Wall Types

Forum for discussion of the next iteration of the BA engine. This time with a all new open development approach!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Benpark
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Wall Types

Post by Benpark »

The skirmish mode uses lots of what appear to be tall stone walls. This is very out of place for the rural Soviet maps, which should have low wooden fencing primarily. This is my one complaint thus far with the random maps, which are generally pretty good.

I can certainly see a use for the stone tall walls in more urban situations, or for middle European terrain (Hungary, etc). The walls as they are now also seem to block LoS, which lower wooden walls shouldn't do.
Tac2i
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Wall Types

Post by Tac2i »

+1 Wholeheartedly agree! All them tall stone walls make me think I'm operating in a maze. Very much overdone in my humble opinion.
Benpark wrote:The skirmish mode uses lots of what appear to be tall stone walls. This is very out of place for the rural Soviet maps, which should have low wooden fencing primarily. This is my one complaint thus far with the random maps, which are generally pretty good.

I can certainly see a use for the stone tall walls in more urban situations, or for middle European terrain (Hungary, etc). The walls as they are now also seem to block LoS, which lower wooden walls shouldn't do.
Granfali
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Granfali »

+1
collier4
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by collier4 »

Completely agree...not sure where in Russia this was supposedly part of the landscape????
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by pomakli »

+1

blocking LOS!? :shock:

too strong even for Tiger, to destroy...

:?
THE_bRUCE
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by THE_bRUCE »

If you move the openness slider to 100 per cent, you can get rid of almost all of these walls.
pomakli
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by pomakli »

THE_bRUCE wrote:If you move the openness slider to 100 per cent, you can get rid of almost all of these walls.
Thanks for this hint...
Benpark
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Benpark »

That's a good fix for the interim, but the release shouldn't have the tall stone walls in Russian rural terrain. "Urban" terrain is a proper locale for these, but used in a reasonable amount (ie. no "maze" maps!).

Wood fencing would be ideal for the rural areas. I'm not sure what benefit it would offer adjacent units when shot at from the opposite side, but they are what you would find in the preponderance of these settings. Even low stone walls should be fairly sparse (if at all present) by comparison.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I believe that the stone walls are a placeholder barrier in the farmland maps.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
cupoftea
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by cupoftea »

+1! Why would anyone build random walls in the middle of the countryside?!
Let them hate me, as long as they fear me. Caligula

Return to “Battle Academy 2 – Eastern Front”