"All this madness" - now is 0.99 version!

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

kirk23
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: "All this madness" - 0.9 mod version download link up no

Post by kirk23 »

Robotron wrote:
kirk23 wrote:...but Britain's Manpower is always at 100% because of what she gets from all the Convoys, removing the Manpower bonus from convoys is a must have option.
This is easy to fix via a small change in convoys.lua

See here viewtopic.php?f=102&t=66563

I modified mine to let convoys only give a fifth of their unit strength as manpower and a random amount (between 10 and 100%) of their unit strength as production points.

Code: Select all

faction:ConsumeProductionPoints(-unit.hp / math.random(1,10))
faction:ConsumeManpower(-unit.hp/20)

I like the idea of random PPs I will add that to the Convoy script thank you.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Zombo wrote:Is there any written indication in the game that your mod is active? I just want to be sure I'm actually playing with it

EDIT: it's running, the AH are blue :-)
Do Russian units have a yellow icon with the imperial eagle?

I may introduce a special turn 1 event to pop up to let the people know the mod is working.
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

yep, pretty russian icon and new events
all going smoothly

although, as a first impression, I find the CP extremely difficult to play. brussels won't go down without a tough fight, requiring to outflank the city first - nothing like the historical overrun. In the East, Russians are very strong too. Not to mention trying to replicate Tannenberg!
And that's against the AI! I can't imagine what a competent human Entente player would do to me!

Admittedly, these are all vanilla issues, but can't something be done to restore balance? I mean, it's not my first computer wargame, but it's the first time I do systematically worse - really worse!- than my historical counterpart... and against the AI at that!
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Zombo wrote:yep, pretty russian icon and new events
all going smoothly

although, as a first impression, I find the CP extremely difficult to play. brussels won't go down without a tough fight, requiring to outflank the city first - nothing like the historical overrun. In the East, Russians are very strong too. Not to mention trying to replicate Tannenberg!
And that's against the AI! I can't imagine what a competent human Entente player would do to me!

Admittedly, these are all vanilla issues, but can't something be done to restore balance? I mean, it's not my first computer wargame, but it's the first time I do systematically worse - really worse!- than my historical counterpart... and against the AI at that!
Well, I was able to overrun Flanders, take Calais, Reims and Antwerp in Autumn 1914 as the CP vs Priviliged AI. I didn't make a dash for Paris, but frankly it was not part of the plan, as I never attempted to do it 1914, as I was planning on striking Russia and Serbia strongly. While I failed to take Warsaw 1914, but I did take Lodz and made what amounted to a crushing defeat of Serbia.

Having said that, Russia feels a bit too strong and germany a bit too weak. I'll see what other peoplke have to say, but It seems I migth end up strenghtening Germany and possibly giving Russia differen starting infantry.
DanielHerr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by DanielHerr »

And yeah... I'd rather have events where the player gets to choose from several options, but the game doesn't allow for this so far
You could just show a dialog box asking the player to choose an option.
danielherr.github.io
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

It would be neat if it was possible to construct and destroy railroads, but that might also require a map editor.
danielherr.github.io
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Well, I was able to overrun Flanders, take Calais, Reims and Antwerp in Autumn 1914 as the CP vs Priviliged AI.
Damn! what's the secret
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Turn 33 Berlin captured!
Berlin captured.jpg
Berlin captured.jpg (218.16 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Germany surrenders turn 34.jpg
Germany surrenders turn 34.jpg (209.89 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Germany surrenders turn 34.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Turn 41 January 1916 Ultimate victory Entente.jpg
Turn 41 January 1916 Ultimate victory Entente.jpg (224.71 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
Turn 41 January 1916 Ultimate victory Entente. :)
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Zombo wrote:
Well, I was able to overrun Flanders, take Calais, Reims and Antwerp in Autumn 1914 as the CP vs Priviliged AI.
Damn! what's the secret
Send both German fighters, both german artillery to the west front. Plan you moves well, try to strike Brussels with 3 units on turn 1. Next try to to attack weak units up front to make them retreat. Don't follow them with the unit that attacked if possible, rather send a new unit from behind to occupy the terrain and make another attck from the occupuied hex. Send Hindenburg to the wets front as soon as he appears, back him up with a second commander if needed.

Its doable, but I agree, 1914 seems to be much easier as Entente than as CP.

Entente victory in early 1916 or late 1915 was not uncommon in vanilla. I'll try to find ways to beef up Germany in the next version, as well as cutting some British convoy MP should possibly help.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Thanks

I've done better this time - but how do you strike Brussels with 3 units on turn one???? It takes three units + arty to destroy Liège...
I actually found it's even better to send the AH arty because then you can profit from both ammo stocks - although as I said earlier I am not too favourable to these crazy redeployements that would not have been realistic at the time.

what do you mean by backing up? I thought that commanders did not cumulate their bonusses ?

