D3drm GoT/Spartan problems

PC/MAC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Greek World.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

D3drm GoT/Spartan problems

Post by pipfromslitherine »

For Windows Vista users who are having problems running Spartan or Gates of Troy, please download this dll. It is part of DirectX, which does not get included with Windows Vista. Unzip and place the dll in the game folder, or if this does not work, place it in the windows\sysytem32 folder.

http://www.slitherine.com/files/downloads/d3drm.zip
MrsMedusa
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by MrsMedusa »

:oops: I've moved the file d3drm.dll into system32 in it's unzipped state, and the game spartan still wont work on this stupid computer.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try dropping it into the same directory as the game EXE.

Are you sure it is still the same error coming up?

Cheers

Pip
MrsMedusa

Post by MrsMedusa »

:oops: It works ok now, thanks much..I moved the d3drm.dll file into the region of the "C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Spartan\spartan.exe"
Thersites

Vista problems in Mac Boot Camp

Post by Thersites »

Hello!

I have an Intel MacBook Pro, running Mac OS 10.5 and Vista Business in the PC partition of the hard disk at 2.4 GHz. Since no Mac demo is available, nor is the Mac version sold anywhere in this continent apparently, I tried downloading the PC version to run on the Vista side of things. I also downloaded the d3drm.dll file, placing it first in the Troy folder, then in System32, then back in Troy. I still get an "Internal Error" as soon as I click on "Try the demo" after launching the programme, and I believe it is related to the d3drm.dll file. Is there something else I can try? If I can't get the demo to work, I am worried the purchased full version won't work either.

Thanks!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry we don't know much about MAC's. You could try Spartan as this is available for MAC from www.vpltd.com.
Thersites

Vista on Mac

Post by Thersites »

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, VP seems to have discontinued support for Spartan and Gates of Troy. Since I am trying to get the PC version to run through Vista Business, what suggestions would you offer, if I was simply using a 2.4 GHz PC (which I essentially am)? As I said, I have tried placing the d3drm.dll file in both the Troy folder and the System32 folder. Thanks again!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

In Vista you have to right click on the shortcut and say "Run as Administrator" on some PC's. Try and see if that helps.
Thersites

Post by Thersites »

Ah ha! That seemed to work. Thank you. Two more, smaller problems though: I can only see a small area in the map screen on the mission/level selection menu. Not that big a deal, but everything in the game (menus. directions, etc.) is in Italian! Everything but the opening cut scene. Crazy! Can I change this somewhere? I couldn't find a language options screen. I believe I downloaded it from CNET. Could I have somehow gotten an Italian-only demo? I searched the forum, and apparently you didn't even release an Italian demo, so I am totally confused now! All the comments on the CNET page were in English, of course.

Thanks!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry I have no idea. Do you have Italian Gates of Troy by any chance as it may be taking the text from there? We only sell the English version as a digital download from our site so I'm not sure what might be happening.
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

spartan

Post by panzers »

I downloaded that stupid file and it still wont work.
I am expecting to receive chariots of war tomorrow, and, unless this problem gets resolved, I am going to refuse the game. As of right now, I'm out 60 bucks and I am really pissed off.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

WHat is the problem panzers? What is your OS, what happens when you run the game?
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

This is word for word on what it says:
1, spartan.exe has stopped working. close program

2, This problem requires a missing windows component.
Check for solutions on the microsoft website,
If a solution is available, there will be steps you can follow to fix the problem.
program: autoplay application
publisher: autorun

Then I hit details and this is what I got: This program requires D3DRM.DLLwhich is no longer included in this version of windows (what an asshole Bill Gates is)
Check for solutions online.

3, no solutions found for autoplay application.
Windows will notify you when solutions become available. (not)
For more information about this program contact autorunexcept for my comments in parentheses, that is what I get word for word, step by step.
I want, badly to play this game, and if I can't, I would really appreciate it if I could have a refund. I bought Alexander the Great and have no problems with it, however, I heard that Chariots is the same deal and I am especting it later today.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi Panzers - we do not understand why the files were removed either, but not our call :)

If you download the vista fix zip it should get you up and running, same for Chariots of War.

I'm sorry I have no details about how the Matrix autorun program works so you'll need to ask for tech support on their site as it's not something we created. You'll also need to ask them for any refunds too as we did not take the order and have no way to access their system.
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

what's the zip file I need? the one on the top of the post? Because if that's it, then I don't have a game
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes you need too copy that d3drm.dll file to the game dir, where your spartan/troy.exe file are. If it is there you will not get that error. If you get that error it means the file is not in the right place - that is all the error means.
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

iainmcneil wrote:Yes you need too copy that d3drm.dll file to the game dir, where your spartan/troy.exe file are. If it is there you will not get that error. If you get that error it means the file is not in the right place - that is all the error means.
But where is the exe file? It's not in all programs or the Spartan file
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Usually it will be in C:\Program Files in a directory dependent upon the publisher (so look for Matrix, Slitherine, etc). Then in a Spartan or Troy folder.

If there is a shortcut on the desktop, you can right click it and there should be some way to locate the file that it points to, which will give you the details of where it is.

Hope that helps

Pip
panzers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by panzers »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Usually it will be in C:\Program Files in a directory dependent upon the publisher (so look for Matrix, Slitherine, etc). Then in a Spartan or Troy folder.

If there is a shortcut on the desktop, you can right click it and there should be some way to locate the file that it points to, which will give you the details of where it is.

Hope that helps

Pip
Once again, nope. I have the shortcut for it and there is no option for anything but dvd roms and documents, no spartan or troy.
I'm done with this. I got screwed.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

You did not get screwed. Please read the instructions. Vista does not include a file you need to play the game. It exists in XP. The game you bought was created before Vista existed, so we did not know Mcrosoft would stop including the file that is needed! All you need to do is put the file in the games directory. Please tell us where you installed the files - what is the directory path (folder name)? If you put the dll in that dir it will work.

Return to “Spartan & Gates of Troy”