Impressions after Human, Elf Campaign & First Dwarf Battle

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars Moderators

Brentf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Impressions after Human, Elf Campaign & First Dwarf Battle

Post by Brentf »

OK, I've been able to get through the Human Campaign and the Elven one and am currently at the first Dwarven battle. A few more comments/impressions/suggestions and a few of the minor bugs I've found:

General Comments:

- I'd still really like a 'back' button for use during combat. I've repeatedly moved my ranged units to a position where I thought they could fire to find out that they were blocked for some reason. I understand the obstructions due to enemy unit and terrain, but it's not intuitive from the maps and there is no way to undo a move, even if you don't attack. Consequently, I frequently miss out on an attack from my ranged units and that can cause you to easily lose a battle.

- A 'save' option during combat would also be very helpful. Sometimes you need to exit the game and you lose all of your progress. It would also be nice to be able to undo a particularly bad turn without having to start the battle all over again.

- I still feel in general the game is too hard. I'm pretty experienced with strategy games and am losing a lot of battles as I learn the rules of this one. I tend to prefer to play a game through first on 'easy' while I learn the rules, then reply on 'average' if I've enjoyed the story and then finally on 'hard' if I'm looking for a challenge. Without the variable difficulty, my frustration with the game is pretty high and I feel like I'm really struggling.

- It would be very helpful to be able to mouse over a unit to see what spell effects are currently active on it. All you can see is the star that lets you know if something is in place, but not what it is. Offensive, defensive, movement, who knows???

- Entrenched units in castles/towns are just too hard to defeat. Archery just scratches them and my melee units just kill themselves trying to whittle them down. Siege can help, but is very slow. Regenerating, armored units in fortresses is just a bit silly to try and overcome.

- The story so far is pretty good, but seems a bit confusing. I get the general idea and hope it's good by the end, but so far it seems mainly complicated.

Human Campaign - I really didn't like how it ended. You finally win this massive battle to take the town back and then basically get wiped out. Your goal is to put down some units and try to last a turn? Not very fun.

Elf Campaign - Pretty good for the most part and reasonably balanced. But, I didn't like how it started with the two huge battles that you couldn't save after nor save & upgrade your units. I prefer the way the human campaign started small to give you a chance to learn the new units abilities before you get into huge battles.

Dwarf Campaign - Same complaint, not real happy with starting in a massive battle facing hordes of level 5 enemies. So far I'm stuck here after three tries and getting slaughtered even trying several different approaches. The enemy getting a level 5 unit reinforcement every turn is a little silly.

Bugs - So far not many. The worst has been a few corrupted games where I've won the battle, but can't advance as the 'play' button didn't work. I had to go back and reply the fight, not too fun after the hard work of getting a victory.

More posts if/when I can get past the start of the dwarf campaign.
FabioBelsanti
Age of Games
Age of Games

Re: Impressions after Human, Elf Campaign & First Dwarf Batt

Post by FabioBelsanti »

Brentf wrote:OK, I've been able to get through the Human Campaign and the Elven one and am currently at the first Dwarven battle. A few more comments/impressions/suggestions and a few of the minor bugs I've found:

General Comments:

- I'd still really like a 'back' button for use during combat. I've repeatedly moved my ranged units to a position where I thought they could fire to find out that they were blocked for some reason. I understand the obstructions due to enemy unit and terrain, but it's not intuitive from the maps and there is no way to undo a move, even if you don't attack. Consequently, I frequently miss out on an attack from my ranged units and that can cause you to easily lose a battle.

- A 'save' option during combat would also be very helpful. Sometimes you need to exit the game and you lose all of your progress. It would also be nice to be able to undo a particularly bad turn without having to start the battle all over again.

- I still feel in general the game is too hard. I'm pretty experienced with strategy games and am losing a lot of battles as I learn the rules of this one. I tend to prefer to play a game through first on 'easy' while I learn the rules, then reply on 'average' if I've enjoyed the story and then finally on 'hard' if I'm looking for a challenge. Without the variable difficulty, my frustration with the game is pretty high and I feel like I'm really struggling.

- It would be very helpful to be able to mouse over a unit to see what spell effects are currently active on it. All you can see is the star that lets you know if something is in place, but not what it is. Offensive, defensive, movement, who knows???

- Entrenched units in castles/towns are just too hard to defeat. Archery just scratches them and my melee units just kill themselves trying to whittle them down. Siege can help, but is very slow. Regenerating, armored units in fortresses is just a bit silly to try and overcome.

- The story so far is pretty good, but seems a bit confusing. I get the general idea and hope it's good by the end, but so far it seems mainly complicated.

Human Campaign - I really didn't like how it ended. You finally win this massive battle to take the town back and then basically get wiped out. Your goal is to put down some units and try to last a turn? Not very fun.

Elf Campaign - Pretty good for the most part and reasonably balanced. But, I didn't like how it started with the two huge battles that you couldn't save after nor save & upgrade your units. I prefer the way the human campaign started small to give you a chance to learn the new units abilities before you get into huge battles.

Dwarf Campaign - Same complaint, not real happy with starting in a massive battle facing hordes of level 5 enemies. So far I'm stuck here after three tries and getting slaughtered even trying several different approaches. The enemy getting a level 5 unit reinforcement every turn is a little silly.

Bugs - So far not many. The worst has been a few corrupted games where I've won the battle, but can't advance as the 'play' button didn't work. I had to go back and reply the fight, not too fun after the hard work of getting a victory.

More posts if/when I can get past the start of the dwarf campaign.
Hi

In the first battle of Dwarf Campaign you have simply to reach the Portal with Dhurin and resist with the other guys :D

Good Luck Kommander.

Return to “Fantasy Kommander – Eukarion Wars”