Option to choose the kind of shells an artillery will fire?

PC/MAC : Commander the Great War is the latest release in the popular Commander series to bring the thrill, excitement and mind-breaking decision making of these difficult times to life.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Kettengeist
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Option to choose the kind of shells an artillery will fire?

Post by Kettengeist » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:04 pm

Hello folks,

in my SP game it is March 18 1915 and I've upgraded all my artillery to lvl VI. Perhaps I should have read the manual more carefully, but after doing the upgrade I've figured out that my artillery will from now on attack with gas grenades. Is there a way to use conventional ammunition? It's also impossible to build lower german artillery anymore. (I don't want to make usage of gas shells, cause I don't want Bulgaria to join the Entente.) Must I to wait until the Entente makes usage of gas ammunition first before I can use my artillery again?

Greetings,
Kettengeist

Schmacki
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Option to choose the kind of shells an artillery will fi

Post by Schmacki » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:34 pm

No Ammunition is for all units the same only the amount is different for which unit needed. If you attack, the amount this unit needs will be shown.
e.g. artillery 10, battleships 3, cruisers 1, zeppelins 1
fighters don`t consume ammo
Schmacki

Kettengeist

Post by Kettengeist » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:55 am

Schmacki wrote:No Ammunition is for all units the same only the amount is different for which unit needed....
Schmacki
Thanks for your response. Yes, I've noticed this. But this means that, next time, I will have to wait with upgrading my artillery. This is a little bit frustrating due to my actual SP game. Well then, I'll wait to the Entente that they research and use poison gas as the first. (Damn, I was on my road to Moscow. I guess this has to wait. :mrgreen:

Edit: As I've read here Arty seems to be a waste of resources due to the same amount of Ammo used like in the days of the patch state in 2014. Knowing this, I think I should focus on the knights of the sky. :wink:

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:00 am

Kettengeist wrote:Hello folks,

in my SP game it is March 18 1915 and I've upgraded all my artillery to lvl VI. Perhaps I should have read the manual more carefully, but after doing the upgrade I've figured out that my artillery will from now on attack with gas grenades. Is there a way to use conventional ammunition? It's also impossible to build lower german artillery anymore. (I don't want to make usage of gas shells, cause I don't want Bulgaria to join the Entente.) Must I to wait until the Entente makes usage of gas ammunition first before I can use my artillery again?

Greetings,
Kettengeist
Done this before: Upgraded 1 of my 2 German artillery units to gas without realizing it (I was unable to "undo" the upgrade). Continued the game without using the upgraded unit, just using the non-gas unit till the Diplomat picture changed for the same fears you had. Unfortunately once the gas tech has been achieved, all new artillery units ordered from that point on, will have gas (in your case class VI). Yes, to your last question (unless you want to use gas first). I'll add this: If you have an artillery unit in the production queue that was ordered before the gas tech was developed, that unit when completed can and will be deployed "without" gas. One other thing: Bulgaria will never join Entente in this game, unless CP declares war on Bulgaria, which is highly unlikely to happen.

FarAway Sooner

Post by FarAway Sooner » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:13 am

This is really annoying. I get how it happened, but it speaks to shoddy UI design. Really ruins the immersion of the experience.

nehi
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by nehi » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:08 pm

arts with 10 ammo per shot are just bad joke anyway

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

FarAway Sooner wrote:This is really annoying. I get how it happened, but it speaks to shoddy UI design. Really ruins the immersion of the experience.
In the end: The artillery owner should have had the choice of what type of shell it could use and how much ammo was to be used in an attack? Not all artillery barrages used the fullest amount of ammo available, which we are forced to do at present, thus robbing the player of a wider array of tactics and strategy.

Robotron
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Robotron » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:40 pm

nehi wrote:arts with 10 ammo per shot are just bad joke anyway
Sadly that value of "10 units of ammo" is harcoded into the AI files and a bunch of other files quite a few times and good luck to anyone at trying to iron that out. :P

Best thing in my opinion would be to either raise artillery strength quite a bit and/or reduce the cost for ammo-factories. In my mod I raised the arty base strength from 3 to 5 which worked quite good, will have to try a few games with lessend ammo-factory costs. Also field tests with fighter and bomber units with lessened stats, being unable to inflict unrealistic unit strength and efficiency loss have proven to be worthwile as did raising the effect of poison gas.

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:00 am

Robotron,

I'd be in complete agreement with you with a less costly ammo factory, also think additional locomotive costs are way over the top..

Bob

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:45 am

Also in my mod I have introduced a special Event for all european nations called "Women in the Workforce" :

As soon as the "manpower" stat (that stat that decides upon troop quality) of a given nation has fallen below a certain value (mostly 90%, 85% for Germany, AH and Russia) each gameturn, the game will roll a d100 (roll a random number between 1 and 100) and if the roll is less or equal than the current gameturn the event "Women Workforce" will fire.

As soon as the event has "fired" the following things will occur for every single future turn:

A further roll of d100 against the current gameturn will be made and if less or equal:

1. The nation will produce a random amount of additonal ammunition which will be between a minimum of 1 and a maximum of (the total amount of its ammo factories divided by 3 rounding down)
2. If a further roll of a d100 is below the nation's morale there will be a 50% chance the nation will lose one point of morale (due to universal suffrage movements emerging and the effects of: http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/9-women-r ... ns-factory

How about this?

nehi

Post by nehi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:31 pm

interesting, but i think its more important to set up solid core of the game and such tiny details can be used as spice later 8)

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:52 pm

This is one of those times where I have to agree with nehi... :wink:

Robotron

Post by Robotron » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Okay, I have uploaded an archive containing two files in the Mods& Scenario section which I hope will adress the problem of artillery being too inefficient compared to aircraft and ammo being too expensive in general . Please have a look and try them out then report back. :)

Return to “Commander - The Great War”