What to play next?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

dijonace
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

What to play next?

Post by dijonace »

So I own Panzer Corps, Allied Corps and the full Grand Campaign. Also played through most of the user made mods and campaigns (thank you all to the contributors...I've had a complete blast on most of the work published here).

I'm a bit bored at the moment. I love the Panzer Corps model of gaming and would like to play something very similar to it.

I did not get into the beta (yet) for Armies of Order of Battle: Pacific so I'm at a loss as to what to play next.

Any suggestions?
alkafluence
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: What to play next?

Post by alkafluence »

Afrika Korps?
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

You didn't list Aftika Korps expansion on your "played" list. If you didn't just forget to list it it's something then you can definitively try.

As for other games similar to PC ... there was a distinct lack of such games since a long while before PC was released. You mentioned already Order of Battle but it's still in Beta. Warhammer 40k: Armageddon will have very similar mechanics but different setting. If you don't mind the fanatsy/sci-fi Warhammer 40k then it something you should keep an eye on as well but it's still in beta too so no instant solution for you. That's sadly all i am aware of.
dijonace
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by dijonace »

Forgot to mention that I've played Afrika as well. Oh well...I guess it's a waiting game. Thank you for your responses.
best75
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by best75 »

If it's a game similar to Panzer corps, then have you seen Panzer Tactics
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

dijonace wrote:Forgot to mention that I've played Afrika as well. Oh well...I guess it's a waiting game. Thank you for your responses.
Did you have played the DMP (www.designmodproject.de) Big-MODS like....

- Ostfront >> viewtopic.php?f=147&t=33554

- Winterkrieg (Winterwar): viewtopic.php?f=147&t=30993

- Pazifik Korps: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=43730

- Afrika Korps: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=27346

or the wonderful "LoV-MOD" (look at my Sig): viewtopic.php?f=147&t=39015
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

If you don't mind mods, I have made a WWI game: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47239

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by fliegenderstaub »

You did not mention the difficulty level you played on. A higher difficulty level can be another idea. Or you might customize the difficulty, experiment with the composition of your core.

And, of course, one day in the distant future Soviet Corps will be released. :wink:
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -
adrianoku
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by adrianoku »

I think Battle Academy http://www.slitherine.com/games/bbc_ba_pc may lean your pains, it's a great game, simple to learn but hard to manage, I think it's been released also a demo if you want to try.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

BiteNibbleChomp's WW1 mod provides a good change of pace and improves your forward planning by miles - in one scenario I worked out the best route for my artillery to get to a destination 16 hexes away in time to get there in time to be useful at full speed of 1 hex per turn!

It may take a few games before you adjust to the different pace and the longer artillery range but it still rewards good tactics and planning and now has some excellent distinctive icons. Well worth a go.

The only reason I'm not playing it at the moment is that trying to make some small-scale scenarios to, and it's harder than it looks.
Muddy

Post by Muddy »

gatto wrote:I think Battle Academy http://www.slitherine.com/games/bbc_ba_pc may lean your pains, it's a great game, simple to learn but hard to manage, I think it's been released also a demo if you want to try.
Yeah, Battle Academy is what I moved onto after PC.
BiteNibbleChomp

captainjack wrote:BiteNibbleChomp's WW1 mod provides a good change of pace and improves your forward planning by miles - in one scenario I worked out the best route for my artillery to get to a destination 16 hexes away in time to get there in time to be useful at full speed of 1 hex per turn!

It may take a few games before you adjust to the different pace and the longer artillery range but it still rewards good tactics and planning and now has some excellent distinctive icons. Well worth a go.

The only reason I'm not playing it at the moment is that trying to make some small-scale scenarios to, and it's harder than it looks.
Clearly you haven't played v1.3. There were a great deal of gameplay changes there, including transports.

- BNC
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Clearly you haven't played v1.3
It must have been V1.2 - the colourful French units had been added, but there were no transports. I liked the horse transports in the scenario I play tested a couple of months back, so it's good to hear they are now part of the main campaign.

The trouble with thinking "I wonder how hard it is to design a scenario?" is that it gets a bit time consuming. And it looks like it affected my typing in the previous post.

Once I've worked this out of my system I'll have a go at 1.3 unless the DLCs are ready by then.
BiteNibbleChomp

captainjack wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Clearly you haven't played v1.3
It must have been V1.2 - the colourful French units had been added, but there were no transports. I liked the horse transports in the scenario I play tested a couple of months back, so it's good to hear they are now part of the main campaign.

The trouble with thinking "I wonder how hard it is to design a scenario?" is that it gets a bit time consuming. And it looks like it affected my typing in the previous post.

Once I've worked this out of my system I'll have a go at 1.3 unless the DLCs are ready by then.
I'm assuming that by 'DLCs' you are refferring to GC14. That is planned for v1.5, but if time allows I could try to get it into v1.4

Also ,scenario making isn't that time consuming (usually). Most of the WWI scenarios took me ~2hrs to make. If you plan on making a really large one like War of the World, then 3 months is a good estimate. I spend a lot of my development time fiddling around with the graphics and .pzdat files.

- BNC
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Also ,scenario making isn't that time consuming (usually).
I'm a bit slow at the moment because I'm new to it, but there's a lot of discussion pages and many pages of icons to read. Most of this is interesting and can be quite distracting - especially once I start looking up background info on units I didn't know about or reading about relatively unknown events. Luckily I'm doing this for my own entertainment and mainly to use some of the amazing icons people are producing so I don't have deadlines to meet!

To get back on drjonace's topic on what to play next. There are many good mods around which could keep you occupied for weeks or months, even if you only liked half of them. Once you've finished all those (it should only take a few months), you can either go back to what you've just finished (which will seem new again) or start making your own scenarios. I'm still new to it but managed to get a small scenario working within a weekend.

Return to “Panzer Corps”