I still the Russians very un-Tannenberg- able in the North.
But actually, I find them not to difficult to contain in galicia, where historically they kinda smashed the AH; Globally, I still feel the Russians are a little too strong

If I may... how does upgrading work? I thought that as soon as you had discovered a tech you could upgrade your units but I'm not given that option until much later

thanks
DanielHerr

Post by DanielHerr »

You can upgrade your units as soon as a tech unlocks, but some upgrades are automatically applied.
danielherr.github.io
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

You can upgrade your units as soon as a tech unlocks, but some upgrades are automatically applied.
Oh, ok... is there a way to know which techs are automatic and which ones are not?

btw, is there also a way to see the stats of a general after it has been integrated to a unit?

thanks
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Well, my CP playthrough ended in July 1916. France capitulated, then Romania entered the war and was overran. This started a chain reaction - Russia collapsed, which hit British morale hard, uprisings in India and South Africa occured, which combined with losses to the Royal Navy made Britain sue for peace.

Italy was the last power standing and she saw no good reason to go on alone.
and yeah I encountered the "Bulgaria fails to join historiclaly" bug, which I will fix in the next version of the mod.
Last edited by Sabratha on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Zombo wrote:Is it possible to do something to limit armies straying far away from their respective sphere of action? AH units in Prussia or on the Western front kinda hurt my eyes. I guess that horrors like Bulgarians fighting in Turkey are also allowed without penalties...
I wish there was some penalty for AH fighting in France, Bulgaria fighting in Turkey etc. I believe it would be possible to give them some negative modifier for being on a hex with a specific "original hex owner", but to be honest I have no idea how to go about coding such a script :/
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

I have several 1.64 MP matches going on at present. One of which I am playing as CP. Entente just used "gas", which caused Bulgaria to go from (approx.) a 10 on the march to war to 3-5 (black). Italy is at 2-3 (black) from entering (2 and half turns). I'll hit the roof if Bulgaria goes RED when Italy enters, which most often that's what happens. Serbia is close to collapse, minor AH victories in that theater are beginning to add up to be decisive Serbian campaign. Without looking into the lua files (sometimes I don't understand them): Is there a (stand alone) percentile that affects Bulgaria's entrée, such as 10% chance, ect. that entrée would come to fruition, if Italy enters? Some sort of non-discreet lua file? I'm just trying to figure out this Bulgaria corundum and perhaps help you out also...

PS: It's turn 23, Galipolli landings just happened: That could be the answer....
Last edited by operating on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

kirk23 wrote:Sabratha The code to display hex coordinates is this.
hud:GetText("turn_text"):SetText(hex.x .. ", " .. hex.y)
Either its not working, or I'm not using it right.

added this to the main_hud.lua file:

Code: Select all

function hud.OnHexClick(hex, button)
hud:GetText("turn_text"):SetText(hex.x .. ", " .. hex.y) --DEBUG
end
Fails to have any effect :/
operating wrote:Without looking into the lua files (sometimes I don't understand them): Is there a (stand alone) percentile that affects Bulgaria's entrée, such as 10% chance, ect. that entrée would come to fruition, if Italy enters? Some sort of non-discreet lua file? I'm just trying to figure out this Bulgaria corundum and perhaps help you out also...
One thing I learned is that sometimes its easier to just write your own code instead of trying to fix someone else's code.

In short, I'm gonna make my own triggers for Bulgaria and the Greek events. They may be less fancy, but they will do their job giving historical outcomes under historical conditions.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Just did a PS to previous post
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Sabratha wrote:Well, my CP playthrough ended in July 1916. France capitulated, then Romania entered the war and was overran. This started a chain reaction - Russia collapsed, which hit British morale hard, uprisings in India and South Africa occured, which combined with losses to the Royal Navy made Britain sue for peace.

Italy was the last power standing and she saw no good reason to go on alone.
and yeah I encountered the "Bulgaria fails to join historiclaly" bug, which I will fix in the next version of the mod.

This script from Diplomacy file has a major effect on Bulgaria not joining the war.

function CheckFactionDOWBalance(faction)

if game.date.year == 1914 and game.turn < 20 then
return true
end

allianceStrength = {}
allianceStrength[1] = 0
allianceStrength[2] = 0
for f in game.factions do
if f.alliance.id ~= 0 then
allianceStrength[f.alliance.id] = allianceStrength[f.alliance.id] + GetFactionEconomicStrength(f)
end
end

if faction.luaData.alignment > 50 and allianceStrength[1] + GetFactionEconomicStrength(faction) + 50 >= allianceStrength[2] then
return true
end
if faction.luaData.alignment < 50 and allianceStrength[2] + GetFactionEconomicStrength(faction) + 50 >= allianceStrength[1] then
return true
end
return false
end

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”