Need help on Dog Heads mission

PC/MAC : A belnd of role playing game and RTS following the story of the mighty Roman Empire.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

gytis
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Need help on Dog Heads mission

Post by gytis »

Hi,

Well situation is like this that i can complete this mission, tried like 20 times already. Objectives r to gain victory in 200minutes (seconds game time) and take less than 225 casualities. But seems like i always fail. I got 9 squads of Preatorians. They beat everything but the leader (23lvl) and his bodyguards (17lvl heavy infantry). Any sugestions? How should i complete it? Thnx.
gytis

Post by gytis »

i know this is lame but if theres no other way maybe theres som cheats like to skip that scenario ..
sum1won
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by sum1won »

Uhhhh... Pure heavy infantry is NOT a good build up. Go back a few scenarios (you did save, right?) and get some archers/ javelins, as well as at least 2 auxila, and level them up. When you reach dogs head, you should be prepared.
Usual gaming hours: 11PM-4AM GMT
venividivici
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by venividivici »

This is how I deployed for that one with every unit on Charge/Offensive. Bear in mind I was only playing on Normal the first time around and this battle will be much tougher on Hard or VHard. heavy infantry tend to plod across the battlefield and vital time can be lost getting into contact with the enemy. You could do with some cav/militia/auxiliaries to send out to the left and kill the enemy general while the rest of your army deals with the heavy inf. Note that the weight of the enemy strength is on the right and I correspondingly placed my highest stat units on that side with auxiliaries and light inf/militia guarding my left flank.

zedeyejoe
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by zedeyejoe »

How about this (using the forces you have). Keep 3 units of Pretorians back, moving forward at normal speed. After you have broken the first line of defence, throw these fresh units in against the general and bodyguard. Its basically a tactic to break up the good enemy troops with pila.
lawson
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by lawson »

:) HI,
That mission gave me a lot of trouble too! The way I eventually won was to make a 'v' formation heavies on the outside ligt troops and leader in the middle of the ' v' and advanced straight through the middle of them!. close run but it worked .Hope that helps.
honvedseg
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Cynocephalae

Post by honvedseg »

This was one of the few scenarios that I had to do twice, playing on Hard. The back rank of enemy cav shifted away to the left, and my main force didn't catch up with them until too late. On the second try, I ended up sending my auxilia charging up the patch of rough ground, and detaching my best cav unit and a good heavy infantry squad to advance along the left edge of the map. The remaining forces were arrayed in traditional battle order on the right half, in a direct charge at the bulk of the opposing forces.

As soon as the auxilia broke the first enemy light unit in their way, and before they all got embroiled with the enemy heavy unit that came to join their party in the rough, I sent one further ahead up the broken terrain to get behind the enemy, and put their ranged troops out of business, and also to guard the rough area to prevent the enemy cav from escaping. Meanwhile, the cav and single heavy unit on the left side had bagged themselves an enemy cav unit, so I sent them across the rough ground to attack the back row of opposing forces on the right side of the map, mainly to prevent them from slipping away again. As the main battle line gradually broke the enemy front rank, I sent those victors still in good shape to reinforce my troops heavily engaged and outnumbered in the back. The more beaten-up units went after the remaining skirmishers, or to finish off any surviving units still fighting in front. My archers were re-assigned to fire on the enemy back ranks, as orders allowed, once they ran out of targets within range of their first firing positions. I ended up taking about half the maximim number of casualties (a lot more than usual), and had 15 to 20 seconds on the clock when the last of the enemy fled the field.
miki

Post by miki »

Dogs Head is a nighmare in VERY HARD.

I have tried it almost 100 times, with very different core forces in three different campaigns, and found it absolutely unwinable. Sometimes I lost for a few seconds or too much casualties when it was almost finished... :x

I had to set it down to HARD level in order to win the battle and continue the campaign. :cry:

Anyone won Dogs Head in VERY HARD actually? If yes, please tell me how to? :shock:
Saludos
Miki
marcusthegreat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by marcusthegreat »

Dogs heads? That dosen't sound like a real battle
duncan

Post by duncan »

marcusthegreat wrote:Dogs heads? That dosen't sound like a real battle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cynoscephalae

it sounds more like a real battle in greek :wink:

EDIT: I beat that scenario on hard luring their hevy infantry into the rough terrain with my powered-up auxilia, while the poor heavy infantry were send against their incredible hoplites to suffer a lot. The main winning key for me was luring enough heavy infantry away from my triarii into the scrub...
"The Art Of War: Fantasy" supporter!
marcusthegreat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by marcusthegreat »

