Inferno: A Red Army Campaign - full release v 0.85

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Inferno: A Red Army Campaign - full release v 0.85

Post by Cataphract88 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:40 am

Hi Bebro,

Just wanted to say thanks very much for sticking with this project. What I've seen of it so far looks very promising.

Thanks again. :) :D :)
Richard

iceFlame
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Inferno: A Red Army Campaign - full campaign coming soon

Post by iceFlame » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:03 am

bebro wrote:So it's here, the first full release of Inferno, my Red Army campaign.
Outstanding. Many thanks for seeing it through to release. No doubt this will bring many people lots of fun and enjoyment so on behalf of those who remain silent, thank you very much. :)
Go deep here: slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=49469

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:01 pm

I've only had a quick look at the mod (3 turns into first scen) and it looks great. Well done!

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments :) Shrike: yeah, there might be still things left that need some care, but I thought I put it rather out now than to hold it back even longer without any feedback other than my own impression... ;)

Meanwhile I upped the PDF install guide here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/3czmxyz2z ... lguide.pdf
(also added to OP)

The paths given there assume a Win7 installation, and need to be adjusted acc. to the specific OS in use. If anyone has still trouble to get it to run he might just post here for help.

Shrike

Post by Shrike » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Can't complain about that at all, as you've certainly made my weekend much more enjoyable :P I'll just post some stuff I encounter as I go, so you can put that cherry on the cake :mrgreen:
So far I've only spotted very trivial things anyway: I think the briefing for the first scenario after Moscow contained some spelling mistakes :wink:

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:52 am

Probably never anticipated but a Defeat in the first scenario leads to a "Scen 11, Return to Guam, 10 Aug 44" debriefing screen. When you proceed it continues to Uman but the text seems a bit strange.

I went out too hard on the Germans and lost - back to play that one again! :)

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Yeah, that's wrong of course - used the USMC briefings as template, El_C.

Shrike, there are probably more spelling mistakes. Seems to be a law of the universe that - regardless how often you check - you notice most of them only after release ;)

I collect all this and offer a hotfix after a bit to fix those issues.

Outright spelling mistakes aside, I used all kind of maps as reference, in several languages, with several different translation/transcriptions for names in various regions etc - so the spelling of city/river names there is probably quite inconsistent.

However, thx for reporting to both of you :)

Shrike

Post by Shrike » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:42 pm

You're welcome. Got a decisive victory at Kharkov 1942 in the very last turn. The scenario briefing states that one would need to occupy all objectives 5 turns before the scenario ends though (which is tough!). Was it intentional to relax this requirement for a DV?

* edit: Ugh, Voronezh cost me 6 core units :shock: Got a marginal victory anyway, but I don't know if my tattered core will survive the next one.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Did you get the triggers incl. in-game messages that tell you to abandon the attacks and basically turn the scn into a defensive one? The messages should display the new victory conditions then:

DV: Hold all objectives at the last turn

MV: Hold all but one objectives at the last turn

Thing is, so far the games does allow for such in-game changes, but (afaik) it cannot change the victory conditions displayed between the turns accordingly So b etween turns you always see those that valid at scn start, but not the recent conditons after a change. These should always be derived from said in-game messages.

6 core loss at Voronezh is indeed quite heavy. Kalach (next) has a serious German onslaught as well, so this might be a prob (unless it was all cheap inf or so).

Shrike

Post by Shrike » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:36 pm

I am pretty sure there was only one message telling me something about the risk of being encircled and to wait for further orders, but nothing about changed objectives. The way the victory hexes are set up, acquiring all of them is a serious challenge, regardless of having to defend them afterwards. I did it on the last turn because I had too many troops tied up in the N-E and S-E parts of the map.

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Ahh, I see, I need to look into trigges again then. I had them firing as intended in my tests, but if players advance differently they might be not.

Otoh it's not a huge prob, because it means you continue the op. as planned. The change was more to reflect the historic development (with the German counter attack), but that's IMO not a "must have" here in PzC.

But I'll check those triggers, and maybe ease the DV conditions a bit in case people stay on the offensive in that scn.

Shrike

Post by Shrike » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

While you're at it, you may want to do something about the flying AA gun in Operation Uranus :lol:

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Lol yeah, that's silly of course ;)

I'll provide a hotfix for several issues at the weekend.

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Congratulations with the full release. It must have been a titan job. Thank you for this very fine addition to Panzer Corps. :D
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps/
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nikivdd1/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Thank you. The Red Fury stuff was very helpful, esp. the early maps vs. Jap :)

Meanwhile I have the little hotifix ready:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nsgun ... _v0_86.zip

- fixed defeat de-briefing for Dubno 1941, first scn in European campaign path
- changed scn victory conditions display for Kharkov 1942
- corrected misplaced unit in Vistula-Oder scn 1945

These files do not affect the GME part, but replace previous files in the Scenario/Data, and Data/Briefings folders.

ksasaki
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ksasaki » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:34 pm

what difficulty level is this meant to be played on? I am playing on field marshal and my units are barely getting trickles of experience, is this intentional? Also the only way I seem to defeat japanese fighters is to surround them with 6 units and pick them off 1 by 1...

I must say playing as the Russians has a very different feel, I feel like I need to use massive waves of guys rather than a few elite ones as I am used to with the Wehrmacht. I send many non-core conscripts and tanks on suicide missions to take the brunt of the enemy attacks :(

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Designed and tested under colonel and general (the latter is what I prefer personally). Personally I found it a bit easier when activating dice chess instead of purely random.

Experience gain has been lowered compared to vanilla. But it's 25+ scns so at some point you should have enough experienced units tho, just not that fast.

Since FM has an "in-built" modifier to hand out less prestige, it means you get XP even slower.
Using many aux is certainly intended - I mean "waves" is exactly how I imagine the war in the east. This demands a somewhat different style then commanding few elite units.

Bottom line is that this intented to be relatively difficult, certainly in the first part up to 43. Tho even later scns are not that easy, everything just becomes more doable as core number and xp grows...

Akkula
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Akkula » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 am

It is normal to have just a few core units surviving each battle?, so far I am at Kiev and only have 4 KV1´s and two or three conscripts to deploy.... I keep losing a LOT of units every battle to keep the objectives under my control.
That´s way intended to be played in this campaign?, or am I playing very bad?
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.4): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Akkula,

well, you can afford to lose some core units, but not higher numbers all the time - then you'll run out of prestige at some point.

For what it's worth, I can play the entire campaign with losing less than a handfull cores, but of course as creator I know it inside out, so it's not a fair comparison.

In general, try to have esp. the more valuable units like tanks, fighters etc. surviving.

Inf is rather cheap early, so one conscript more or less will not be decisive. For example avoid direct air to air combat vs. full-strength German fighters early on until you have you fighter's XP up and better models. Using AA to wear down enemy air first should do the job in the first stage.

Personally I rather settle for MVs before Moscow and preserve my units than to do everything for a DV which costs me way too much.

Also going heavy on KVs that early is quite expensive. I have two of them plus T34, playing careful with them works well IMO.

That being said, as I posted earlier I might tone down difficulty a bit if many people think it's overdone. I just thought getting DVs en masse in 1941 would be rather strange from a historical POV.

Akkula
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Akkula » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 pm

So I am at Moscow right now and I could save some more tanks and artillery units from Kiev, but in the air I am doomed, no fighter can survive the massive german air superiority. In addition my prestige is literally 0 all the time.....
I think I will not survive this one, maybe this campaign its too much for me :(
Eastern Front: Soviet Storm (v1.96): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50342
Modern Conflicts (v1.4): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”