Hapsburg Austrian Imperial

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

youngr
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Hapsburg Austrian Imperial

Post by youngr »

Anybody used this Duty & Glory army? Can anyone recommend any tips on how or not how to design or use the army?

Cheers

Richard
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Hapsburg Austrian Imperial

Post by ravenflight »

youngr wrote:Anybody used this Duty & Glory army? Can anyone recommend any tips on how or not how to design or use the army?

Cheers

Richard
I haven't used it, but I have looked at it. I built the Louis XIV from the same book (I wouldn't recommend that army).

I don't think you've given enough information for me to help though. Are you planning on fighting in open competitions or in historically based games?

This army is good in that you have pretty much an open book on how to design things. You can take this not take that, use this, not use that, so you can design it however you want. The unifroms are nice too ;)
youngr

Post by youngr »

Open competitions with emphasis on the infantry and few cavalry. As there are few superior types I'm thinking of loads of average infantry musket/bayonet with regimental guns. Is this a crap idea? :-)

What didn't you like about Louis XIV French btw?
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

ravenflight wrote:
youngr wrote:Anybody used this Duty & Glory army? Can anyone recommend any tips on how or not how to design or use the army?

Cheers

Richard
I haven't used it, but I have looked at it. I built the Louis XIV from the same book (I wouldn't recommend that army).

I don't think you've given enough information for me to help though. Are you planning on fighting in open competitions or in historically based games?

This army is good in that you have pretty much an open book on how to design things. You can take this not take that, use this, not use that, so you can design it however you want. The unifroms are nice too ;)
Ben does very well with French and I know Alasdair has demostrated the effectiveness of the mounted/dragoon version.
Proelium: Wargaming rules for 3000B.C. - 1901A.D.
Hordes of Models and Buckets of Dice
Web: www.quickplayrules.com
Social: www.facebook.com/quickplayrules
Twitter: @quickplayrules
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

youngr wrote:Open competitions with emphasis on the infantry and few cavalry. As there are few superior types I'm thinking of loads of average infantry musket/bayonet with regimental guns. Is this a crap idea? :-)

Richard: This sounds a far too sensible option... I'm bringing a sensible option... so who can we get to bring the off the wall list this year?
spotteddog
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by spotteddog »

I think John Munro used this army.
Hunter
youngr

Post by youngr »

nigelemsen wrote:
youngr wrote:Open competitions with emphasis on the infantry and few cavalry. As there are few superior types I'm thinking of loads of average infantry musket/bayonet with regimental guns. Is this a crap idea? :-)

Richard: This sounds a far too sensible option... I'm bringing a sensible option... so who can we get to bring the off the wall list this year?
It does doesn't it :) I'm getting badgered to take a decent army but that's a sure guarantee of plummeting in every game for me :lol: so perhaps a decent army but a crap list might just work - sudden surprise to my opponents etc :lol: Also I need an army that I can love despite losing as I will play 6 games Britcon and 6 games Koblenz!
youngr

Post by youngr »

Dutch Colonial with West African Ally anyone??? - full of lovely average Cuirassier-magnet rubbish :-)
marshalney2000
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by marshalney2000 »

Hunter is right. I used Hapsburg Austrian at Britcon in 2013 and I think 2011. I quite like them but they also have a few pitfalls. One of the main ones is that the Imperial infantry do not have bayonet unlike other armies of this period. OK if you go or the one pike and 5 shot options. The cavalry is pretty much all average. If you go Eastern then they can have two MF units with musket and sword which is handy in rough terrain.
For the record I came second in both competitions. Guess who came first in both.
Hope this helps.
John
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

Re Dutch Colonial, I quite like this army as it has lots of snooty foot with pike protection so not that weak against mounted. Cannot answer for the Africans however.
John
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

"6 games britcon, 6 games germany"... Show off :)
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

youngr wrote:
nigelemsen wrote:

It does doesn't it :) I'm getting badgered to take a decent army but that's a sure guarantee of plummeting in every game for me :lol: so perhaps a decent army but a crap list might just work - sudden surprise to my opponents etc :lol: Also I need an army that I can love despite losing as I will play 6 games Britcon and 6 games Koblenz!
I see great minds think a like... I've picked a decent list and trashed it :)
youngr