I'm stuck on the same battle

My army

General (Eighteen)
Scouts (16)
Scouts (15)
Hastati (16)
Hastati (15)
Hastati (13)
Nobles (13)
Velites x2 (16)
Hastati (14)
Principes (19)
Principes (17)
Nobles (Eight)
Principes (14)
Legionary (9)
Auxillary Archers (6)
Auxilla (1)
Legionary x2 (1)
Nobles (1)
lcjr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by lcjr »

I think it was Velites that won this one for me my last play through on Hard. Defeating everything except for the bodyguard wasn't that difficult. The bodyguard seem to have max armor and all defensive perks to boot. I simply hit them front and rear with 2-3 units at a time while my Velites poured on the javelins. Every volley was rewarded with several yellow arrows. Basically all my infantry was doing was rarely inflicting minimal damage and get killed to buy time.

As much as possible make sure your Skirmishers and Velites have extra javelins, heavy missiles, Weakspot Targeting and Anti-Infantry. Against armor that thick criticals are about your only hope.
Redpossum
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Redpossum »

I don't know why, but this one has never been that hard for me. Then again, I favor a lot of light troops, and some folks in this thread look to be placing an unbalanced emphasis on Heavy Infantry. This map having some crucial action in rough terrain, well, you see the problem.

I just finished playing it again with difficulty set to Hard, here is a screen of the ending...

As you can see, my army consists of -

4x Militia
3x Skirmishers
1x Spearmen

2x Scouts
3x Aux. Cav.

I just lined up the Cavalry and Spears on the right to take on the guys in the clear, and the Militia backed up by the Skirmishers on my left to take out the guys in the rough, and set everybody to Charge.

As you can also see, one Militia and one Hvy Cav unit routed, and the Spears got chewed up some.

If you check the top left, you can see I had plenty of casualties and time to spare.

Militia are good troops if you train 'em right :)
marcusthegreat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by marcusthegreat »

Yey I managed to do the battle after More troop upgrading and doing what lcjr said
lcjr
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by lcjr »

Just ran through it again on hard with a different army setup and got a surprise. Met Phillips bodyguard head on with my Lvl 10 Elephants and Lvl 21 Principes. The Principes had already been in the thick of it and broke. But much to my surprise the Elephants stayed in and mauled the Bodyguard badly. I'm guessing it's the massive 20 concuss damage. They had support from some Archers and when they looked like they might break I hit the Bodyguard from behind with with some Aux Cavalry.
miki

Post by miki »

possum wrote: Militia are good troops if you train 'em right :)
Hi Possum,

I'm very interested into trying a Militia-heavy army in very hard. Which skills & equipment do you assign to them, and in which order?
Saludos
Miki
Redpossum

Post by Redpossum »

miki wrote: Hi Possum,

I'm very interested into trying a Militia-heavy army in very hard. Which skills & equipment do you assign to them, and in which order?
Well, bro, I spelled it all out in detail inthis post.

But I have no certainty how well they are going to work on Very Hard...

FFS, make sure you take some Auxiliary Cavalry, as well.
spedius01
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

"Dog's Head" mission

Post by spedius01 »

Ave

I've just completed #42 in the Roman campaign, the "Dog's Head" mission.

Final kills/losses = 374/47 and with 49 seconds left on the clock, whilst not brilliant, it's my best so far.

If you'd like to know how I did it, write in and ask.

When 10 requests have been posted, by different people, I'll tell you!!

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
"If you build it, they will come"
North London Wargames Group
miki

Re: "Dog's Head" mission

Post by miki »

spedius01 wrote:I've just completed #42 in the Roman campaign, the "Dog's Head" mission.
Hi Spedius,

I'm interested.

For now, just one thing: which difficulty level?
Saludos
Miki
spedius01

Re: "Dog's Head" mission

Post by spedius01 »

miki wrote:
spedius01 wrote:I've just completed #42 in the Roman campaign, the "Dog's Head" mission.
Hi Spedius,

I'm interested.

For now, just one thing: which difficulty level?
Ave miki,

Normal level. (just joking!!! It was on "Arcade Mode", I'm setting "benchmarks" to give myself targets to beat!)

That's one, nine more to go!!

Vale

M.Spedius Corbulo
Last edited by spedius01 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~Jim Poulton~~~
"If you build it, they will come"
North London Wargames Group

Return to “Legion Arena & CoM”