Field of Glory 2.0.4 reader available!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Field of Glory 2.0.4 reader available!

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys

we're pleased we are finally able to get this out! We know it has taken far longer than it should and nobody is more frustrated by this than us but it is finally here! It includes a variety of new features but the most important thing is it all 12 missing army books so now has the complete series of Ancient & Medieval army books all in one package.

- Download the iPad version for the app store
- Download the PC version here - http://www.slitherine.com/files/fog/rea ... v2.0.4.msi
- Download the Mac version here - http://www.slitherine.com/files/fog/rea ... v2.0.4.dmg

The iPad version includes a host of new features:
-All 13 Army Companions are now available including some which are out of print!
-New Search functionality
-New Bookmarks functionality
-New Notes functionality
-New Page History backward/forward
-Download improvements
-Various bug fixes and optimization

The PC & Mac versions include:
-All 13 Army Companions are now available including some which are out of print!
-Download improvements
-Various bug fixes and optimization

All 13 army books now available as In App Purchases. Some of these are out of print and only available digitally:
-Rise of Rome - $9.99 (Out of print - only available digitally)
-Storm of Arrows - $9.99 (Out of print - only available digitally)
-Immortal Fire - $9.99 (Out of print - only available digitally)
-Swords and Scimitars - $9.99
-Legions Triumphant - $9.99
-Eternal Empire - $9.99
-Decline and Fall - $9.99
-Wolves From the Sea - $9.99 (Out of print - only available digitally)
-Swifter than Eagles - $9.99
-Oath of Fealty - $9.99
-Empires of the Dragon - $9.99
-Blood and Gold - $9.99
-Lost Scrolls - $9.99

Please note you must update to 2.0.4 or later be able to view the new army books and need to update your version of the main rule book and rise of Rome as the new reader uses an updated file format to enable the new functionality.
mdruiz
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Field of Glory 2.0.4 reader available!

Post by mdruiz »

Wow. Now my reader isn't working at all. I'll post a complete description in the tech support forum, but basically, I have an iPad Air and now I'm getting just a blank page in both the rule book and Rise of Rome.

Not good.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you are having problems. Have you updated the app and the books? You need to download the new version of the main Rulebook and Rise of Rome as the new improved reader has a modified format.

It sounds like you have updated the app but not downloaded the new versions of the content.
mdruiz

Post by mdruiz »

It's working now. As I explained in the tech forum, I thought the reader had updated, but it hadn't. :oops:

Thanks for the quick responses. The new version looks fantastic.
Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jhykronos »

Apparently the typo in the shooting POA table hasn't been corrected yet.
Bluesquill
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Bluesquill »

Ive downloaded the new reader for the Ipad with no problems. However the update for the actual Mac is a shambles. At first it just showed a blank page. I did it all over again and now get an error message saying that it can't be opened because its from an unidentified developer. No amount of shouting and screaming at the machine appears to make it change its mind. Any ideas?

I got the thing to actually load (maybe the computer does hear me after all?) but once loaded Im just getting grey pages with the cover flow stuff at the top. I can get into cover flow but it won't open anything if you choose a page. Ill keep trying but Id welcome any advice.
HerbertJ

Post by HerbertJ »

I have downloaded it to my Surface Pro 2 with Windows 8.1. When I start it, it starts at the Desktop, which is okay but after that it freezes. I can click whereever I want, nothing happens. I can't even Close it.

I appreciate any help
Thank you
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry if you are having problems. Make sure you have updated the content as well as the reader. What version number do you see on the main menu?
HerbertJ

Post by HerbertJ »

I am not able to update the Content. It is a new Installation and I can't download the Content because it freezes at the Initial Screen.
There is no Version number, because I can't get to the main Screen.

Thank you
Jhykronos

Post by Jhykronos »

Hey, is there somewhere I can go to get all the army lists in the same shopping cart without having to type in my credit card number for 13 different transactions? Your web store page for the digital army lists only lists Rise of Rome, and linking through the app only lets you buy one book at a time, which is a bit user unfriendly.
Last edited by Jhykronos on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neidhart

Post by Neidhart »

Hi, I have questions about the reader and I would be great if you could help me.