Post by youngr »

nigelemsen wrote:"6 games britcon, 6 games germany"... Show off :)
Plus an additional week in Germany with partner & son :D To have the time off I'm working long periods away - I'm sure it'll be well worth it :)
youngr

Post by youngr »

Richard: This sounds a far too sensible option... I'm bringing a sensible option... so who can we get to bring the off the wall list this year?[/quote]

It does doesn't it :) I'm getting badgered to take a decent army but that's a sure guarantee of plummeting in every game for me :lol: so perhaps a decent army but a crap list might just work - sudden surprise to my opponents etc :lol: Also I need an army that I can love despite losing as I will play 6 games Britcon and 6 games Koblenz![/quote]

I see great minds think a like... I've picked a decent list and trashed it :)[/quote]

:lol: see ya game 3 Saturday afternoon then - I'll get the beers in....
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

youngr wrote:Richard: This sounds a far too sensible option... I'm bringing a sensible option... so who can we get to bring the off the wall list this year?
It does doesn't it :) I'm getting badgered to take a decent army but that's a sure guarantee of plummeting in every game for me :lol: so perhaps a decent army but a crap list might just work - sudden surprise to my opponents etc :lol: Also I need an army that I can love despite losing as I will play 6 games Britcon and 6 games Koblenz![/quote]

I see great minds think a like... I've picked a decent list and trashed it :)[/quote]

:lol: see ya game 3 Saturday afternoon then - I'll get the beers in....[/quote]

Well atleast you can't dark my sky's with arrows... I have armour this time... Oh you have gunpowder weapons... Pooh :)

Beers game 3 sounds good then we can then go and barrack the other tables :)
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

So.. My games are running currently...

Game 1: alasdair
Game 2: Simon the Aussie as he will clearly loose vs paddy :)
Game 3: Richard the younger
Game 4: ?
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

youngr wrote:What didn't you like about Louis XIV French btw?
It's a combination of things.

Firstly, I believe that the thing you lose by being Musket* are not made up for by what you gain by being Impact Foot. I tend to get shot up before I can even get to have a chance at Impact.

Secondly, I believe that 2 dice mounted are too expensive for open competition. They cannot mix it with Cuirassiers. In a historical battle they are probably fine, where anyone else is going to be the same and outclassed in quality.

Thirdly, having a compulsory 8 bases of mounted (unless 'in Spain') means you've sunk a LOT of points into not great mounted, or if you take them as average essentially useless mounted.

I think it's a combination of playing most of my games against ahistorical opponents and a points flaw in the rules.

Others seem to have no problems with them, but that's how I find it.

I've had better results with mid period (4:2 p&s & armoured Cavaliers).
youngr

Post by youngr »

ravenflight wrote:
youngr wrote:What didn't you like about Louis XIV French btw?
It's a combination of things.

Firstly, I believe that the thing you lose by being Musket* are not made up for by what you gain by being Impact Foot. I tend to get shot up before I can even get to have a chance at Impact.

Secondly, I believe that 2 dice mounted are too expensive for open competition. They cannot mix it with Cuirassiers. In a historical battle they are probably fine, where anyone else is going to be the same and outclassed in quality.

Thirdly, having a compulsory 8 bases of mounted (unless 'in Spain') means you've sunk a LOT of points into not great mounted, or if you take them as average essentially useless mounted.

I think it's a combination of playing most of my games against ahistorical opponents and a points flaw in the rules.

Others seem to have no problems with them, but that's how I find it.

I've had better results with mid period (4:2 p&s & armoured Cavaliers).
Ta for that. It appears that this army sometimes looks better on paper than it does in practise........
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Some Kings army was my first army. I though it was very effective then and I haven't changed my mind having played a few FOG R games since. Sure you loose a 2 x 1 shots at long range to 5+1s and 2 x 2 shots at close but the 5+1s are dearer, you get free bayonet which helps when forced to column and the impact bonus can be sweet. That together with Elite and superior mounted, superior shooting mounted and dragoons makes them a cxontender just IMHO lads.

Nice and colourful too!

HH
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Lots of superior foot help too!
HH

Return to “Army Design”