Campaign very hard?

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
Skanvak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Campaign very hard?

Post by Skanvak »

So I have begun the campaign and I have failed nearly all the scenario on first try. The AI is not very smart but a good sparring partner so I don't think this is the problem. I wonder if other people experienced the same thing. I have hard time thinging if I like the campaign or not.

It would be nice to see the map before selecting your unit in the campaign scenario. So has to know what you will need! It would benice too to be able to cancel the upgrade you bought before leaving the upgrade window. I'd like too to be able to change the support weapon I have bought without actually dropping it in the scenario.
Best regards,

Skanvak
cam98
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Campaign very hard?

Post by cam98 »

I'm slogging through the German Campaign now. I'm up to the 9th scenario "The Big Push" of the campaign (on normal) and its kicking my backside. I've lost around 12 in a row now. Tried a new strategy and I got very close. I think the AI is overall fairly decent. Occasionally , it does reckless moves but I'd still rate it an 8/10. Mark Walker and his team did a great job in my opinion. The first attempt at a new campaign scenario is a scouting attempt in my opinion. You can guess what units you'll need but won't really know until you've given it a shot.

Overall, this is an excellent game. So far, the game of the year for 2014.
TSimonetti
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by TSimonetti »

I started in introductory mode because I lept right in without reading the rules. This game is teaching me patience. I can''t go bulldozing in while on offense and have to pick my targets and move wisely on defense. Each scenario seems like prying open a tough nut, you have to start by getting a little tactical edge and then slowly build on it.

You can make a few mistakes and still come out ok, but overall this game is very unforgiving of poor tactics. I've been losing each scenario the first time but winning after two or three(or five+) tries. Have played many individual scenarios but only the first scenario of the campaign game. What I've found interesting and puts me on the edge of my seat is how many scenarios I've managed to win and almost win(ie lose) on the very last turn.

I agree this one is a keeper. I've stopped even thinking about all my others for now.

Tony
Dino_SWE
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Dino_SWE »

TSimonetti wrote:I started in introductory mode because I lept right in without reading the rules. This game is teaching me patience. I can''t go bulldozing in while on offense and have to pick my targets and move wisely on defense. Each scenario seems like prying open a tough nut, you have to start by getting a little tactical edge and then slowly build on it.

Its all those different dice modifers that make sure it behaves in a way that feels realistic. In the boardgame version, that could be a pain in the ass and exchange a descent game pacing for mathematics, but in this computerized version, it feels very natural.

Ive unchecked the modifiers displaying in the options, which allows me to build my tactics around common sense instead of number crunching. Ive also removed the dice rolling graphic and reduced the message time greatly. What this boils down to is a fast paced and highly realistic turn based experience. It works great! And it wouldnt be possible if it wasnt for the computer doing the calculations and administration for me :)

Return to “Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”