Where can I buy the army books? When I open the app I see nothing, looks like this:
FOG.jpeg
FOG.jpeg (92.92 KiB) Viewed 16711 times
I opened it two times to show both views I have, when I click on "Store" it just opens the browser.

Do I get a code when I purchase a digital book which I have to enter under "Register"? I was never asked to lock into an account or anything else so this option seems unlikely.
So far I have not bought any digital books and only have an old FoG v1 rule book and two army books. Would it be possible to add my books into the reader later on?
Do I get the digital FoG rules too when I buy the book or do I need to get both if I want a physical and digital edition?

I'm running the reader via Wine on Ubuntu, which seems to work fine, but maybe that is what is causing the problems.

Cheers
Martin
808RY

Post by 808RY »

The new ipad reader looks like a great improvement.
BUT, every time I go to a new page it is out of focus and takes about a second to come into focus. At present it is pretty much unusable. I have this problem with an iPad mini. I will try it on a later version ipad when I get home but I assume it's software.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

For anyone having problems please make sure you have installed the latest update. If it does not work, please uninstall the version you have and re-install the latest. We don't support Linux unfortunately so I have no idea what might be the problem there but try reinstalling and downloading the content again and see if it helps.

The new iPad version has a new way of turning pages. It uses a low quality preview which lets you navigate to the page you want and then loads it. When it starts loading there is a delay, but if you continue to flick through the pages it will start to resolve. Does that help?

We can set it up to offer all the army books at one time on PC/Mac, but the In App purchase process on iPad is out of our control.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

When you add any army book to the cart (PC?Mac) you are now offered the other 13 books so you can grab as many as you want at one time which makes it a bit easier to use!
808RY

Post by 808RY »

The ipad problem of lag to load the page is just as bad on an ipad 3. What a shame it was nearly there. I read manuals and magazines on my ipad all the time with no problem. Can't understand why the rules can't be on an modern reader.
Neidhart

Post by Neidhart »

Hi, thank you for your reply. It looks like the problem is that I don't have an Internet connection.
I just bought the FoG v2 digital rules and tested it on a Windows PC, works perfectly.
Maybe I try to get an internet connection for the app in Wine or try to copy the downloaded rule book files from the Windows PC into the folder on my Ubuntu laptop.

*edit: It's working, somehow. I guess for full accessibility I have to wait till I have a supported system but so far I can read the rules and access them on all my devices (computer/mobile phone) which was my top priority.
Last edited by Neidhart on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The lag only kicks in if you stop paging through the book. If you flick slightly faster through pages there is no lag at all.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

I have the PC 2.0.4 reader installed and when it opens it is a completely blank window. There are no contents to open and no obvious way to download anything.

It looks like the 2.0.4 PC version is even worse than the previous versions of the digital reader. Is this poorly written installer a product of Slitherine or is Abannan to blame? I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and this is the result I keep ending up with.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker »

+1 the lag between low res page and the full version. It occurs when you stop paging (ie at your destination)

It's workable , but looks clunky
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Batesmotel - The installer is from Abanan but it worked fine in testing so I'm not sure what the issue is. You need to install both the new books and the new reader.

All I did was install it on top of my previous version and download the new version of the books.

List Lurker - The lag was the best compromise we could get working after many iterations with Abanan. There is not enough memory on the iPad to have all the pages loaded so it has to use low res images and resolve them as it needs them. We tried to set the delay at the right level that when paging through it did not start to resolve before you wanted it to but not so long you had to wait too long when you got to your destination page.

The ideal would be to have all pages fully resolved and no lag but that's not possible with the system so this is the best we could come up with. We've been going through about 20 iterations of this over the last few months and tried all sorts of options. It has many of the features requested and is far far better than the previous version so hopefully people will find it much more useful.

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”