Field of Glory 2.0.4 reader available!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Re: Field of Glory 2.0.4 reader available!

Post by hammy »

I am having real issues with the Mac version.

I have a new Macbook Pro with the retina display running Mavericks. The application will load and I can get a view of all the section front pages but if I try to view any section I just get a grey window with a scroll bar on one edge but no pages.

Just to make life a little more frustrating I cannot resize the window which is a bit of a pain as it only covers half my screen at most.

I have downloaded 2.04 and reinstalled it but am just getting nowhere.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi Hammy,

I'll need to get support from Abanan on this as we don't have a Retina Mac in the office here to test on. Can you give us any more details about your OS and exact specs?

Thanks
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

HELP!

I want the latest version of FOG rules in a digital format. I have the original rules and all the army lists in book form. What must I do to get the latest FOG Tabletop rules set for a PC and/or Microsoft Surface Pro and/or Android?

grds
Martin
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Cunningcairn wrote:HELP!

I want the latest version of FOG rules in a digital format. I have the original rules and all the army lists in book form. What must I do to get the latest FOG Tabletop rules set for a PC and/or Microsoft Surface Pro and/or Android?

grds
Martin
FoG 2.0 and RoR list have been available for PC since the initial release. Remaining lists are available with 2.04. The list changes are also covered in an appendix to the rules so aren't required if you have the V1 lists. Unfortunately no Android support from Abannan. The PC version probably should work on the Surface Pro but I'm not sure anyone has reported one way or the other in the forum. I run the PC version on Windows 7. The reader is limited but usable. I wouldn't use the PC version while playing a TT game.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

grds
Martin
You must pay Slitherine an additional $14.99 for the rules and a further $129.88 for the army lists to have the stuff you have already bought and paid for duplicated on PC.

The rules incorporate some changes and updates to 1.0 which are not fully listed anywhere, and the lists incorporate the handful of changes listed on this free Slitherine pdf download, plus I believe a few more (mostly to do with Roman Auxilia being in 6's not 4's, and can be HF, and most barbarian foot armies are now allowed a unit of 8 Superior foot warriors) which may be included in the rules.

If you want it on Android you are free to post this as a request on this forum, and recieve a reply to the effect that it's not going to happen, and then be mildly disappointed whilst still somewhat sympathetic as to Slitherine's proferred rationale for their continuing apparent dependence on an obscure e-reader format with limited cross-platform support and functonality whilst still accepting that chucking money at redeveloping this for anything other than ipad is unlikley to be commercially feasible for any business, on account of the likely future market size both for the rules themselves, and also for the potential uptake of the aforementioned sub-par e-reader on the Android platform generally.
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

batesmotel wrote:

grds
Martin
FoG 2.0 and RoR list have been available for PC since the initial release. Remaining lists are available with 2.04. The list changes are also covered in an appendix to the rules so aren't required if you have the V1 lists. Unfortunately no Android support from Abannan. The PC version probably should work on the Surface Pro but I'm not sure anyone has reported one way or the other in the forum. I run the PC version on Windows 7. The reader is limited but usable. I wouldn't use the PC version while playing a TT game.

Chris

Thanks for the help!
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

madaxeman wrote:

grds
Martin
You must pay Slitherine an additional $14.99 for the rules and a further $129.88 for the army lists to have the stuff you have already bought and paid for duplicated on PC.

The rules incorporate some changes and updates to 1.0 which are not fully listed anywhere, and the lists incorporate the handful of changes listed on this free Slitherine pdf download, plus I believe a few more (mostly to do with Roman Auxilia being in 6's not 4's, and can be HF, and most barbarian foot armies are now allowed a unit of 8 Superior foot warriors) which may be included in the rules.

If you want it on Android you are free to post this as a request on this forum, and recieve a reply to the effect that it's not going to happen, and then be mildly disappointed whilst still somewhat sympathetic as to Slitherine's proferred rationale for their continuing apparent dependence on an obscure e-reader format with limited cross-platform support and functonality whilst still accepting that chucking money at redeveloping this for anything other than ipad is unlikley to be commercially feasible for any business, on account of the likely future market size both for the rules themselves, and also for the potential uptake of the aforementioned sub-par e-reader on the Android platform generally.

