Medieval Welsh and Scottish.

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Medieval Welsh and Scottish.

Post by Quintus »

Can anyone give me their assessment of the effectiveness of the Medieval Welsh Army, in particular their spearmen?

Is it a case of they make great auxiliaries but weak as an army in themselves or can they be a force to be reckoned with on their own account? Is there fun to be had with a Welsh Army?

The Scottish Common Army interest me too. There is quite a commitment to painting lots of figures for a shieldwall/phalanx so it would be nice to know whether or not this army is a bit "one dimensional" (and thus battles being a bit stereotyped) even with Highland and French allies?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Medieval Welsh and Scottish.

Post by rbodleyscott »

Quintus wrote:Can anyone give me their assessment of the effectiveness of the Medieval Welsh Army, in particular their spearmen?
The spearmen are weak but numerous. The army as a whole (if you are referring to the Owain Glyndwr revolt army) can be surprisingly effective if you can bring its numbers to bear.
Is there fun to be had with a Welsh Army?
Certainly, but it is not an army for beginners.
The Scottish Common Army interest me too. There is quite a commitment to painting lots of figures for a shieldwall/phalanx so it would be nice to know whether or not this army is a bit "one dimensional" (and thus battles being a bit stereotyped) even with Highland and French allies?
It is certainly a bit one dimensional, but quite effective. It depends what floats your boat I guess.
Quintus

Post by Quintus »

A prompt reply, and from the rule-writer himself. :)

Many thanks.
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

Having recently used the Medieval Scots 8) army at Burton it is fairly one dimensional - a lack of any light troops can be an issue. But overall it is a fairly interesting army to use.

I Initially thought the army would be fairly boring - spearwall, march forward, repeat... but since normally you have to be fairly reactive, then you are always attempting to re-deploy the half of your army which your opponent doesn't attack (unless they attack along the line which is normally a bad move)

The Longbowmen add a bit of spice and you can always go for the Froggy allies which can add a bit of interest. It can be quite a challenge at 800 pts to use effectively, but it is possible.
neilhammond
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by neilhammond »

I've fought against 2 Medieval Scots in comps and lost both times (both armies went on to do well in the comp). However, I've now got a feel for their vulnerabilities and have anti-Medieval Scots strategies worked out.

Of course, these stategems may prove to be completely ineffective...
Quintus

Post by Quintus »

Choosing armies is such a pain and such a pleasure. Quite often you really like an army even though you know they aren't all that brilliant. :)
list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker »

For what its worth, I think its is pretty good in period. The medium foot spearmen give you an advantage in terrain. I've found MF Off Spear suprisingly good (while they are winning!)

Big groups (10's), with support with a IC (Glyndwr ?) floating around. Your opponent will have to attrit you to death.

Just don't expect to resist a Knightly charge for long!
Quintus

Post by Quintus »

Will the list for the earlier Medieval Welsh differ very much from the Later Medieval one? (It would be nice to have figures that would do for both.)

What Companion Book can we expect it to appear in?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Quintus wrote:Will the list for the earlier Medieval Welsh differ very much from the Later Medieval one?
I expect so.
What Companion Book can we expect it to appear in?
Feudal Europe.

There is also an Early Welsh list in the Drak Age book.
list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker »

Drak Age book.
fighting the ISA I hope?
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

The later medieval Welsh army is essentially a border marcher army rather than a development of the older Welsh armies. There were no Welsh armies for about 100 years prior to the revolt of Owain Glyndwr.

In DBM a single Welsh list is stretched to cover a very long time period and at the later end of the period I feel the old DBM list is just wrong in so many ways. The late DBM Welsh list is a good list from a game point of view but rather poor in terms of history. I hope the new look later Welsh list is more reasonable.

One of these days I will actually put the army on the table. I really should I suppose.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

hammy wrote: In DBM a single Welsh list is stretched to cover a very long time period and at the later end of the period I feel the old DBM list is just wrong in so many ways. The late DBM Welsh list is a good list from a game point of view but rather poor in terms of history. I hope the new look later Welsh list is more reasonable.
I noticed you got your fantasy Welsh into the FOG list!
:wink: :twisted:
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

hazelbark wrote:
hammy wrote: In DBM a single Welsh list is stretched to cover a very long time period and at the later end of the period I feel the old DBM list is just wrong in so many ways. The late DBM Welsh list is a good list from a game point of view but rather poor in terms of history. I hope the new look later Welsh list is more reasonable.
I had to write it to get it there :shock:

Seriously though the DBM list is trying to get an 11th or 12th century Welsh army and assume it didn't change significantly by the 15th. I would like to think the list in Storm of Arrows is a good stab at the forces available to Owain.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

hazelbark wrote:
As has been said before, the fantasy element of the DBM list is not the French allies. They really existed. (And would have fought too if Owain wasn't an Inert general. Oops, sorry, wrong rules).
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Yup, the fantasy element is the continued existance of differentiated South and North Welsh - or even the existance of both.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

rbodleyscott wrote: As has been said before, the fantasy element of the DBM list is not the French allies. They really existed. (And would have fought too if Owain wasn't an Inert general. Oops, sorry, wrong rules).
Wrong. The fantasy is we keep getting to call Hammy's Welsh the fantasy welsh, because he charges the red cape with certainty just as if you told the Greeks that Macedonians aren't....

:twisted: :D
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

hazelbark wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote: As has been said before, the fantasy element of the DBM list is not the French allies. They really existed. (And would have fought too if Owain wasn't an Inert general. Oops, sorry, wrong rules).
Wrong. The fantasy is we keep getting to call Hammy's Welsh the fantasy welsh, because he charges the red cape with certainty just as if you told the Greeks that Macedonians aren't....

:twisted: :D
Quite possibly :oops: I would be the first to admit there are issues with the DBM list and that I took advantage of them. I would like to think that the FoG Welsh list is far more plausible for an army of the revolt.

I have yet to try it on the table but that might change tomorrow :P

Return to “Army Design”