Competent @30
1 large unit line AC @42
1 small unit line AD@40
1 small unit light AV@64
1 small SD LC@44
2 bases foot arty AD@40
1 arty attachment@10

Total @800
Last edited by mic on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: 1809 French Res Cav Corps

Post by deadtorius »

drop the large shock to small and drop the mixed skirmish attachment and you should be able to pick up one more infantry unit.
Drop a division commander to competent, son't think you really need skilled for a small unit of cavalry. grab an extra arty attachment for the first cav division.
KeefM
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by KeefM »

Hmmm . . . my two-penneth - too small and not enough ways to open up an opposing infantry army if it turns turtle on you.

I think it is too fragile. At just 19 ACV you can be broken on just 6 ACV losses. 5 cavalry units will not be enough protect you from suffering those losses - for instance, if they are all spent (and which won't be difficult if you intend to throw them at something), you will have lost 3.5 ACV alone. Even just two spent large units will prevent you from gaining a 30%-10% victory.

Plus, at 8 units only, most armies will be able to deploy much of their true strength after your whole army is deployed and visible.

Having said all that, you will find out very quickly how the game will turn out - you won't die wondering that's for sure. And, if someone makes a mistake in their deployment you may be able to cast them aside very quickly. But I wouldn't bet the farm on winning a lot of games with it :-)
mic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mic »

Hi gents

dropped the 2 large cav units to small and added a LC Div of 2 units
I have altered list above what do you think?
thanks regards Mick
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

I still say lose the skirmish and take as second arty in the heavy cav, think you can have 2 per division unless I am mistaken.
KeefM

Post by KeefM »

A better mix ... don't forget that you are still a small force at 21 ACV so you'll need to get the job done quickly.

One weeney tweak: drop the Light Infantry to AD and upgrade the Line to AV if the list permits this. Then add a cav attachment with the points saved. Skirmishing AD lights (w cav attach) combined with an AV line unit (w gun and skirmish attach) will help blast a hole when your cavalry units force the squares to form.
mic
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mic »

good idea. Done.
BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by BrettPT »

My first thought looking at this list is that it's pretty Command Point heavy.

If you attach your DCs (and why wouldn't you) you have effectively 11 CPs a turn for 11 units
(2 from your CC, 1 each from your 4 DCs and 5 'free' ones from attaching your DCs and the BC).

I haven't got the lists in front of me, but you could consider freeing up 20 points by dropping your CC to Competent. Your main loss in doing this would be to give up 1 point of army initiative value. I think that having 2 of your commanders as charismatic may prove more useful than the extra CP from a Skilled General. You could also survive without the BC if you needed to free up points, and - especially if facing Brits - enemy rifles have a nasty habit of lucky shots that pick off BCs.

Dropping from 4 divisions to 3 (if the list allows the mix you want in 3 divisions) is also an option.

Seeing if you could find the points for a horse artillery battery would be worthwhile - give enemy infantry who turtle up in square a bit more to think about. You could consider dropping the LC unit in the mixed division (making it an infantry division) to do this if you wanted.

Cheers
Brett

Return to “Army Design”