Why am I seeing same dice rolls each time?

Hell is a turn-based tactical skirmish strategy game developed by award winning developer Hunted Cow in partnership with Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Tridenz0
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Why am I seeing same dice rolls each time?

Post by Tridenz0 »

I'm seeing something unusual, but I'm new to the game so perhaps I don't understand. I'm playing the 3rd mission of the Gilrond campaign. I moved a Scout into the forest, thinking he would be invisible, but he's ganged up on by 4 lesser demons. Here's the interesting part: they get 8 basic attacks. The first 7 always miss, the 8th always hits...with the same dice rolls! I had saved before I finished my turn, so I've been able to reload and replay their turn. Same results, with same rolls, every time. 7 misses, killed on the 8th. Can this be right? Aren't these dice rolls supposed to be random? I have both the save file available, as well as screen shots with the repeated dice rolls, if they're helpful. Thanks.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why am I seeing same dice rolls each time?

Post by pipfromslitherine »

The random game saves the seed used for the random numbers so you would indeed expect to see the same results if nothing else happens before it after the save.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Tridenz0

Post by Tridenz0 »

Thanks for the reply. I read in a post that with Buzz Aldrin you can change the seed in the save file with a text editor:

Quote:

<SPMRandom RandomSeed="429" RandomUsageCounter="4908" />

Change the attributes to different values and try again, you'll certainly get a different output.

End Quote

Is this possible with Hell? What help me practice strategies / try different things as I'm learning. Thanks.
gerbercage
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gerbercage »

So when save the game, it also save it random which become more like "fix"?
I though everytime when you attack or use skill, it only start to roll with "random"?
Is this suppose to prevent people from keep save/load so that you can get a better result? I know some ppl that playing turn base game which got miss hit and random dmg number will like to keep save/load so that they can get a better result in game with this "luck"
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski »

gerbercage wrote:So when save the game, it also save it random which become more like "fix"?
I though everytime when you attack or use skill, it only start to roll with "random"?
Is this suppose to prevent people from keep save/load so that you can get a better result? I know some ppl that playing turn base game which got miss hit and random dmg number will like to keep save/load so that they can get a better result in game with this "luck"
Yes, this is to help prevent cheaters from cheating in both the solo game and pbem. I like it. Should be in all games. There should be no way to edit save game files either.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Space Program Manager is a different developer and different engine so works in a completely different way so you cant change the random numbers. This is partly related to multi-player and to prevent cheating :) .
Tridenz0

Post by Tridenz0 »

Ah, that makes sense. Didn't think about the multiplayer cheating issue. Thanks!

Return to “Hell”