… Are there further needs for those unit badges to other members?
Last edited by asuser on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Unit Batches

Post by Cataphract88 »

A very good idea to personalise units and add character. :D
Richard
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

Sounds like a great idea. I love the work with division specific units in "Struggle for Russia" Has anyone else tried a similar mod?
ScottyTr
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by ScottyTr »

Looks great. I think the idea only for special, experienced and successful units is the right concept for this.
Scotty
naturesheva
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by naturesheva »

Just some idea.

In a long campaign, we can set a few mini-scenarios. Only if the players achieved a DV in some very hard scenarios, they'll have the chance to enter these mini-scenarios. The mini-scenarios is not for battling , they are the only times the player can upgrade their units with batches.
So the modders can define the available time for the units with batches only in the periods when the mini-scenarios happen.
fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx »

naturesheva wrote:Just some idea.

In a long campaign, we can set a few mini-scenarios. Only if the players achieved a DV in some very hard scenarios, they'll have the chance to enter these mini-scenarios. The mini-scenarios is not for battling , they are the only times the player can upgrade their units with batches.
So the modders can define the available time for the units with batches only in the periods when the mini-scenarios happen.

Look at Ostfront.
We offer special units to the player. They coud placed on maps with triggers (DV-trigger) or are available from the beginning of the scenario.
These units are bonus units, BUT they have a valid-time-intervall outside of the campaign timeline. Why? because the bonus slots should NEVER be "filled up" between the scenarios - if the player lost such a unit. If the player lost one of these units, its gone and it never comes back.
And the upgrade is ONLY available DURING a scenario, not before and after. And the player could upgrade these units in a city.
Is not so easy for the modder to configure, but it works good for the players.
asuser

Re: Unit Badges

Post by asuser »

Hello to all forum members,

here is another example of a unit badge (KG XX):
Batch.png
Batch.png (81.94 KiB) Viewed 12102 times
Whats about the layout, has it the right...:

...Location?
...Size?
...Sharpness?,

or is there anything else to modify?

Feedback welcome.

Greetings from Germany!
Last edited by asuser on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

I don't want to play the smartass here, especially as i am not a native speaker and may be wrong, but aren't the things you talking about called badges not batches?
hs1611
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by hs1611 »

Tarrak wrote:I don't want to play the smartass here, especially as i am not a native speaker and may be wrong, but aren't the things you talking about called badges not batches?
"Badges" is correct. "Patches" works too.
asuser

Post by asuser »

Hello Tarrak,

...of course, Unit Badges is the theme.

Thank you and sorry about my mistake. :oops:

Greetings from Germany!
jaggy

Post by jaggy »

Very nice, asuser! Will the game player have a choice of which badge an S.E. unit gets?
asuser

Post by asuser »

Hello jaggy,

that would be great if you could choose the badge!

My first idea was that there are separate and only one to be awarded badges for infantry, tank, reconnaissance, artillery, anti-aircraft, fighters, bombers and possibly naval units. These badges are assigned randomly for the sake of simplicity. This could be done in the first step like the ceremony for medals. After a special kill count (or after receipt of the first empirical star?) the badge is placed separately on the unit frame (or it could be a new unit with the badge image loaded from the game). Unfortunately, I'm still not entirely clear on how this is implemented programmatically or with the editor. I'm playing with my scenarios so that I get a bonus unit with the unit insignia (defined in the eqp file and in the editor with the help of Zones/Areas) if my troops achieving an important target. That means, for example, for the victory in the first scenario you get the famous 1. Panzerdivision or/and 1.Jagdgeschwader (both with badges), for victory in the second scenario the 2. Panzerdivision...and so on. So the idea is’nt still quite ready... but I will stay tuned…and any help is welcome.

Greetings from Germany!
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

Well whatever its called I love them. When will they be available?
asuser

Post by asuser »

Hello to all,

actually there is someone who wants to have these units with badges :D , I'll be posting some of these units in random order. Before I begin, I have one last important question: Is the position of the badge ok? In the game the badge covers the national emblem (flag)! When I first placed the badge on the units I have tried different positions. Ultimately, the badge should be clearly visible, but also do not look too dominant in relation to the unit. Is this a problem for anyone, or is it not that bad? Otherwise it would be a shame if someone signs up (after 3 weeks or so) and says the idea is good but the badge covered the flag, so i have to make the whole work again :cry: ? What are your views?

Greetings from Germany!
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

Personally, I am ok with the position over the flag. I pretty much know who fights for whom anyway. I like the idea of being able to Identifying specific units more easily with the badges. Here's a question for you. Have you thought of creating groups of units specific to Corps and divisions? Like starting with Grossdeutschland Division and having specific infantry, artillery, panzer, and so available for purchase. That way you entire core units could be Kempf groupe, division or multi division specific. I think that would make the selection of your core much more interesting. The possibilities are endless. Then perhaps someone can design Division or Corps specific campaigns like some people did for in Panzer General 2. I loved those campaigns and with the PK engine it would be spectacular!

Greeting from America!
jaggy

Post by jaggy »

@asuser - No problem with the badge covering the flag. I think most Panzer Corps gamers are pretty familiar with the units, both Axis and Allies.

@cedonxp - Nice idea on specific Corp and Division units.
asuser

Post by asuser »

Hello to all,

as announced by me, I will now introduce some badged units in random order. First, a big thanks goes to the member "Chris10", who had first presented this idea at the mod "Struggle ... Russia". About division or corps structures I have not thought about, but could also be implemented. Ok, here we go:

The starting point was the search for new or special units for my first self-created campaign Sealion 1945 (England Invasion). The first are german Marine Core units 216 and 217, with friendly support from “Guille1434”:
MarineInf_216.png
MarineInf_216.png (34.58 KiB) Viewed 11799 times
MarineInf_217.png
MarineInf_217.png (32.67 KiB) Viewed 11799 times
Then a few air force units, such as the Fw 190 as a carrier for the bomb “Hagelkorn” with the badge of a fighter squadron:
Fw_190A8neu.png
Fw_190A8neu.png (29.93 KiB) Viewed 11799 times

Feedback and comments are welcome. To be continued ...

Greetings!
asuser

Post by asuser »

...Or the Fw 190 with the badge of the storm unit for use as a ram fighter plane:
FW_190Asturm.png
FW_190Asturm.png (32.57 KiB) Viewed 11799 times
And the Me410 already shown in Guille1434 thread with the destroyer squadron badge:
Me_410B2U4.png
Me_410B2U4.png (41.58 KiB) Viewed 11799 times
Finally, a possible new badge for troops taking part in the campaign of Sealion 1945. The badge is primarily intended as award after a certain kill count and is named “England Shield” in XL size:
England.PNG
England.PNG (87.46 KiB) Viewed 11799 times

Feedback and comments are welcome. To be continued ...

Greetings!
cedonxp
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by cedonxp »

I really really like this. These badges give you a sense of individuality and personality. The placement of the badges is about what I thought before, perfect to me. Keep them coming.
fsx
Warhammer Moderator
Warhammer Moderator

Post by fsx »

Nice work!

Why do you dont use the badge at the 3th line of unit.png?
It is the line used to show the unit if another unit is on the same hex.
Example: Fighter (3th line in png) over a tank (2nd line in unit.png) and the "airview" is toggled on.
If the 3th line is missed, the program uses the first.
Example: Your marine_Inf (no 3rd line --> 1st line) under a fighter (2nd line) with "groundview" would have his badge.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”