does anyone use 28mm?

This forum is for any questions about the rules. Post here is you need feedback from the design team.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

burnsibub
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

does anyone use 28mm?

Post by burnsibub »

We are using 25/28mm for a bit of a WOTR games and 1MU=1 is a bit, well short. Movement is not too bad especially with double moves but shooting feels way to short especially when bowmen were a big factor in this period. House rules to double range?
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Re: does anyone use 28mm?

Post by timmy1 »

When we play 28mm for our games we use 1MU=40mm
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

burnsibub wrote:We are using 25/28mm for a bit of a WOTR games and 1MU=1 is a bit, well short. Movement is not too bad especially with double moves but shooting feels way to short especially when bowmen were a big factor in this period. House rules to double range?
Well it is really not* different for frontal approach. Because the range and the move distance stay constant you still suffer the same amount of fire.

* But if you approach at a 90 degree angle it is a more significant interaction because the bases are 50% wider but the range and speed are unchanged.

That is why many play 1 MU = 40mm a few play 1 MU = 1.5 inches.

But whatever you do, hold the range and speed relationship constant or you radically up power bows.
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

burnsibub wrote:House rules to double range?
Yeah, what Hazelbark said... if you double the range NOTHING will get into contact with bows. They will shoot them down on their way in. That would be something like 6 rounds of fire before foot can even charge! If you did that you'd see nothing BUT bow armies on the field.

I'd keep it as the same and just get used to the range. When you consider that the height of any figure (even 5mm) is a gross exaggeration of the distances, it starts to matter less and less. In 15mm the distance of 6MU (longest range) is 6 x 25mm = 150mm, or 10 times the height of a 15mm figure. So, the 'range' of bow would be about 60 feet at maximum! Clearly bows could shoot much further than that, so the relationship between range and figure height is not a real thing anyway... but as others have said 40mm to 1MU seems like a good compromise if you wanted to increase range to satisfy some kind of 'feeling' of true range.
pyruse
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pyruse »

We use 28mm, and we use 30mm=1MU.
1 inch is too short, and we tried 40mm but found it a bit long for a 6x4 table.
30mm has the merit of being half a base width, so the restricted area is one base width.
mbsparta

Post by mbsparta »

We play 28mm also. I have played both with 1"=1MU and 40mm=1MU.

Locally we use a 6x4 table and normally use 650 to 700 point armies. 1"=1MU gives a good game on that sized table with those sized armies. Bigger games on bigger tables tend to work better at 40mm.

I agree the shooting ranges seem odd given 28mm figures and all but game-wise using 1 inch works perfectly. Tinkering with ranges will break the game. One of the strengths of FoG is the importance of deployment. With 1"=1MU it is very difficult to re-deploy your little army.

My recommendation would be to try 1"=1MU a few times before trying 30mm or 40mm.

Mike Bruck
MDH
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MDH »

I have regularly played with 25/28 mm and found no problem with an 8x6, or 12x6 table . A 6x4 is tad small for me for 15/28mm .In 15mm I do find the 6 foot depth a bit of a stretch quite literally as they are more fiddly to move and align, than larger bigger based figures but cutting it back to 5 foot is not doable as it rests on 16 steel drawer cabinets full of 25/28m mm figures . But I don't find using 1" = 1 MU awkward for ranges. If I was to change it , it would be for 15mm to 1.5".

I do feel that giving longbows ( as in classic Welsh/English the same range as other bows is challengeable but they are pretty hard to beat ( when in 8's with stakes especially) as it is , so can understand why one would not want to stretch them even further! But I don't think many ancients rules covering the period so widely are able to take full account of the different types of bow used in different parts of the world and at different times and the culture of archery that some societies and armies embodied.

Return to “Rules Questions”