RC weapon balance

Warhammer Open Beta

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators, WH40K Armageddon moderators

Galdred
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

RC weapon balance

Post by Galdred »

The volcano cannon still has 2 shots, making it just plainly superior to the plasma blastgun (both are supposed to be reasonable equivalent choices on a super heavy tank).
It would be better to reduce it to 1 shot, and bump its accuracy to something between -0 and -5 /hex, as it is supposed to be a very long range weapon.

The Gatling blaster needs to have its max range set to 4 : Otherwise, the Reaver can only fire all of its weapon at range 3 exactly, which does just make the loadout look retarded.

As I pointed out in the bug thread, land raider Helios should have 4 lascannons, and not 2 arrays of 4.

Otherwise, I quite like the changes made.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Re: RC weapon balance

Post by Kerensky »

Had to take all direct fire weapons to range 4 maximum because of game limitations, and Volcano is balanced by price. 1 RoF just wasn't getting the job done. Considering the power of the new Reaver, a extremely small window for optimal firing range is a good thing to have!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Out of interest why are direct fire weapons all range 4?
Galdred
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Galdred »

I am also curious about it. I had no problem firing from range 5 last build with tue volcano. The AI won t try hard to engage the units it cannot see indeed, but this is already the case at range 3. I fins the statement that it is not possible to make a one shot weapon stronger than a 2 shots weapon strange and worrying. Maybe that is the core of all weapon balance problems in the game (with multiple weapons tanks destroying single weapon ones).
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

IainMcNeil wrote:Out of interest why are direct fire weapons all range 4?
Good question.

I also asked this when I noticed the Quake Cannon wasn't functioning by it's defined 3-7 range, but only seemed to work at 3-4 range. It apparently has nothing to do with the numbers put into the data fields, but more to do with how the game reads these numbers (stopping after 4). rudankort will be able to answer this question much more precisely, but for the moment we have limited direct fire weapons to cap at 4, and anyone above that has been given 'indirect' trait. Namely the Quake Cannon.
Last edited by Kerensky on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

To clarify, no, not ALL direct fire weapons are maximum 4 range. I mean that any large weapon who could possibly be interpreted as having 5 or more than 5 range were limited to 4. There are plenty of direct fire weapons that are 1,2, and 3 maximum range. :)
Galdred
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Galdred »

Anything else I have noticed :
4 Lascannons is still more than 2*better than 2
2shots 85 AP 30 to 1 shot 75 AP 30
While 2 bolters aremuchworse than 2*1
I think it would be better to have 4 lascannons = 2 shots 75 AP30 for consistency...

Another problem :
Reaver weapons are both worse than Warhound's :
Gatling blaster is strictly inferior to Mega Bolter (less range, less shots, same damage). It should be better against vehicles, and have same range at least.

Laser Blaster is weaker against super heavies, but might be better against lighter tanks due to high RoF.
The reaver does not offer much compared to the Warhound currently in term of firepower.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

If we could get a list of all suspected differences between the tabletop and the game that would be useful. We may not want to change things but being aware of them is useful.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Code: Select all

http://www.40krpgtools.com/armoury/weapons/
if not already seem that is :wink:
vadersson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by vadersson »

IainMcNeil wrote:If we could get a list of all suspected differences between the tabletop and the game that would be useful. We may not want to change things but being aware of them is useful.
This is exactly what I have been trying to do! Want my Data Mine Spreadsheet? It has comparisons for all weapons vs. Tabletop.

Let me know.
Thanks,
Duncan
The Warhammer 40K games all need more T'au Empire units.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Galdred wrote:I am also curious about it. I had no problem firing from range 5 last build with tue volcano. The AI won t try hard to engage the units it cannot see indeed, but this is already the case at range 3. I fins the statement that it is not possible to make a one shot weapon stronger than a 2 shots weapon strange and worrying. Maybe that is the core of all weapon balance problems in the game (with multiple weapons tanks destroying single weapon ones).
No fundamental problem, just our LOS algorithm requires some handiwork for each additional hex of range. In the beginning all direct fire weapons capped at 4, so I did not check longer distances. And when, just before the GM build, it turned out that longer ranges don't work, we just did not have time to investigate. In one of the future patches this will be addressed.
Galdred
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Galdred »

Glad to hear that! :)
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes please send over your data mine spreadsheet. Mail to iain@slitherine.co.uk and we can look in to it.

Return to “Warhammer Open Beta”