4X strategy game from Proxy Studios

Moderators: Pandora Moderators, Slitherine Core

Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pandora First Contact Wiki

Post by Surtur »

Hi guys,

Here you can find a quick link to the Pandora wiki, which has tons of information on Pandora First Contact

Link: http://pandora.gamepedia.com/Pandora_Wiki
TokyoDan
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Pandora First Contact Wiki

Post by TokyoDan »

Actually that wiki is almost useless. in its current state.
tokyodan on Steam
GrumpyInTokyo on twitter and GETTR
Ted Hussman on Facebook
Lebb
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Lebb »

TokyoDan wrote:Actually that wiki is almost useless. in its current state.
Then us community members should do some contributing :wink:
TokyoDan

Post by TokyoDan »

Good idea.
tokyodan on Steam
Ted Hussman on Facebook
MattyLatty

Post by MattyLatty »

I love this game, and would like to invite more people to play, so that the wiki could grow. At this rate, I'm afraid people will just move on because they're so frustrated with the learning process of the game.
TokyoDan

Post by TokyoDan »

Without a detailed manual I found the game impossible to play and completely gave up on it. In order to add to the wiki one should understand the game in depth so that leaves me out. Anyway it is the job of the publishers to get a good wiki going and I don't feel like doing their job for them without pay. I think Slitherine is a sub-par company because I had a problem with another of their games. Frontline: Road to Moscow on the iPad. I think that once they get your money they could give a shit about what the players think.
tokyodan on Steam
Ted Hussman on Facebook
MattyLatty

Post by MattyLatty »

TokyoDan wrote:Without a detailed manual I found the game impossible to play and completely gave up on it. In order to add to the wiki one should understand the game in depth so that leaves me out. Anyway it is the job of the publishers to get a good wiki going and I don't feel like doing their job for them without pay. I think Slitherine is a sub-par company because I had a problem with another of their games. Frontline: Road to Moscow on the iPad. I think that once they get your money they could give a shit about what the players think.
Hi TokyoDan,
I feel your frustration. The game can be very complex and difficult to learn in the beginning. I've had many friends give up on the game because of it. I'll be uploading a tutorial video covering the basics of the game (starting, resources, etc..). It's a blast to play after the fundamentals are learned. :)
Xilmi
Pandora Community Developer

Post by Xilmi »

TokyoDan wrote:Without a detailed manual I found the game impossible to play and completely gave up on it.
I think it heavily depends on what games you have played before.

If you know both Civilization (any part) and Master of Orion 2, you are well set to quickly understand how Pandora works.

If you know neither of those, on the other hand, it might be really hard.

I consider GalCiv II more difficult to learn. I'm still not precisely sure how exactly economy works there.
MattyLatty

Post by MattyLatty »

Xilmi wrote:
TokyoDan wrote:Without a detailed manual I found the game impossible to play and completely gave up on it.
I think it heavily depends on what games you have played before.

If you know both Civilization (any part) and Master of Orion 2, you are well set to quickly understand how Pandora works.

If you know neither of those, on the other hand, it might be really hard.

I consider GalCiv II more difficult to learn. I'm still not precisely sure how exactly economy works there.
This game has great potential and could get many more customers, if only it included more directions on how to play (especially the mechanics of the game). Gamers have many games to play, and they usually want games that is fun to get into. Frustration just deters people, and they go and play other games.

For example, Age of Kings had a very basic tutorial, as basic as showing showing to left click to select a unit, and right click on a location to move. This is one of the many, many reasons why they were able to captivate and hook completely new players.

Fundamentals are completely crucial, for anything in life (games, science, relationships, etc). Look at the education system. It steers away from teaching students the fundamentals of physics, which is why students HATE physics. The basics aren't taught. Students are lost.
Xilmi

Post by Xilmi »

That might be right.

I remember that when I started playing I always read the manuals and I was glad to be able to.

Even for something like "Sonic the Hedgehog" on the Sega-console there was a relatively detailed manual.

I remember games where there was no chance to understand what those buttons did without reading the manual. Especially since the resolution back then did not really allow for text on them or mouseovers of any sort.

Nowadays I buy new games mostly on steam and don't even bother about manuals. After having played so many games before, I quickly realize similarities to other games and just have to figure out the differences between them. Also there's mouseovers most of the time and the internet to read things up.

And I guess that game-companies kinda expect that kind of user, who's been playing games for as long as themselves and doesn't need manuals. But they really shoudln't rely on that. I think it's increadibly hard for someone new to certain types of games to get into it.

For Pandora there was only one thing I wanted to look up in the manual: How the amount of cash/research of trade- and research-treaties is calculated.
That's when I learned the manual was just a writeup of background-story with no game-mechanic-related information whatsoever.

So one can kinda imagine how someone who does not have the knowledge of similar games would feel trying to play it.

I'm not convinced that this is a problem for too many customers, since I kinda would expect that this title is meant to appeal to players who know AC or at least any part of the Civ-Series. But still I think there's quite a bunch of them like TokyoDan clearly shows.

Return to “Pandora - First Contact”