How important is physical depiction? New to game

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Ancients & Medieval.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Whachacha
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

How important is physical depiction? New to game

Post by Whachacha »

Hi,

Just getting into this game, and I was wondering how the basing works. In the basic rulebook the Carthaginian army for Hannibal lists 4 x Numidian Calvary, and under that again, it lists 4 x Numidian Calvary. does this mean 2 bases with 4 figures each? It seems like that is the case, and if so, in this game can I put more models on the base if I desire for aesthetic reasons, (perhaps doing this with every unit equally), as long as I am aware it is a unit of 4? I was thinking of making small cards with the unit qualities on them and I could add this number. Is the physical representaion more important than it appears as it is in many miniature wargames?

As a disclaimer I have not finished the whole rulebook but wanted to get started building and painting as I read so I can play when I am done reading

Thank You

Also, where is the cheapest place to buy HaT miniatures in the states?
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: How important is physical depiction? New to game

Post by petedalby »

Hi and welcome to to the FoG Forum.

Basing is on page 134 - so worth taking a look at that.

Numidians can be fielded as either Light Horse - 2 figures to a base, or as Cavalry - 3 figures to a base. The vast majority of players go with the recommended number of figures because otherwise it can cause confusion on the table.

I can't help you with your HaT question - sorry.

FoG appears to be losing support in the States so hopefully you have a local group who are still on board?
Pete
Whachacha

Post by Whachacha »

Thanks for your response. I play solo, so it would not add confusion to play just me. Your statement "...The vast majority of players go with the recommended number .." suggests I could do this for aesthetic reasons. Thanks for your help!!

What company do you use for your miniatures?
pyruse
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pyruse »

Whachacha wrote:Hi,

Just getting into this game, and I was wondering how the basing works. In the basic rulebook the Carthaginian army for Hannibal lists 4 x Numidian Calvary, and under that again, it lists 4 x Numidian Calvary. does this mean 2 bases with 4 figures each? It seems like that is the case, and if so, in this game can I put more models on the base if I desire for aesthetic reasons, (perhaps doing this with every unit equally), as long as I am aware it is a unit of 4? I was thinking of making small cards with the unit qualities on them and I could add this number. Is the physical representaion more important than it appears as it is in many miniature wargames?
If they are fielded as Light Horse, then they should have 2 figures per base - so 4 x bases of 2 figures.

It's useful to see at a glance which figures are light horse and which are cavalry (because the same figure might be fielded as either).
Whachacha

Post by Whachacha »

Wait so if what the last post says is true, why list 4 x Numidian calvary twice, why not just say 8 x Numidian calvary?
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Wait so if what the last post says is true, why list 4 x Numidian cavalry twice, why not just say 8 x Numidian cavalry?
The 4 x refers to bases. Each BG is listed separately. There are 2 BGs of Numidians, each BG is 4 bases of LH with 2 figures per base.

The 4 x Gallic Cavalry is a BG of 4 bases of cavalry with 3 figures to a base.

The 6 x African Spearmen is a BG of 6 bases of heavy foot with 4 figures to a base.

Hope that helps.
Pete
Whachacha

Post by Whachacha »

Very much so, thanks everyone!!

Return to “Field of Glory : Ancient & Medieval Era 3000 BC-1500 AD : General Discussion”