Thanks for the help!
hos459
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by hos459 »

Trying to download the new 2.0.4 reader from the link at start of thread - but it keeps linking to some 'GFACE' launcher. huh??????????????

PC Version
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Can you post the URL you are trying to download as that sounds like possible malware on your machine directing you to a different link than the file hosted on our site.
hos459

Post by hos459 »

Hmmm, late last night it suddenly worked fine. Cheers
JackN

Post by JackN »

Hi fellow gamers,
I am completely new to this field of hobby, playing boardgames for a long time and the last years also flames of war 15 mm miniatures from Battlefront.
I always wanted to play something with classic miniatures and I started with collecting an Roman and Gallic army.
On this forum I saw that the rulebook for ancient warfare was available again so I ordered this book via my bookshop (The Netherlands)
After 3 week I got the message that they did not succeed in buying the rulebook for me. A disappointment.
What to do now? Is the book available, how can I get it?
Do someone know what to do? I appreciate any help.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

The easiest place to get the printed rule book is to order via the Slitherine website. Since Slitherine decided to primarily emphasize the digital version of the rules for V2, they have done limited print runs so the printed version has not been distributed to any substantial degree through normal retail channels unlike the first edition which was printed and distributed by Osprey.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
JackN

Post by JackN »

thank you for your reaction. I am expecting my copy by post tomorrow, or next week. So far so good.
JackN

Post by JackN »

to day I received field of glory 2.0

And I was very, very much surprised about the quality of the book, thank you, thank you, excellent quality. The editors done a great job.
Finally I am ready to collect and compose my first ancient army of Romans and Galliers.
Much to read, much more to paint, and to compose a good army. I looked in the book, for the lists of units, a lot of research to do, how many units on one basis, the differences between the units, it will take time.
JackN

Post by JackN »

Yes this will occupy my time and thoughts for a long time. I am not familiar with this battle system. I am afraid that I have to read the book several times, before I understand the rules and the total system. It will go faster when I find other players in my country.
It is fortunate that I like painting miniatures, so I will start with that first.
JorgenCAB
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by JorgenCAB »

I would suggest that you make sure that the link to new buyers of the book get the latest version of the software. I had trouble with this using the PC version from the initial mail I got a link to v2.03, this obviously did not work with the book. After about 30min of searching I figured out I needed a new version and downloaded that but it still didn't work, I then found out I also had to re-download the book.

New customers should not need to go through all that trouble!
Brigz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Brigz »

I just bought FoG 2.0 Reader for PC and finally got it to display after installing 2.0.4. I have downloaded a few of the army books and everything displays great. The only problem I'm having is using the page turning tool. It is inconsistent each time you change the page. If I push the left arrow it will go to the next page. If I push it again it will go two or more pages in that direction. If I use the up arrow it might take me to the next page or it might take me backward pages. How does this "tool" work? It's very hard to find a sequence of page turning because sometimes it goes to the next or preceding page or not. Sometimes I can't even find the next page. There just doesn't seem to be any consistent way to turn pages in an orderly sequence. Is there some special instructions on how to navigate the digital "books?"

Dave B.
Tokhuah

Post by Tokhuah »

I thought the reader was supposed to have a search feature but using it on the Mac I do not see any way to do this. I expect the reader to work like the iBook reader or Kindle reader in this regard. It would be really nice the be able to search keywords...
suck it
stumneale
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by stumneale »

Hello,

Is there going to be an update to the reader?

On the App menu on my iPad it says 2.0.2, I cannot find a 2.0.4. Also the page loading times are terrible 1-3 seconds per page, you say flick through the book to speed it up?? I like to read each page.

Surely almost two years on you should have this sorted by now!

I think, so far this was a bad purchase.

Stuart
Best wishes,

General Stuart
Philotomy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Philotomy »

I only recently acquired the FoG 2 physical book, and was thinking I might get the reader, as well, but poking around the web site it seems that it is no longer available for purchase. Is it simply discontinued and no longer available?

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”